The Student Room Group

Why is philosophy seen as a "********" subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What, that's a stupid assumption, that's just a logical fallacy.

That's wrong, i hate people who assume weird stuff without trying it.
Reply 21
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
GCSE English Lit is easy but I don't think English Lit is entirely BS. A bit pointless, maybe, but a lot of interesting things don't have a direct practical application. At lower levels it is useful for encouraging one's analytical skills, ability to argue points, and understanding of multiple/contrasting interpretations, as well as exploring ideas about human nature and informing us about historical human experience when we learn from older literature. It may seem stupid when you're arguing some obscure crap that the author definitely never consciously thought of but on the whole I wouldn't say it's BS.

pardon the language but this is exactly my view on english lit where you're trying to expand something from nothing

There are much better ways to improve analytical techniques i'm sure and there's better ways to improve ones arguments and argumentative skill
Reply 22
Original post by dskinner

pardon the language but this is exactly my view on english lit where you're trying to expand something from nothing

There are much better ways to improve analytical techniques i'm sure and there's better ways to improve ones arguments and argumentative skill

Yes I have seen this but meh. To me, it's not about what the author had on their mind when they were writing the piece, it's about what the reader brings to it. I think an open mind goes a long way and all our experiences are pretty much subjective anyway; English Lit lets you explore that. Tbh it is the more philosophical discussions that come from analysing a text that interest me and indeed Philosophy is an intriguing subject to me; I was quite up for taking it at uni for a while. But I think English Lit offers something more concrete at GCSE level and the only subject that encourages similar skills to the same degree is History, though that has less emphasis on things like subtext and metaphor and analysis of large bodies of work.
:lol:

Sophies can be just as taxing as ologies. :yep:

I would recommend Philosophy to people as a hard subject. It can also be very absorbing and broaden the mind and make you much more aware of things like opinions, how people think, what people think about, the process of thinking, etc as well as lots of other interesting things.
Reply 24
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes I have seen this but meh. To me, it's not about what the author had on their mind when they were writing the piece, it's about what the reader brings to it. I think an open mind goes a long way and all our experiences are pretty much subjective anyway; English Lit lets you explore that. Tbh it is the more philosophical discussions that come from analysing a text that interest me and indeed Philosophy is an intriguing subject to me; I was quite up for taking it at uni for a while. But I think English Lit offers something more concrete at GCSE level and the only subject that encourages similar skills to the same degree is History, though that has less emphasis on things like subtext and metaphor and analysis of large bodies of work.

Well i guess since my imagination is like a potato i can't do much in terms of creativity >.>

Not much in proper literary criticism is as simple-minded or as provably false as your simple example though.

At its best, criticism really lifts veils and helps with understanding pieces of fiction. I was thinking today about JRR Tolkien - last night there was a programme on about the Battle of the Somme, where Tolkien served and a literary critic has written a book about how strongly JRRT was influenced by his experiences there. He wasn't simplistic about it and you couldn't help agreeing with many of his conclusions - it really illuminated thinking about Tolkien's work.
Reply 26
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not much in proper literary criticism is as simple-minded or as provably false as your simple example though.

At its best, criticism really lifts veils and helps with understanding pieces of fiction. I was thinking today about JRR Tolkien - last night there was a programme on about the Battle of the Somme, where Tolkien served and a literary critic has written a book about how strongly JRRT was influenced by his experiences there. He wasn't simplistic about it and you couldn't help agreeing with many of his conclusions - it really illuminated thinking about Tolkien's work.

I guess, but then again it's difficult for me to talk or enjoy something i 'm not interested in :/

That's fair i guess others enjoy it more than me
I don't understand, why are people so "short-sighted" in this matter and only perceive what they want and refuse any other possibility which may actually the truth.

All people say is "Oh philosophy is so easy it's just ******** and it's so easy i could get an A* in it" and i'm sat here wanting to crush their thick heads in. How can you be so ignorant, yes some a level will be easier than other but not far from other a level subjects.

I would've said(back then) "if it's so easy then why didn't you take it and get an A* in it then?" then they probably would've given me some ******** reason why they don't want to do it.

In any case where they obviously don't want to do it, that's fine because you have other prospects which you want to do and other jobs/courses/dreams you wanna pursue. However you can't just say a subject is "********" just because you think that. Especially with subjects you must try them before you have an opinion on them.

Why do people not say "oh English is just ******** all you have to do is waffle on and then it's easy to get an A*" why do i never hear this being said? Philosophy is so much more difficult than English. Philosophy you must have knowledge facts and justification and many examples to back up your claim, English however (i heard from my philosophy teacher who had a degree in English lit) said that you can literally just know almost nothing about the texts, waffle on write a huge essay and still get a good grade. Like i said philosophy you can't do that.

TL: DR People think philosophy is ******** at first glance and refuse to change their opinion about it. If people say that it's so easy to get an A* in philosophy then why don't they do it and get an A*? Why don't people criticise English for being "********" ? it's much worse than philosophy and you can write a huge waffle essay on almost no knowledge of texts yet you can still get top grade whereas you cannot do that with philosophy.

The fact that it is hard to get A* does not imply that it is a desirable subject.
Good luck.
This is why I love maths. You learn the rules and apply them and there's no ******** interpretations.
Original post by fefssdf
This is why I love maths. You learn the rules and apply them and there's no ******** interpretations.

Everything in the universe is subject to interpretation, including maths. The only reason you think mathematics is free from this is because people have decided to agree on the value of axioms. In theory, there's nothing stopping anyone from coming up with their own value of axioms. In other words, there's only no interpretation once you agree on the interpretation.
I don't understand, why are people so "short-sighted" in this matter and only perceive what they want and refuse any other possibility which may actually the truth.

All people say is "Oh philosophy is so easy it's just ******** and it's so easy i could get an A* in it" and i'm sat here wanting to crush their thick heads in. How can you be so ignorant, yes some a level will be easier than other but not far from other a level subjects.

I would've said(back then) "if it's so easy then why didn't you take it and get an A* in it then?" then they probably would've given me some ******** reason why they don't want to do it.

In any case where they obviously don't want to do it, that's fine because you have other prospects which you want to do and other jobs/courses/dreams you wanna pursue. However you can't just say a subject is "********" just because you think that. Especially with subjects you must try them before you have an opinion on them.

Why do people not say "oh English is just ******** all you have to do is waffle on and then it's easy to get an A*" why do i never hear this being said? Philosophy is so much more difficult than English. Philosophy you must have knowledge facts and justification and many examples to back up your claim, English however (i heard from my philosophy teacher who had a degree in English lit) said that you can literally just know almost nothing about the texts, waffle on write a huge essay and still get a good grade. Like i said philosophy you can't do that.

TL: DR People think philosophy is ******** at first glance and refuse to change their opinion about it. If people say that it's so easy to get an A* in philosophy then why don't they do it and get an A*? Why don't people criticise English for being "********" ? it's much worse than philosophy and you can write a huge waffle essay on almost no knowledge of texts yet you can still get top grade whereas you cannot do that with philosophy.

Hey!

I get how you feel - philosophy is a fairly underestimated subject mainly because it is not a very popular A-level! I think it's quite hard for the layman to grasp the complexity of all the theories learnt and how this subject requires a lot of thought outside of the classroom setting. I personally studied philosophy for 4.5 years (4 years because it was a compulsory subject in my previous school) and another half a year at AS because I decided that I preferred to study it as an interest and less of an examinable subject.

It took me ages to understand the argument for justified true belief and Gettier's problems and apply it in an essay :tongue: I spent the most time studying for this subject (as compared to economics, chemistry, biology and maths) so I definitely think it is one of the tougher A-levels.

From the outset, philosophy seems easy because most of it is made out to be simple logic but you could always just blow their minds with, say, the ontological argument :wink: In all seriousness though, I've received countless looks of admiration from fellow peers when they discover I study (or rather, studied) philosophy! I'm sure the people you've mentioned in your post are simply quick to judge and are in the minority.

Kudos to you for studying philosophy at A-level! It's no mean feat and you deserve to be aristotle-y proud of yourself whoo
Reply 31
Original post by ODES_PDES
The fact that it is hard to get A* does not imply that it is a desirable subject.
Good luck.

But the fact that people only see it at face-value and see it in a completely wrong light means people give incorrect opinions
Original post by fefssdf

Me 2 i love maths since you can have only correct answers there's no it could be this or that, there's a set number of answers
Original post by rosemondtan
Hey!

I get how you feel - philosophy is a fairly underestimated subject mainly because it is not a very popular A-level! I think it's quite hard for the layman to grasp the complexity of all the theories learnt and how this subject requires a lot of thought outside of the classroom setting. I personally studied philosophy for 4.5 years (4 years because it was a compulsory subject in my previous school) and another half a year at AS because I decided that I preferred to study it as an interest and less of an examinable subject.

It took me ages to understand the argument for justified true belief and Gettier's problems and apply it in an essay :tongue: I spent the most time studying for this subject (as compared to economics, chemistry, biology and maths) so I definitely think it is one of the tougher A-levels.

From the outset, philosophy seems easy because most of it is made out to be simple logic but you could always just blow their minds with, say, the ontological argument :wink: In all seriousness though, I've received countless looks of admiration from fellow peers when they discover I study (or rather, studied) philosophy! I'm sure the people you've mentioned in your post are simply quick to judge and are in the minority.

Kudos to you for studying philosophy at A-level! It's no mean feat and you deserve to be aristotle-y proud of yourself whoo

Haven't leanrt these :tongue: but then again the nature of belief(faith vs reason) took me soooo long to understand but once i understood it i was so happy since it made so much sense and that they were brilliant arguments against god :biggrin:

St Anselm is the AIDS of the earth. That guy is a mess, all you have to do to fun him up is just look at God's qualities and say well those don't work so that funs up the rest of his argument :biggrin:

Philosophy is awesome i enjoy destroying people when i can it's satisfying ^-^
Personally, I would dread the idea of doing alevel philosophy and would gladly study a level chem or bio instead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by mercuryman
Personally, I would dread the idea of doing alevel philosophy and would gladly study a level chem or bio instead.

meh i dunno they're all difficult tbh i do do chem aswell

Quick Reply

Latest