The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Do you need a wristband to go to the Freshers' Fair?

I was wondering whether it would be possible to go to the Freshers' Fair without buying the wristband. I don't really want to buy one as I'm not sure whether the activities on offer will be my sort of thing, plus I'm not staying in halls so I don't need to worry about hall-mate bonding, but I do want to go to the society sign-ups. Is that possible?
Original post by MsDiagram
I was wondering whether it would be possible to go to the Freshers' Fair without buying the wristband. I don't really want to buy one as I'm not sure whether the activities on offer will be my sort of thing, plus I'm not staying in halls so I don't need to worry about hall-mate bonding, but I do want to go to the society sign-ups. Is that possible?

Hi,

Yes, totally :smile: The Fresher's Wristband gets you into certain daytime and evening events, but the Clubs & Societies Fair is open to everyone. Plus some societies run their own welcome events that don't require a wristband. There's a list of societies here if you want to get in touch with anyone before you arrive :smile:

Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

Yes, totally :smile: The Fresher's Wristband gets you into certain daytime and evening events, but the Clubs & Societies Fair is open to everyone. Plus some societies run their own welcome events that don't require a wristband. There's a list of societies here if you want to get in touch with anyone before you arrive :smile:

Persephone

Thanks for your help! Good to know :biggrin: I already have my eye on a couple I'd like to join...
Hey there! I didn't get the wristband in first year either and I don't feel like I missed out on much. What societies are you looking at? :smile: If you want a general overview of uni and the societies you can check out my blog here but I'd be happy to answer any questions!
Reply 4
Original post by dezza156
Hey there! I didn't get the wristband in first year either and I don't feel like I missed out on much. What societies are you looking at? :smile: If you want a general overview of uni and the societies you can check out my blog here but I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Thanks! I'll check out your blog now :smile: I'm thinking about joining the baking society, the creative writing society and my subject specific societies too. I'm also a bit tempted by NSR...
Thanks! I'll check out your blog now :smile: I'm thinking about joining the baking society, the creative writing society and my subject specific societies too. I'm also a bit tempted by NSR...

You should definitely join the Baking Society! I'm the Treasurer of it 2016-17, so please come visit us at the freshers' fair :smile: If you have any questions about it then please ask. Also, if you have any other questions about the freshers' wristband then feel free to ask too - I bought it last year, and I am also a freshers' crew member for this year :smile:

I was the Treasurer for creative writing this year!! We've just published a book with some of our members pieces of work here if you'd like a read :smile: The new committee are ace so you should have an awesome year ahead of you there! I'll be at the Irish Dancing stall at the freshers fair if you wanna pop by and say hi! :smile:
Original post by dezza156
I was the Treasurer for creative writing this year!! We've just published a book with some of our members pieces of work here if you'd like a read :smile: The new committee are ace so you should have an awesome year ahead of you there! I'll be at the Irish Dancing stall at the freshers fair if you wanna pop by and say hi! :smile:

Do you know Tilly and Devon who are going onto the committee in September? I'm friends with them both and I'm living with Tilly next year, small world!
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Do you know Tilly and Devon who are going onto the committee in September? I'm friends with them both and I'm living with Tilly next year, small world!

Yeah we all went on CreSoc's writing retreat together! Small world indeed!
Hi, I was wondering what the freshers wristband will get us? I hear it's available to purchase early August. There are a few promotion events like 'icebreaker' and 'fck me' that are going around, so I don't know whether I should purchase tickets for one or two of them or get the wristband? Does the wristband include these events or?

Cheers
Original post by Student1697
Hi, I was wondering what the freshers wristband will get us? I hear it's available to purchase early August. There are a few promotion events like 'icebreaker' and 'fck me' that are going around, so I don't know whether I should purchase tickets for one or two of them or get the wristband? Does the wristband include these events or?

Cheers

The official uni wristband doesn't include these events - there's 2 wrisrbands, one by the uni and one by another company. With the uni £60 wristband you get access to the 7 nights out organised by the freshers crew as well as many day time events, whereas the other one is like 4 evening events from what I can remember and not all on freshers week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending