The Student Room Group

Would I be crazy to turn this offer down?

So I got a graduate job offer from Sky last month and the timing is unfortunate for me. I was not expecting the offer at all and I really wanted to go on holiday this summer to see my family. The job is really good, about £30,000 plus free Sky stuff and it's really flexible so I'd get to move to different projects after I finish one. Plus it's a guaranteed permanent role so I wouldn't have to worry about applying again after the 7 month period.

But there is no negotiation on the starting date so I would have to start in 3 weeks, where I can't do anything for the first 6 weeks as I will be undergoing training. Which means Summer plans out of the window and I won't get to see my family and probably not get to have fun any more :frown:

I am graduating from uni in 2 weeks time. I really wanted to use this Summer to enjoy life and relax while I am young but the job offer kinda gets in the way. I don't know if I'm ready to work so soon but I think this job offer is just too irresistible to turn down, though I am considering it...

Thoughts?
Original post by UWS
So I got a graduate job offer from Sky last month and the timing is unfortunate for me. I was not expecting the offer at all and I really wanted to go on holiday this summer to see my family. The job is really good, about £30,000 plus free Sky stuff and it's really flexible so I'd get to move to different projects after I finish one. Plus it's a guaranteed permanent role so I wouldn't have to worry about applying again after the 7 month period.

But there is no negotiation on the starting date so I would have to start in 3 weeks, where I can't do anything for the first 6 weeks as I will be undergoing training. Which means Summer plans out of the window and I won't get to see my family and probably not get to have fun any more :frown:

I am graduating from uni in 2 weeks time. I really wanted to use this Summer to enjoy life and relax while I am young but the job offer kinda gets in the way. I don't know if I'm ready to work so soon but I think this job offer is just too irresistible to turn down, though I am considering it...

Thoughts?

I'd say it's a pretty great offer but are you sure it's a firm offer ? I mean these kind of offers you don't pass along so easily because opportunities are so abundant but may be far in between. What's to say if you give up this one Another one will open by the time your ready to get into. If you see no other chance of an opportunity at an offer like this coming your way anytime soon... Then maybe you can skip this summer and visit your family say in Christmas if it allows you. It all comes down to how bad you need it

Posted from TSR Mobile
take the offer. you can see your family, just at a different date.
Reply 3
Original post by Second_Beauty
I'd say it's a pretty great offer but are you sure it's a firm offer ? I mean these kind of offers you don't pass along so easily because opportunities are so abundant but may be far in between. What's to say if you give up this one Another one will open by the time your ready to get into. If you see no other chance of an opportunity at an offer like this coming your way anytime soon... Then maybe you can skip this summer and visit your family say in Christmas if it allows you. It all comes down to how bad you need it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they mentioned to me at the assessment center that after 7 months I will be permanent. I think I was fortunate to get the job so I should be grateful.

Could I get another job if I applied? Most definitely. Would it be better than this offer? I don't think so.

I mean I was talking about visiting my family this summer since April/May. This offer came as a bit of a shock to me and it's just sad that I can't differ to a later date. My family live in Canada, it's going to be 200 feet of snow that time of year so probably not best to go in Christmas lol.
Hmmm. Tbh I think you should take it. But maybe try and speak to them see if you can start later or something? Well done anyway.
Original post by UWS

Thoughts?

How confident are you of finding another job like this?

Personally I wouldn't take the risk and just defer seeing your family until later on. Throwing away what must have been a tough job to get for an activity you could easily do later on - and with less stress as you'll have money - seems slightly shortsighted.

Grats on the offer, and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take the job. You have the rest of your life to visit family and have fun.
Original post by UWS
Yes they mentioned to me at the assessment center that after 7 months I will be permanent. I think I was fortunate to get the job so I should be grateful.

Could I get another job if I applied? Most definitely. Would it be better than this offer? I don't think so.

I mean I was talking about visiting my family this summer since April/May. This offer came as a bit of a shock to me and it's just sad that I can't differ to a later date. My family live in Canada, it's going to be 200 feet of snow that time of year so probably not best to go in Christmas lol.

I think you should accept the offer... I'm sure your family would understand. This is why you went to university in the first place to be able to secure offers such as this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS

Thoughts?

Take the job. You will be able to go on holiday soon, and this is a fantastic opportunity which may never come up again! Best of luck.
Reply 9
Original post by UWS

Thoughts?

What degree are you doing? Which university and what grades did you get at A levels and in which subjects (I promise you this is relevant to your dilemma)
A job is more important than a holiday honestly and 30K a year is SO good honestly you'd be stupid to not take it
Personal choice. All you have to do is live by your decisions. Defer it till next year. they are interested enough in you.
I would take it, your family will still be there after summer but the job offer won't and few graduates walk straight into 30k.
Reply 13
take it and never look back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending