The Student Room Group

Can I become a trader with an economics degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Princepieman

It wasnt exactly like a ban but they restricted what i could do and when you're still in school all you really use it for is connections.
to put it simply i was spamming like all the IBD people and promoting myself. I think i got flagged as spam or something and all i was doing was just trying to connect with some of the public people. I think it was quite unfair.
Original post by datboii
It wasnt exactly like a ban but they restricted what i could do and when you're still in school all you really use it for is connections.
to put it simply i was spamming like all the IBD people and promoting myself. I think i got flagged as spam or something and all i was doing was just trying to connect with some of the public people. I think it was quite unfair.

Ahh, yeah, the spam detector is quite harsh. I'd maybe call up linkedin to sort it out at a later point or make a new account and this time only target a few people at once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datboii
Well technically it is against the rules to request connections with people you don't even know.
Lol OP why did you ask about whether you could get in with an economics degree when you later say that you're doing Stats, Economics and Finance? That's a bit more quanty than an eton degree so mif you take all the maths modules you can, you could go into all types of trading. Don't worry!
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Well technically it is against the rules to request connections with people you don't even know.

Eh, I don't think that's true - it should be fine as long as you have a reason for connecting with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datboii
lol i got banned on linkedin

Oh ****.
Wat up.
Reply 26
Ahh, yeah, the spam detector is quite harsh. I'd maybe call up linkedin to sort it out at a later point or make a new account and this time only target a few people at once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well im not even sure if it was permanent lol. I think im a bit young for it anyway so i might just make one next year
Reply 27
Original post by Cobalt_
Oh ****.
Wat up.

yasss dank meme lad
Original post by datboii
Well im not even sure if it was permanent lol. I think im a bit young for it anyway so i might just make one next year

Good idea aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eh, I don't think that's true - it should be fine as long as you have a reason for connecting with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of the time yes it's fine but I guess it depends what counts as "knowing" them. It is true though that in the rules it says you're not allowed to "Use LinkedIn invitations to send messages to people who don't know you or who are unlikely to recognize you as a known contact" or "Invite people you do not know to join your network".
Most of the time yes it's fine but I guess it depends what counts as "knowing" them. It is true though that in the rules it says you're not allowed to "Use LinkedIn invitations to send messages to people who don't know you or who are unlikely to recognize you as a known contact" or "Invite people you do not know to join your network".

Interesting, I'd imagine that would axe out a hell of a lot of users (especially super linkers) if enforced - seems strange to have that rule in place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31

seems a bit silly considering that youre not even allowed to make catfish accounts so you'd inevitably be held accountable in case you're going to harass someone.

And what if you dont have any contacts? Like i dont know anyone in the industry as of now.
Original post by datboii
seems a bit silly considering that youre not even allowed to make catfish accounts so you'd inevitably be held accountable in case you're going to harass someone.

And what if you dont have any contacts? Like i dont know anyone in the industry as of now.

I don't think it's an active rule, a nice intro message with a reason to connect i.e. I'd like to learn more about your work in xxx at yyy, I'm a xyz student currently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I don't think it's an active rule, a nice intro message with a reason to connect i.e. I'd like to learn more about your work in xxx at yyy, I'm a xyz student currently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok well lets just say i just jumped straight in and said "Can I get some work experience at your firm?" xDD Guess that was a little unsettling and blunt

But thanks ill try that in future lol
I have a question.

Is vanilla trading going to be obsolete in the next few years? Cause I'm interested in getting to vanilla trading. If it is then I have to get in to exotics trading (particularly fx derivatives).

Since I'm doing an econ degree, based on the convo here so far that's not possible. So would doing an comp Sci masters help with that?
Original post by datboii
ok well lets just say i just jumped straight in and said "Can I get some work experience at your firm?" xDD Guess that was a little unsettling and blunt

But thanks ill try that in future lol

oh, don't do that lol. Networking is about subtlety and forming relationships..
Original post by Grimm Reaper
I have a question.

Is vanilla trading going to be obsolete in the next few years? Cause I'm interested in getting to vanilla trading. If it is then I have to get in to exotics trading (particularly fx derivatives).

Since I'm doing an econ degree, based on the convo here so far that's not possible. So would doing an comp Sci masters help with that?

It's only the really simple vanilla stuff that will be gone very soon. By that I mean cash equity, fx spot and some others. Stuff like interest rates derivatives, delta one, a lot of FICC derivatives will still be there for a while but will probably still get automated.
However. Exotic derivatives trading (e.g. Bermudas swaptions, inflation derivatives etc) won't get automated for the next 20+ years.

I doubt the compsci masters would help tbh because I've heard it's not as quantitative as a BSc and focuses more on the practical programming skills with little theory.
Original post by Grimm Reaper
I have a question.

It is possible, certainly so if you understand the product and make enough of an effort to network with people who trade that product in an S&T internship. The bias exists more so because econ grads self select away from those desks using your reasoning.

And no, not all of vanilla trading will be obsolete. Certainly not the delta one, rates, commodities or fx desks.*

More education is not the answer.*
Yes you can, but make sure you get a lot of extracurricular activities on your CV because the competition is intense, from various academic disciplines and from the top institutions all over the world. I am not just implying the cliche extracurriculars such as sports and socities. I would open a trading account now, trade for yourself, even if you make some losses this will be to your advantage. One of my friends is now a full time trader. Each summer was spent on an internship since his A levels plus he ran his own forex trading society.
It is possible, certainly so if you understand the product and make enough of an effort to network with people who trade that product in an S&T internship. The bias exists more so because econ grads self select away from those desks using your reasoning.

And no, not all of vanilla trading will be obsolete. Certainly not the delta one, rates, commodities or fx desks.*

More education is not the answer.*

Then what's getting automated than? Because I assumed fx, equity and the like would get automated, but your saying it's not then. :confused:

Based on the flow on the convo here you need a quantitative degree to get into exotics trading and econ is not very quantitative. But your saying it's possible, seems contradictory If I'm honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending