The Student Room Group

Brexit: Northern towns are poor because they are not welcoming to migrants

The Scottish people as well as Londoners and people from Manchester know if you want to get rich you have to be welcoming to migrants.

There is a direct link to wealth and the numbers of migrants coming to find work.

Brexit could potentially turn the whole country into a northern "waste land".

How do we go about making northern people love migrants?

Is there an answer to this?

Surely if Scotland, even its poorer towns such as Paisley, can love migrants, then why cant our northern towns?

What is going on up there? I've never been up north (apart from passing through to get to relatives in Scotland). Could someone from there tell me what is going on?

Scroll to see replies

Your point about coming to find work sums it up, there's next to no work in a lot of Northern towns.

I live in Cheshire and **** loads of people still have to commute into Greater Manchester.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
If a lot of EU migrants leave, they will take a lot of valuable skills and knowledge with them creating gaps in the jobs market that will mostly be filled by non EU migrants.

That is assuming the UK economy does not decline and migrants from everywhere will leave because there would be less work available.
Why are Tower Hamlets, Luton and Rotherham so poor then?
Original post by Maker
If a lot of EU migrants leave, they will take a lot of valuable skills and knowledge with them creating gaps in the jobs market that will mostly be filled by non EU migrants.

That is assuming the UK economy does not decline and migrants from everywhere will leave because there would be less work available.

Exactly. Native skills shortages take years to solve, they won't just magically disappear overnight. It's all well and good stopping people "taking jobs" but pointless if you don't have people who can do them.
Tower Hamlets is not varied, I believe it's one of the top 5 poorest areas in England. De-industrialisation may be the answer, but I was just showing OP that it is not only areas without many migrants that are poor.
Original post by FredOrJohn
The Scottish people as well as Londoners and people from Manchester know if you want to get rich you have to be welcoming to migrants.

There is a direct link to wealth and the numbers of migrants coming to find work.

Brexit could potentially turn the whole country into a northern "waste land".

Is there an answer to this?

Surely if Scotland, even its poorer towns such as Paisley, can love migrants, then why cant our northern towns?

What is going on up there? I've never been up north (apart from passing through to get to relatives in Scotland). Could someone from there tell me what is going on?

You would not have to,ask if,you had spent a day up north, en route!
Reply 7
Original post by JamesN88
Your point about coming to find work sums it up, there's next to no work in a lot of Northern towns.

I live in Cheshire and **** loads of people still have to commute into Greater Manchester.

This, I live in Grimsby and people commute to places like Hull or Lincoln or Doncaster.

Plus if you look it up, quite a few Northern counties voted to remain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contrary to recent perceptions we're actually a friendly bunch for the most part regardless of where people come from. :smile:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-north-is-friendlier-than-the-south-503

I'd hoped for a remain vote but it is what it is.
Reply 9
Contrary to recent perceptions we're actually a friendly bunch for the most part regardless of where people come from. :smile:

I love that report

Posted from TSR Mobile

The starks are much friendlier than the lannisters so I agree with this report
Original post by mercuryman
The starks are much friendlier than the lannisters so I agree with this report

The Brexit **** is really hitting the fan...

image.jpeg

Taken on the outskirts of Carlisle this morning.:biggrin:
Lol my town has a high percentage migrants (EU and non-EU) and it was named the most deprived town in England fairly recently.

Voted leave 61 - 39...

Do you mean places like Bradford or Keighley? Those towns with high Pakistani immigrant populations? Poverty in the north is more due to lack of investment by successive governments and deindustrialisation.
Original post by Andy98
This, I live in Grimsby and people commute to places like Hull or Lincoln or Doncaster.

Grimsby has a population of around 90K. NE Lincs has marginally more inward commuters 11,620 than outward commuters 11,267

Epsom and Ewell has a population of 78K. It has inward commuters of 15,235 and outward commuters of 23,048

In the last stats 2498 people in North East Lincolnshire were claiming JSA a rate of 2.5%.

You were more likely to be claiming JSA in Birmingham 3.4% or Nottingham 3% than Grimsby.
(edited 7 years ago)

Don't be so dramatic, that could be a fifteen-minute drive from Wythenshawe to Stockport.
Original post by Tootles
Don't be so dramatic, that could be a fifteen-minute drive from Wythenshawe to Stockport.

I'm not being dramatic. It was a point relating to the OP comparing remain voting Manchester with everywhere else around it.
Original post by Tootles

Only if the border is open :tongue:

Nonsense. There is a direct link between wealth being concentrated in London and some other cities and overall prosperity than anything else. The North is completely neglected just like much of the UK.

Original post by richpanda
Why are Tower Hamlets, Luton and Rotherham so poor then?

They're not just poor, they're complete shitholes.
Reply 19
Original post by nulli tertius
Grimsby has a population of around 90K. NE Lincs has marginally more inward commuters 11,620 than outward commuters 11,267

Epsom and Ewell has a population of 78K. It has inward commuters of 15,235 and outward commuters of 23,048

In the last stats 2498 people in North East Lincolnshire were claiming JSA a rate of 2.5%.

You were more likely to be claiming JSA in Birmingham 3.4% or Nottingham 3% than Grimsby.

Where do you get that from?

Although I must say that the road traffic definitely suggests more outward commuters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending