The Student Room Group

Applying for Oxford PPE and Econ elsewhere

Is this possible? Is it advisable? What about the personal statement? Would Oxford see if I applied for Econ at other universities?

These are just hypothetical questions as I've only just finished Y11.
uhm im sure loads of people do that
Thanks, but do you know what they do about the personal statement? If you mention how much you enjoy Philosophy and Politics as well, it seems irrelevant or you seem indecisive, surely... but if you only mention Econ, you haven't addressed the 'PP'. Am I missing something?
Original post by ConfabulatorTA
Thanks, but do you know what they do about the personal statement? If you mention how much you enjoy Philosophy and Politics as well, it seems irrelevant or you seem indecisive, surely... but if you only mention Econ, you haven't addressed the 'PP'. Am I missing something?

it depends on how you write your personal statement. if you talk about politics and philosophy as distinct subjects then it will be obvious. most people find ways to embed them together so it sounds like you're talking about one subject. after all, PPE have lots of overlaps with each other.
OK, I see. Do you know if I could find an example of such a personal statement anywhere online (I know it's unlikely...)?
OK, I see. Do you know if I could find an example of such a personal statement anywhere online (I know it's unlikely...)?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/category:tongue:ersonal_statements_by_subject
search around and you'll find one. you don't have to do it now. you've got another year till you gotta worry about all the UCAS ********.
Sounds fun (/s)... Is there any way to filter by multiple subjects?
Sounds fun (/s)... Is there any way to filter by multiple subjects?

just go into the economics sections.
theres about 15 ppe statements
maybe your school has some more example ones
OK, thanks :smile:
Is this possible? Is it advisable? What about the personal statement? Would Oxford see if I applied for Econ at other universities?

These are just hypothetical questions as I've only just finished Y11.

The Oxford advice on this is to avoid it - why not apply for PPE (or PE) at all of your choices? http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/ucas-application/writing-your-personal-statement

That way your PS wont be such a problem.
Unlike other oxbridge courses the individual PPE webpages don't say that the PS isn't part of the selection process (for some oxford and cambridge courses where the choice isn't available at many universities they don't put any/much emphasis on the PS...that doesn't appear to be the case for PPE).
Original post by PQ
The Oxford advice on this is to avoid it - why not apply for PPE (or PE) at all of your choices? http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/ucas-application/writing-your-personal-statement

That way your PS wont be such a problem.
Unlike other oxbridge courses the individual PPE webpages don't say that the PS isn't part of the selection process (for some oxford and cambridge courses where the choice isn't available at many universities they don't put any/much emphasis on the PS...that doesn't appear to be the case for PPE).

The Oxford advice is to avoid applying to different subjects. However they don't say to avoid applying to related subjects.

" If you are thinking of applying for completely different courses at different universities (eg Physics and Accounting, or Biology and Music) we’d encourage you to reconsider
[...]
If you are thinking of applying for related courses at different universities then we suggest that you avoid using course titles in your personal statement "
Original post by coffee125
The Oxford advice is to avoid applying to different subjects. However they don't say to avoid applying to related subjects.

" If you are thinking of applying for completely different courses at different universities (eg Physics and Accounting, or Biology and Music) we’d encourage you to reconsider
[...]
If you are thinking of applying for related courses at different universities then we suggest that you avoid using course titles in your personal statement "

"It’s important to choose a subject area that you really want to study, and focus on that one area when making your applications. Also, you can only write one personal statement which will be seen by all the universities to which you apply, so it needs to be relevant for all your courses."

A PS for economics is not going to be relevant for a PPE application. A PPE PS will not be relevant to an Economics application. In either case it would be obvious that the applicant is prioritising a different course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending