The Student Room Group

What to study for Further Maths A2

Hi, have finished norm maths, with S1 and M1 as optional parts, and wish to do further maths A2, what 6 modules do you recommend studying?
Thanks

(Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SebT123
Hi, have finished norm maths, with S1 and M1 as optional parts, and wish to do further maths A2, what 6 modules do you recommend studying?
Thanks

(Edexcel)

AS and A2, I take it you mean.

I picked up both in Year 13, and studied FP1-2, M1, D1 and S1-4 overall (two of the applied units went to A-level maths) and to be honest, I would recommend doing the same combination if you don't find stats boring and there isn't a 'suggestion' for whatever uni/course you want to do that preference is shown to those who study multiple mechanics modules (I've seen this before but can't remember what for, might've been something engineering related). Some people find stats boring, which is fair enough, but it's definitely far more straightforward than mechanics.

For Edexcel, S1 is kind of misleading in that it's very different to S2-4. You see a bunch of things in S1 that kind of bridges the gap between GCSE and A-level, whereas with the other units it focuses on different distributions, tests etc that you get a glimpse of in S1 (the normal distribution part, specifically). Are they riveting modules... not as riveting as documentaries about ships being constructed, but they're okay, and in terms of difficulty, not that bad. I would not say that any of them are more difficult than C4 in A-level maths, but that is just how I found them, and S4 is very short (3 chapters long!) and is of similar difficulty to S2, oddly enough, so S3 is as difficult as it gets, and even then, not hugely difficult.

D1 is probably the easiest maths module out of the 18 options in terms of content. The exam/getting stuff righht/timings etc can be a pain to master but once you do that, it's a good source of UMS. I've only just started looking at D2 for unrelated purposes and it doesn't seem too bad.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM

I picked up both in Year 13, and studied FP1-2, M1, D1 and S1-4 overall (two of the applied units went to A-level maths) and to be honest, I would recommend doing the same combination if you don't find stats boring and there isn't a 'suggestion' for whatever uni/course you want to do that preference is shown to those who study multiple mechanics modules (I've seen this before but can't remember what for, might've been something engineering related). Some people find stats boring, which is fair enough, but it's definitely far more straightforward than mechanics.

For Edexcel, S1 is kind of misleading in that it's very different to S2-4. You see a bunch of things in S1 that kind of bridges the gap between GCSE and A-level, whereas with the other units it focuses on different distributions, tests etc that you get a glimpse of in S1 (the normal distribution part, specifically). Are they riveting modules... not as riveting as documentaries about ships being constructed, but they're okay, and in terms of difficulty, not that bad. I would not say that any of them are more difficult than C4 in A-level maths, but that is just how I found them, and S4 is very short (3 chapters long!) and is of similar difficulty to S2, oddly enough, so S3 is as difficult as it gets, and even then, not hugely difficult.

D1 is probably the easiest maths module out of the 18 options in terms of content. The exam/getting stuff righht/timings etc can be a pain to master but once you do that, it's a good source of UMS. I've only just started looking at D2 for unrelated purposes and it doesn't seem too bad.

Hi thanks for your reply!
I personally didn't enjoy s1, and found it quite boring. I was thinking of Fp1,2 and 3, with M2,3 and 4? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks
Original post by SebT123
I personally didn't enjoy s1, and found it quite boring. I was thinking of Fp1,2 and 3, with M2,3 and 4? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks

:hat2:
Oh okay, what bits in particular, or why do you feel, that S1 was boring?

I didn't study anything more than M1 but I have no doubt that the mechanics modules are more difficult than the stats / decision modules. If it's something you're interested in or particularly relevant for like mecheng or whatever (I'm not familiar with all of that stuff to be honest) then go for it.

Perhaps instead of FP3 or M4 you could do D1?
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
:hat2:
Oh okay, what bits in particular, or why do you feel, that S1 was boring?

I didn't study anything more than M1 but I have no doubt that the mechanics modules are more difficult than the stats / decision modules. If it's something you're interested in or particularly relevant for like mecheng or whatever (I'm not familiar with all of that stuff to be honest) then go for it.

Perhaps instead of FP3 or M4 you could do D1?

yeah, i think that would be a better choice to do D1 instead of Fp3, and pos D2 instead of M4. What do u think of D2?

I wasn't a fan of the normal distribution, but the rest was fairly straight forward I think. I also am looking at doing physics at uni, where i think the mechanics route is more applicable.

Many Thanks
Reply 5
FP1-3, M2, S2, and then if you find mechanics or stats easy M3 or S3 might be a good option, otherwise perhaps delve into the sad realm of D1
Reply 6
Original post by SebT123

I'd say it's an excellent combination but I'd prefer S2 in place of M4 because S2 is much, much easier. It's a free A*, no joke - me and another friend of mine studied it over a day and a half and we're both expecting A*s.

Also make sure you do all the pure units whatever you do.
Reply 7
Original post by Ayman!
I'd say it's an excellent combination but I'd prefer S2 in place of M4 because S2 is much, much easier. It's a free A*, no joke - me and another friend of mine studied it over a day and a half and we're both expecting A*s.

Also make sure you do all the pure units whatever you do.

Ok, Why all of the pures? Is S2 really that simple, and I've heard that D1 is easy but very boring.
Original post by SebT123
yeah, i think that would be a better choice to do D1 instead of Fp3, and pos D2 instead of M4. What do u think of D2?

I wasn't a fan of the normal distribution, but the rest was fairly straight forward I think. I also am looking at doing physics at uni, where i think the mechanics route is more applicable.

Many Thanks

Yeah maybe, just to ensure you get a good enough grade :tongue: (or maximise your chances, at least). From what I know about Physics at my uni, doing FP3 would give you a small advantage but they'd teach you the further maths parts that you need to know (stuff from FP2/FP3) but I dunno, have a look at the courses you do and how much support they give.

I've only seen under a chapter of D2, so far it is not too bad.

Oh okay. The normal distribution might not be particularly interesting but I would say that if you're good at it / have the hang of it, it's basically the same skills being applied in S2, S3 and S4 with a few extra topics on top.
Reply 9
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
FP1-3, M2, S2, and then if you find mechanics or stats easy M3 or S3 might be a good option, otherwise perhaps delve into the sad realm of D1

yeah, from this thread and other sources, i reckon fp1-3, S2, m2 and m3 now

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by SebT123
Ok, Why all of the pures?

If you plan on going into STEM or economics, it will be much more helpful to do FP3 - even if it's a little tougher than other modules.

Is S2 really that simple, and I've heard that D1 is easy but very boring.

I found S2 to be nicer than S1. Fairly straightforward and nice. I can't say much about D1 since I haven't done it :tongue:

FP1-3, S2, M2 and M3 was my combination (along with S3 as an extra) - good luck!
Original post by sebt123
hi, have finished norm maths, with s1 and m1 as optional parts, and wish to do further maths a2, what 6 modules do you recommend studying?
Thanks

(edexcel)

fp1, d1, d2, fp2, fp3, fp4
Reply 12
Original post by Ayman!
If you plan on going into STEM or economics, it will be much more helpful to do FP3 - even if it's a little tougher than other modules.

I found S2 to be nicer than S1. Fairly straightforward and nice. I can't say much about D1 since I haven't done it :tongue:

FP1-3, S2, M2 and M3 was my combination (along with S3 as an extra) - good luck!

many thanks, believe that your combination minus the s3 should be the one for me!
Original post by SeanFM

How bad is S3?
Original post by iMacJack
How bad is S3?

Most difficult stats module in my opinion, S4 is not as difficult, or so I found. Some tricky bits to get your head around but not too bad after you do.
Original post by SeanFM
Most difficult stats module in my opinion, S4 is not as difficult, or so I found. Some tricky bits to get your head around but not too bad after you do.

Hmm I see - is it a long module?
Hmm I see - is it a long module?

Not particularly. Just a normal module.
Reply 17
How bad is S3?

S3 is harder than S1 and S2 but it's stats so it's still piss. Mostly made up of tedious "recipe" questions.
Reply 18
How bad is S3?

Not bad at all. Chapter 1 is quite nice and 5 could be in S1.

3 and 4 are quite meaty but the bulk of it is just hypothesis testing.

2 will make you want to kill yourself. :smile:

Nah, in all seriousness, I thought S2 would get a lot trickier at times than S3 simply because the wording on S2 was a lot more annoying to comprehend.
Original post by SeanFM
Not particularly. Just a normal module.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
S3 is harder than S1 and S2 but it's stats so it's still piss. Mostly made up of tedious "recipe" questions.

Original post by Ayman!
Not bad at all. Chapter 1 is quite nice and 5 could be in S1.

3 and 4 are quite meaty but the bulk of it is just hypothesis testing.

2 will make you want to kill yourself. :smile:

Nah, in all seriousness, I thought S2 would get a lot trickier at times than S3 simply because the wording on S2 was a lot more annoying to comprehend.

Awesome cheers lads :smile:

Quick Reply