The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why group LGB with T?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckfeister
Ok lets put it this way than, jews aren't discriminated for being themselves.

Yes they are. they are to be Jewish
Basically, they've been friends a long time, those with transgender identities, and those who are homosexual or bisexual. Trans people are often also homosexual or bisexual, more so than heterosexual (I believe I don't know for sure!!)

When western LGB activism was born, there was no understanding of trans identities, so people drew no distinction between being LGB, and being trans. This led to both groups being subject to the same injustices.

So, much of the discrimination against the two groups is similar, both are often disowned by family and friends, and subject to all kinds of assault. Also, the journey to identifying as trans or as LGB is similar. Both groups have to come out, for example.

Trans identities, and those who are LGB experience similar discrimination, and as such, both groups have had close relations for many years. The 'T' is a part of the LGBT acronym because the trans community is small, and as such, the LGB group, and those who are trans, are better off in safe spaces together. This does not mean that there aren't transphobic LGB people, or that there aren't homophobic trans people.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes they are. they are to be Jewish

Transgenders are discriminated for changing gender.
Gays are discriminated for liking guys.
Jewish people are discriminated because of their religion that they was brought up with.

Whats the difference?
Jewish people are discriminated because of their religion that they was brought up with.

Whats the difference?

difference is, you can choose to be jewish if you want to but weren't brought up jewish, and you can choose not to be jewish if you were brought up jewish.
Reply 24
they're grouped because LGB and T are all queer identities seen as "other" and the LGBTQ+ community needs to stand together, whether about sexuality or gender. the trans community really needs the gay community to help raise trans voices.
Reply 25

Whats the difference?

difference is one of those (being jewish) is a belief system, while being LGBTQ+ is a part of a person's lifestyle and identity which they do not/cannot choose
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I wonder why being trans isn't seen as a mental disorder , not offending anyone just curious.

Would you see homosexuals as having a mental disorder?

In my opinion, a disorder is something that is 'wrong/ incorrect' with a person. Also a mental disorder is debilitating to the person; it causes suffering and makes the person have difficulty in living their life - something I don't see transgender to fit into.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I wonder why being trans isn't seen as a mental disorder , not offending anyone just curious.

totally agree. trans people should have rights but we should treat it as a mental disorder

Whats the difference?

Like it or not, there are some people who simply cannot find it in themselves to stop being jewish, and there are LGBT people who choose to act as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbian_until_graduation
Original post by Namita Gurung
Would you see homosexuals as having a mental disorder?

In my opinion, a disorder is something that is 'wrong/ incorrect' with a person. Also a mental disorder is debilitating to the person; it causes suffering and makes the person have difficulty in living their life - something I don't see transgender to fit into.

I'm gay myself....
I'm gay myself....

Homosexuals and transgender both. I don't understand how anyone can even think they can possibly fit into the mental disorder category.
Homosexuals and transgender both. I don't understand how anyone can even think they can possibly fit into the mental disorder category.

They aren't classed as mental disorder anymore.
They aren't classed as mental disorder anymore.

I know that. Some posts above said they were wondering why it wasn't classed as a mental disorder, which is why I said I don't understand how anyone can think it to even fit into that category.
I know that. Some posts above said they were wondering why it wasn't classed as a mental disorder, which is why I said I don't understand how anyone can think it to even fit into that category.

Retardation and ignorance, thats why homophobic even excist.

Going to copy and paste a conversation a had a while ago:

Wouldn't it be a mental illness by definition?

"Mental illness: Mental illness refers to a diagnosable condition that significantly interferes with an individual's cognitive, emotional or social abilities e.g. depression, anxiety, schizophrenia." - According to the NHS.

"You know you're not right for your body" That seems to be a big ****ing laps in a persons cognitive ability...

Definitions are socially constructed for goodness sake to group together and marginalise all things that aren't the norm or characteristics that not everyone possesses. Even if someone was diagnosed with anxiety, there are still people out there who'll think that the individual is 'exaggerating' or 'making a big deal out of nothing' and they're just 'really really shy'. No, just no.

What you don't know, you'll never understand - simple really. I couldn't justify myself why it is but sticking to guidelines and rules and definitions about what is deemed normal and what is not isn't the way to be go forward and understand why it is what it is. Even if it's not the norm, so what? Is it killing anyone?

I don't really care about the fact that people want to be transgender / who are trans, it's their choice, but I think it's important to still have definitions and categories for such characteristics that deviate form the norm. Because like you said "normal" is just a social construct; based on the opinion of the majority.

These definitions help people, save lives. Lots of other mental illnesses fall under that definition as well, not just transsexualism. Some of said mental illness could be fatal, wether self inflicted or not. If we don't have a set of guidelines, I think it would do more harm than good.
We can't just start making exceptions of these medically, scientifically proven guidelines just to make people feel a little better inside.

I have a headache, this probably doesn't make sense, since I'm having a hard time articulating myself on this subject matter. My apologies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 34908seikj
I don't really care about the fact that people want to be transgender / who are trans, it's their choice...

No, it isn't. :confused:
LGB includes the T as it's thew whole idea of safety in numbers. It's a similar reason to why you'll often see an alliance between black societies and the LGBT groups at universities.

The whole problem however is the fact the theories Transgendered people create to gain acceptance is at odds with feminist and LGB theories. Feminist theory states that no-body is born in terms of gender a man or woman but instead that it is created by society. Transgendered people claim they are born that way or often women/men trapped in the wrong body (despite transgendered people generally have the same percentage of gender correct brains as the rest of the population). LGB's offer a host of biological or social theories, however they generally prescribe to the feminist belief that gender is socially constructed while sexual attraction is innate.

Original post by AngryJellyfish

The problem with feminist and LGB theory is in their view transgendered people are not born that way.... gender is a social construct.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Yes it is.

Edit: I guess that contradicts what I said, hum....

I shall accept they don't have a choice. Apologies.
Speaking as a transgender person myself here, it's actually been a matter of much debate in our community. Some think it doesn't help because it leads to transgenderism being viewing incorrectly as a sexuality, and trans issues are often secondary to LGB ones in major group. The general consensus, however, is that our issues get more exposure and our campaigning for equality is more effective working with LGB people through LGBT organisations than on our own. A good example is Stonewall. Until recently, they were just a LGB group - but most people didn't realise that, assumed that they were LGBT and our issues were completely sidelined. For instance, where schools are mandated to cover the topic of LGBT equality in citizenship classes, they often just played a Stonewall video that only featured LGB people and issues and took it as 'job done'. They've now changed, after a campaign by many trans people and groups, to become a LGBT charity and represent us too, and I do feel it's helped and will continue to do so going forward - especially as we are still miles behind LGB people in terms of legal equality in Britain.

Basically, whether it should have been this way or not the conception of LGBT as a group is too deeply embedded and the trans community too small for us to have any impact except through the wider LGBT movement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991
LGB includes the T as it's thew whole idea of safety in numbers. It's a similar reason to why you'll often see an alliance between black societies and the LGBT groups at universities.

The whole problem however is the fact the theories Transgendered people create to gain acceptance is at odds with feminist and LGB theories. Feminist theory states that no-body is born in terms of gender a man or woman but instead that it is created by society. Transgendered people claim they are born that way or often women/men trapped in the wrong body (despite transgendered people generally have the same percentage of gender correct brains as the rest of the population). LGB's offer a host of biological or social theories, however they generally prescribe to the feminist belief that gender is socially constructed while sexual attraction is innate.

The problem with feminist and LGB theory is in their view transgendered people are not born that way.... gender is a social construct.

Most feminists I know wouldn't agree with that any more. It may make initial sense in the context of their theories and you can see why it gained traction decades ago, but just from a scientific point of view we now have a very good idea it is, frankly, total ********.