The Student Room Group

Don't know whether to become Shia

Hello
I'm thinking of becoming Shia because I believe in the ahlebait and the should have been leadership of Ali and Hussein
But I would just like to know anything else that I should know like general knowledge on how Shias are different
Can anyone help me out?

Scroll to see replies

Ask google.
Reply 2
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Ask google.

I have tried, I just wanted opinions from people and a lot of stuff in Google is repetitive
Well I think you should be making an informed decision. Depending on which branch of Islam you wish to leave in favour of Shi'itism, it can be difficult to do so. In which case, follow your instinct, choose which branch best suits you, and begin adhering (or remain with) that branch. I do apologize, since I'm not actually Muslim, but I can't really think of any truly useful advice to give you. But anyways, hope you make the right choice.
Reply 4
Original post by Adamski191
Well I think you should be making an informed decision. Depending on which branch of Islam you wish to leave in favour of Shi'itism, it can be difficult to do so. In which case, follow your instinct, choose which branch best suits you, and begin adhering (or remain with) that branch. I do apologize, since I'm not actually Muslim, but I can't really think of any truly useful advice to give you. But anyways, hope you make the right choice.

In thinking of becoming a twelver, all my family are Sunnis but I've felt something missing and I now realised it was lack of love for the prophets pbuh family. Ivevtried to make an informed decision which began when I saw how the shiites are being discriminated and hated. And now a lot of misconceptions exist ie they pray to stone. I think a lot of Shia beliefs make sense and there is evidence to support them
Original post by shazy2014
In thinking of becoming a twelver, all my family are Sunnis but I've felt something missing and I now realised it was lack of love for the prophets pbuh family. Ivevtried to make an informed decision which began when I saw how the shiites are being discriminated and hated. And now a lot of misconceptions exist ie they pray to stone. I think a lot of Shia beliefs make sense and there is evidence to support them

Shia's whip themselves on Ashura. So............................:redface:

You shouldn't care what your family think. Of course they will be mad at your choice, but with time, they may eventually put it aside and accept your choice in the end. Also, if you think Shia Islam makes sense to you, then go for it, be Shia. Just make sure it doesn't harm your familial relationships too much, you don't want them disowning you now, do you?
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Not every Shia does that?
Original post by Axel Johann
Not every Shia does that?

i know. But quite a few do. :tongue:
Reply 9

That's true yes but not all of them do, a lot of people fast and cry that's it. Then you get a few women who lightly tap their chests which isn't bad because it doesn't cause pain or damage to body. About whipping themselvesShia religion clerics and leaders have denounced physical or blood mourning and say it shouldn't be done.
Reply 10
Original post by Adamski191
You shouldn't care what your family think. Of course they will be mad at your choice, but with time, they may eventually put it aside and accept your choice in the end. Also, if you think Shia Islam makes sense to you, then go for it, be Shia. Just make sure it doesn't harm your familial relationships too much, you don't want them disowning you now, do you?

No they wouldn't disown me, I'd tell my mum but not anyone else though cause they'd critice me to much. But yeah it makes complete sense to me
i know. But quite a few do. :tongue:

Hmmm, quite a few Sunnis blow themselves up in the name of Islam :hmmmm:

Oh I know let's paint all Sunnis with that brush like you just did with Shias

:congrats:

I'm Sunni myself but your comment was just blatant ignorance.
Reply 12

I completely agree with you, a lot of lies have been created about Shias which I researched and found were untrue
I completely agree with you, a lot of lies have been created about Shias which I researched and found were untrue

Yeah it's sad and it's lies and misconceptions like those that make Shias become the target of many attacks when they're Muslims like us just looking to live their lives.

I'm comfortable being a Sunni myself haha, though if it's knowledge you seek I'll tag some Shias in so they can help you out.

I never said Sunnis DID NOT blow themselves up. I never once said ALL SHIA WHIP themselves on Ashura. I said quite a few do from my experience. I have iraqi shia friends whose familiy members do that. I did not GENERALISE why are you putting word in your mouths? and was i even talking to you? I was talking to OP so mind your own business and stop looking for a fight. :angry:
Reply 15
I never said Sunnis DID NOT blow themselves up. I never once said ALL SHIA WHIP themselves on Ashura. I said quite a few do from my experience. I have iraqi shia friends whose familiy members do that. I did not GENERALISE why are you putting word in your mouths? and was i even talking to you? I was talking to OP so mind your own business and stop looking for a fight. :angry:

Excuse me, everyone is welcome to contribute for discussion, I don't kind of others do. And tbh you did sound rude before. If you weren't generalising you should have said 'some Shias whip themselves' instead of just 'Shias"
Excuse me, everyone is welcome to contribute for discussion, I don't kind of others do. And tbh you did sound rude before. If you weren't generalising you should have said 'some Shias whip themselves' instead of just 'Shias"

I may not have said Some but i definitely did not say ALL
DAF*Q U TALKING ABOUT? I RESPONDED TO OP NOT U DID U START THIS THREAD? NO!

Spoiler

Reply 17
Yeah it's sad and it's lies and misconceptions like those that make Shias become the target of many attacks when they're Muslims like us just looking to live their lives.

I'm comfortable being a Sunni myself haha, though if it's knowledge you seek I'll tag some Shias in so they can help you out.

Yep I know that Muslims are Muslims as well like your saying, but I feel shiism helps to improve my understanding off Islam and values such as patience and allegiance. Thank you for tagging them!

Because it's stupid stuff like your dumb comment spreading on these misconceptions and lies which causes hate and bad feelings towards Shias, learn to be responsible, especially when talking about sensitive stuff like this.

I said quite a few do from my experience

No you did not, this is what you said:

Learn to read what you wrote.

If you have Iraqi Shia friends that do that, then state it in you post. No you just went and said 'Shia's' which is a generalisation. If you said 'some shias' then that would not be a generalisation.

Since you used that word. I am not putting any words into your mouth, learn to type properly or be more specific.

and was i even talking to you?
No you were not talking to me, but your comment is just stupid.

I was talking to OP so mind your own business and stop looking for a fight. :angry:
Hmmm.... so you're telling me to mind my own business after you just generalised the whole Shia population? I'm not sure the Prophet(pbuh) just minded his own business when he witnessed behaviour like that, and are we not supposed to follow his example?
Reply 19
I may not have said Some but i definitely did not say ALL
DAF*Q U TALKING ABOUT? I RESPONDED TO OP NOT U DID U START THIS THREAD? NO!

Spoiler

I am the OP!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending