The Student Room Group

June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
-

Well put.

Let's set about forging an outward-looking trading nation, with truly accountable legislators and government, and not wallow in self-pity and fling blame and hate all over the place.
Original post by Foo.mp3
A very welcome development; out of the ashes, rises the phoenix of light, truth, and reason: Commonwealth Free Movement Petition

But let's just make sure none of the poor Commonwealth countries join in, right?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Perhaps a little more to it than that :mmm:

Do you think, as I do, that we should have a Tory leadership contest, a General Election (in which parties outline what they want*) and then trigger/ ignore article 50?

*presumably

Tories- leave EU, stay in single market
UKIP- leave both
Lib Dem- remain in the EU
Labour- uh, um, can you give us a bit longer?

(Would you vote Tory or UKIP in such a scenario?)

Also, what do you think about this?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/who-will-dare-pull-trigger-article-50-eu

Regards

Davij
Original post by offhegoes
But let's just make sure none of the poor Commonwealth countries join in, right?

We wouldn't want the wrong people to have a vote - just like the Leave people managed to make sure that several million British citizens were excluded from the referendum.
Original post by the bear
you will be able to meet lots of Russians soon :h:

The Russians are coming! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!
Original post by 2016_GCSE
The Russians are coming! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!

Lovely! We will welcome Putin and treat him like visiting royalty, except permanent. :love:

Original post by Foo.mp3
When it comes to the EU, clearly, when it comes to British unification, possibly, but they also know which way their bread is buttered :u:

not quite the glorious independence day and revolution you expected was it?
Original post by Foo.mp3

Britannia: unite, heal, and prosper

Do not insult history by referring to the referendum results as 'Independence Day'. How revolting.

Indeed Foo. FTSE100 is up at 6539. Last year it was decreasing. And Carney hasn't even injected any QE yet .....
Original post by Foo.mp3
When it comes to the EU, clearly, when it comes to British unification, possibly, but they also know which way their bread is buttered :u:

And let's just ignore that the England is (arguably) able to take such a stance due to Remaim-voting London :wink:

Indeed post referendum, if a UK student wanted to study in a EU university it now costs a great deal more.

Brexit voters have created a new Tuition Fee - a 10% price hike and rising daily for going to uni in the EU....

We now have Brexit voter tuition fees - Thanks for nothing Brexit voters.
Original post by FredOrJohn
Indeed post referendum, if a UK student wanted to study in a EU university it now costs a great deal more.

My goodness! That must affect a huge number of people. Imagine - all those under-valued, downtrodden, ill-mannered, out-of-work voters not thinking about the cost of the educated elite's privileges.
Original post by Foo.mp3

Goodness knows how this country survived two world wars and an intervening depression, followed by rationing and the prospect of MAD :erm:

Really starting to wonder if there are any true Brits, with true grit, left in our major cities. Such a sorry bunch 'protesting' Democracy :facepalm2:

If I remember my history lessons correctly, by cooperating with members of a united group of countries, mostly European... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Willing to put your money where your mouth is? I am willing to bet you that the pounds days are not numbered at all. This is just like the Euro ******** all over again.
Original post by FredOrJohn

Brexit voters have created a new Tuition Fee - a 10% price hike and rising daily for going to uni in the EU....

We now have Brexit voter tuition fees - Thanks for nothing Brexit voters.

Man up FFS
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well put.

Let's set about forging an outward-looking trading nation, with truly accountable legislators and government, and not wallow in self-pity and fling blame and hate all over the place.

Rather ironic given you supported the leave campaign.
Original post by Bornblue

Rather ironic given you supported the leave campaign.

Not really. I wanted us to wrest back control from the broken, unsuitable system of the EU. There's nothing self-pitying or hateful about that.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not really. I wanted us to wrest back control from the broken, unsuitable system of the EU. There's nothing self-pitying or hateful about that.

The referendum is over, leave won and we are leaving the EU.
So please, please can we stop with the nonsense, hollow rhetoric and saying 'take back control' every other sentence.
I'd also point out the obvious fact that being in the single market, which the tories candidates all wish to be, means we will have to accept free movement among other EU requirements, meaning we won't 'wrestle back control' as you seem to be implying.

I generally regard you as one of the more intelligent and thorough posters on here, even if I disagree with your political leanings, you normally substantiate arguments well. So it seems strange for you to keep using hollow phrases and soundbites like 'take back control' and 'evil, broken EU'. They're not a substitute for substantive arguments.

I'd also point out you claimed that we needed to come together and prevent blaming others and hate, but the leave campaign focused hugely on certain groups on dishing out blame such as 'elites', the establishment' and immigrants. Seems a bit ironic.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending