The Student Room Group

Ask a first year student nurse!

Hello guys! Congratulations to all of you who have a place on a nursing course and to those of you who are still trying...don't give up!

I am coming to the end of my first year as a student mental health nurse at the University of Nottingham and I am LOVING it! If anyone has questions, whether they're mental heath specific or general...you're welcome to ask me :smile: If you prefer, inbox me.

Xxxx
Reply 1
Original post by KittyAnneR
Hello guys! Congratulations to all of you who have a place on a nursing course and to those of you who are still trying...don't give up!

I am coming to the end of my first year as a student mental health nurse at the University of Nottingham and I am LOVING it! If anyone has questions, whether they're mental heath specific or general...you're welcome to ask me :smile: If you prefer, inbox me.

Xxxx

Hey, I'm just wondering if there's anything you'd recommend investing in before the course starts? I'm attending a different uni, and doing adult nursing so I know reading lists will be different. But stationary wise/clothing etc - basically anything that costs money is there anything you'd recommend? I'm quite keen to get anything I might need whilst I'm still working to take some of the financial pressure off when I start in February :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hey! Which subjects did you take and at what level? And how has your experience as a first year at Nottingham been so far?
Reply 3
Original post by JP0506
Hey, I'm just wondering if there's anything you'd recommend investing in before the course starts? I'm attending a different uni, and doing adult nursing so I know reading lists will be different. But stationary wise/clothing etc - basically anything that costs money is there anything you'd recommend? I'm quite keen to get anything I might need whilst I'm still working to take some of the financial pressure off when I start in February :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

Firstly, I would invest in 'The Student Nurse Handbook' by Bethann Siviter. Such a useful book to read before you start. I also recommend a good medicine calculation book, there are lots of decent ones on Amazon. I also have an Anatomy and Physiology book, but different unis recommend different ones so you might want to wait :smile:. The only other book I would say is worth investing in now, is the Royal Marsden Manual of Clinical Skill (Student Edition). University libraries usually have hundreds of books so dont waste youe money on loads!

Next thing I have found endlessly useful is a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff) which is also available really cheap on Amazon. These are esssential for practicing your BP taking at home.

When on placement it is useful to have a fob watch, to wear on your uniform and a little pocket notebook so you can jot down anything you learn/ you want to research later. A decent water bottle is a good idea too- I've got a Camelbak, but there are cheaper ones that are just as good.

As for clothes, when you're at uni you will generally just be wearing normal clothes. Your uni with also provide your uniform. However, I know some people have found the NHS trousers a bit itchy so you might need some extra black/navy blue trousers- but again, it might be worth waiting to see. An important thing to invest in for placements is COMFY SHOES. They usually have to be black and cover the whole foot. A lot of people buy 'Unloops' from Clarks, but I have the 'Evianna' ones as I thought they were less ugly :tongue: Go Walk shoes from Skechers are also amazing and a popular choice among nurses.

Stationery-wise, I guess there is no wrong answer. You obviously need a laptop or at least access to a computer, notebooks, pens (also very important for placements) plus whatever else you think you might need. Definitely get a diary though. I went through first year without one and it was a nightmare. I've just bought myself a nice mid-year one and it is really useful on placement so I can jot down my shifts and any work I need to do!

That's all I can think of right now. These are all the things I found most useful this year anyway! Hope this helps xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jayce.x
Hey! Which subjects did you take and at what level? And how has your experience as a first year at Nottingham been so far?

:smile: Hello!

Well I am a mature student and I had a bit of a career change. I previously studied graphic design at degree level. However, it was recent enough that I didn't need to do an access course.

Prior to my degree I did do A levels. I did psychology (I got a C), English Language (I got a B) and graphic design (I got a B) and 2 AS levels in textiles (C) and fine art (B). This was before A*s came in, A was the highest level then.

When I applied, Nottingham were asking for BBB, but accepted me because I did a good personal statement and had a good level of experience in health care! I was chuffed tbh.

My first year has been AMAZING! Not gonna lie, it can be tough at times, when you're juggling academic work, placements and placement work- whilst also trying to have a social life. But it is doable and so worth it! My placements have been phenomenal and I've learned so much from them. I finish my last placement of the year this Friday and I am so sad to leave!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending