The Student Room Group

Why is philosophy seen as a "********" subject?

I don't understand, why are people so "short-sighted" in this matter and only perceive what they want and refuse any other possibility which may actually the truth.

All people say is "Oh philosophy is so easy it's just ******** and it's so easy i could get an A* in it" and i'm sat here wanting to crush their thick heads in. How can you be so ignorant, yes some a level will be easier than other but not far from other a level subjects.

I would've said(back then) "if it's so easy then why didn't you take it and get an A* in it then?" then they probably would've given me some ******** reason why they don't want to do it.

In any case where they obviously don't want to do it, that's fine because you have other prospects which you want to do and other jobs/courses/dreams you wanna pursue. However you can't just say a subject is "********" just because you think that. Especially with subjects you must try them before you have an opinion on them.

Why do people not say "oh English is just ******** all you have to do is waffle on and then it's easy to get an A*" why do i never hear this being said? Philosophy is so much more difficult than English. Philosophy you must have knowledge facts and justification and many examples to back up your claim, English however (i heard from my philosophy teacher who had a degree in English lit) said that you can literally just know almost nothing about the texts, waffle on write a huge essay and still get a good grade. Like i said philosophy you can't do that.

TL: DR People think philosophy is ******** at first glance and refuse to change their opinion about it. If people say that it's so easy to get an A* in philosophy then why don't they do it and get an A*? Why don't people criticise English for being "********" ? it's much worse than philosophy and you can write a huge waffle essay on almost no knowledge of texts yet you can still get top grade whereas you cannot do that with philosophy.

Scroll to see replies

1. Calm down. Very few people will have this opinion and it's not worth getting so worked up over. People find ways to criticise every subject.

2. You complain that philosophy is said to be a subject where you can waffle and do well, yet you go on to say the same about English, which you haven't even studied at a high level (?) English is actually very strict when it comes to doing well, you have to follow the assessment objectives perfectly, and you certainly need to know the texts when most exams are closed book.

Both are respectable subjects. Don't take it to heart too much.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol, you lost me at the end. Good luck trying to get an A* in English Literature with little to no knowledge of the text.

I agree that Philosophy shouldn't be regarded as soft though.
Lot's of people criticise English. At the university level both are very demanding subjects that tend to produce thoughtful, intelligent graduates. But before then... not so much.
Reply 4
Original post by Changing Skies
1. Calm down. Very few people will have this opinion and it's not worth getting so worked up over. People find ways to criticise every subject.

2. You complain that philosophy is said to be a subject where you can waffle and do well, yet you go on to say the same about English, which you haven't even studied at a high level (?) English is actually very strict when it comes to doing well, you have to follow the assessment objectives perfectly, and you certainly need to know the texts when most exams are closed book.

Both are respectable subjects. Don't take it to heart too much.

phew >.< had to let that off somewhere since so many people just say oh it's philosophy it's so easy it's basically a free a level and it boils my blood the most when other people go ahead and agree with them :angry:

Philosophy is said to be a waffle subject but it's definitely not, however you can criticise me on the English bit because i haven't taken it, which is fair enough, but i'm just going off what my philosophy teacher said to me(he has a english lit degree). maybe i don't know but he said that it's much easier to waffle and english and get a good grade compared to waffling in philosophy and getting a good grade. I'm not sticking firmly and saying that English definitely is the subject i stated above in my huge descriptive paragraph but i'm sure just a little evidence would be sufficient to sway me to believe english like philosophy isn't a BS subject.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Lol, you lost me at the end. Good luck trying to get an A* in English Literature with little to no knowledge of the text.

I agree that Philosophy shouldn't be regarded as soft though.

The end was saying how different philosophy and english essays are in terms of content
Reply 5
Original post by RayApparently
Lot's of people criticise English. At the university level both are very demanding subjects that tend to produce thoughtful, intelligent graduates. But before then... not so much.

Why? I don't see a problem with it, i'm sure english teaches you to think creatively and come up with lots of things on the spot.
Reply 6
What's with all the ***********?
Reply 7
Original post by omfgalib
What's with all the ***********?

With all the bull ****?
Reply 8
Original post by dskinner
With all the bull ****?

calm down
Reply 9
Original post by omfgalib
calm down

fair but just because i get some of the best grades in it doesn't mean that it's easy(i did recently get my grades back and i did get 2nd best overall in the year)
Lol I do both Philosophy and English Lit. Both are incredibly difficult and demanding- for me Philosophy is harder. I find it my most difficult A level (I do Maths, English, Psychology, Philosophy & Creative Writing as an extension course). Im dropping Philosophy next year because i don't think i can hack it at A2 :ahhhhh: Literally, i also find it somewhat dull, especially with the emphasis on the existence of god (idc. Im a non believer so seriously, the fact that a lot of philosophy is linked to a god is annoying, especially the 4 arguments for the existence of god)
English Literature is also incredibly hard. If you get a weird question then rip. Also, quite a bit is closed book D: The fact that it's linear now scares me.
Lol, dw about the ignorant people who say Philosophy is 'soft' or an easy A level. It was an easy A* at GCSE, but at A level it's a completely different ballgame. Clearly philosophy is considered rigorous, as Trinity's list of preferred subjects have it listed as an 'A list' subject (Same list as English lit. ) Honestly, whenever people tell me philosophy is easy, I just laugh bc its actually hilarious. Ive gone past the stage of getting annoyed at them, I just sympathise with them for their ignorance. Though next time someone says its an easy A, i'd be tempted to give them one of the questions from my paper; "Explain how Irreducible Complexity points towards an intelligent designer" Like yeah m8 lets see you get that A grade answering that ._____.
Original post by RueXO
Lol I do both Philosophy and English Lit. Both are incredibly difficult and demanding- for me Philosophy is harder. I find it my most difficult A level (I do Maths, English, Psychology, Philosophy & Creative Writing as an extension course). Im dropping Philosophy next year because i don't think i can hack it at A2 :ahhhhh: Literally, i also find it somewhat dull, especially with the emphasis on the existence of god (idc. Im a non believer so seriously, the fact that a lot of philosophy is linked to a god is annoying, especially the 4 arguments for the existence of god)
English Literature is also incredibly hard. If you get a weird question then rip. Also, quite a bit is closed book D: The fact that it's linear now scares me.
Lol, dw about the ignorant people who say Philosophy is 'soft' or an easy A level. It was an easy A* at GCSE, but at A level it's a completely different ballgame. Clearly philosophy is considered rigorous, as Trinity's list of preferred subjects have it listed as an 'A list' subject (Same list as English lit. ) Honestly, whenever people tell me philosophy is easy, I just laugh bc its actually hilarious. Ive gone past the stage of getting annoyed at them, I just sympathise with them for their ignorance. Though next time someone says its an easy A, i'd be tempted to give them one of the questions from my paper; "Explain how Irreducible Complexity points towards an intelligent designer" Like yeah m8 lets see you get that A grade answering that ._____.

It would probs be easy if I study it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supercrazy21
It would probs be easy if I study it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 13
All A levels are soft. :wink: But I imagine Philosophy is quite demanding at university.
I don't understand, why are people so "short-sighted" in this matter and only perceive what they want and refuse any other possibility which may actually the truth.

All people say is "Oh philosophy is so easy it's just ******** and it's so easy i could get an A* in it" and i'm sat here wanting to crush their thick heads in. How can you be so ignorant, yes some a level will be easier than other but not far from other a level subjects.

I would've said(back then) "if it's so easy then why didn't you take it and get an A* in it then?" then they probably would've given me some ******** reason why they don't want to do it.

In any case where they obviously don't want to do it, that's fine because you have other prospects which you want to do and other jobs/courses/dreams you wanna pursue. However you can't just say a subject is "********" just because you think that. Especially with subjects you must try them before you have an opinion on them.

Why do people not say "oh English is just ******** all you have to do is waffle on and then it's easy to get an A*" why do i never hear this being said? Philosophy is so much more difficult than English. Philosophy you must have knowledge facts and justification and many examples to back up your claim, English however (i heard from my philosophy teacher who had a degree in English lit) said that you can literally just know almost nothing about the texts, waffle on write a huge essay and still get a good grade. Like i said philosophy you can't do that.

TL: DR People think philosophy is ******** at first glance and refuse to change their opinion about it. If people say that it's so easy to get an A* in philosophy then why don't they do it and get an A*? Why don't people criticise English for being "********" ? it's much worse than philosophy and you can write a huge waffle essay on almost no knowledge of texts yet you can still get top grade whereas you cannot do that with philosophy.

You're banging on about a subject you have no idea about? Smart move dude.

I did my A level in English Language Literature and waffling without knowing anything about the texts got you about an E tops. I'd know because one of my friends waffled and got a terrible grade. My whole class struggled with answering English questions through the year because you have to time yourself with analysis just to get a decent grade. I got an A* in my paper a day before the exam and I can tell you I did the complete opposite of waffling. Ask any decent English teacher. It's a huge no no.

Very few people think Philo is a fluffy subject and why do you worry about what they think?

I just find it sad you're putting down a subject that's actually pretty demanding and you know nothing about. Shows how insecure you are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You're banging on about a subject you have no idea about? Smart move dude.

I did my A level in English Language Literature and waffling without knowing anything about the texts got you about an E tops. I'd know because one of my friends waffled and got a terrible grade. My whole class struggled with answering English questions through the year because you have to time yourself with analysis just to get a decent grade. I got an A* in my paper a day before the exam and I can tell you I did the complete opposite of waffling. Ask any decent English teacher. It's a huge no no.

Very few people think Philo is a fluffy subject and why do you worry about what they think?

I just find it sad you're putting down a subject that's actually pretty demanding and you know nothing about. Shows how insecure you are.

well i guess i was wrong....

Cause all they do is pick on philosophy can call me unskilled how i basically have a free subject under my belt and how easy life must be for me because i do a "bull ****" subject.

Well i'm just basing it upon what my teacher said and of course i'm insecure about that fact english is BS because i don't know much about it since i don't take it and i've only got word from a teacher so yea :/
Reply 16
well i guess i was wrong....

Cause all they do is pick on philosophy can call me unskilled how i basically have a free subject under my belt and how easy life must be for me because i do a "bull ****" subject.

Well i'm just basing it upon what my teacher said and of course i'm insecure about that fact english is BS because i don't know much about it since i don't take it and i've only got word from a teacher so yea :/

To be fair in my experience waffling/being ignorant can get you to a certain point in English. I have a friend who revised the night before a closed book exam after barely paying attention in class and got a C out of it. Personally I got an A* with much less work than for my other subjects, although I did memorise a large number of quotes and spend a lot of time independently analysing/thinking about the text.
Reply 17
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
To be fair in my experience waffling/being ignorant can get you to a certain point in English. I have a friend who revised the night before a closed book exam after barely paying attention in class and got a C out of it. Personally I got an A* with much less work than for my other subjects, although I did memorise a large number of quotes and spend a lot of time independently analysing/thinking about the text.

That's fair enough you learnt the stuff

but i mean c'mon GCSE english lit and learning and analysing poems is all BS one can't dispute that, you're trying to make something out of nothing
because philosophy sounds like an easy subject. its a sophy, like psychology and sociology are ologies.
Reply 19
That's fair enough you learnt the stuff

but i mean c'mon GCSE english lit and learning and analysing poems is all BS one can't dispute that, you're trying to make something out of nothing

GCSE English Lit is easy but I don't think English Lit is entirely BS. A bit pointless, maybe, but a lot of interesting things don't have a direct practical application. At lower levels it is useful for encouraging one's analytical skills, ability to argue points, and understanding of multiple/contrasting interpretations, as well as exploring ideas about human nature and informing us about historical human experience when we learn from older literature. It may seem stupid when you're arguing some obscure crap that the author definitely never consciously thought of but on the whole I wouldn't say it's BS.

Quick Reply

Latest