The Student Room Group

Should Cameron be held accountable for having a referendum without an exit plan?

Cameron: Should we hold him accountable?

Scroll to see replies

no
Why should he have the exit plan? The Brexiters are the ones who should have had one, so people knew what they were voting for. As it is people have just voted fpr something called Brexit. but other than the UK leaving, there are big ? over what it actually means.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Why should he have the exit plan? The Brexiters are the ones who should have had one, so people knew what they were voting for. As it is people have just voted fpr something called Brexit. but other than the UK leaving, there are big ? over what it actually means.

As PM and deciding to have the referendum, it was his duty to request an exit plan for something of this magnitude. He did not do his due diligence, if he had, whatever the outcome, there would have been a plan.and the whole world would not be rumbling now.
Original post by Theplace
As PM and deciding to have the referendum, it was his duty to request an exit plan for something of this magnitude. He did not do his due diligence, if he had, whatever the outcome, there would have been a plan.and the whole world would not be rumbling now.

Not really.
It was a good idea for the chancellor to have a contingency plan. He did.
For the BOE to have a contingency plan, they did.

As the PM rightly isnt staying on, then its quite right the other PM (preferably a Brexit person) should deal with the exit terms as only they will know what they want. Nobody else in the country knows.
I think history will judge Cameron harshly for this - especially as during the campaign he claimed it would be an absolute disaster for Britain's economy if we voted leave.....well why take the gamble if he thought it was that bad?

If I was PM, and said "lets have a referendum on whether people want the government to print free money and give them all £10,000" then you may well get a large proportion of the population voting for it. Is that democracy speaking?
Reply 6
He is resigning. What difference is it going to make?
He must have known that a lot of people would vote leave, otherwise he wouldn't have had a referendum as the kicker in his manifesto. He basically went all in and when the chips were down left. He should have without a doubt had a plan in place if an exit were to happen.

As written above, history won't be kind to him. But history isn't kind to many ex-PM's. None of Thatcher, Major, Blair or Brown are going to be held in high esteem.
Reply 8
No he shouldn't; it's hardly his fault the leave campaign came along and destroyed everything without any blueprints for new foundations is it.

Does make me laugh that Nicola Sturgeon had a ''plan'' though.

It was his responsibility to prepare a plan for either outcome, especially so as he stressed the importance of respecting the referendum.
Especially when the polls were that tight and close.

Original post by Rgman27
He is resigning. What difference is it going to make?

To punish and make an example of bad procedure.
Though I wouldn't wish this on him, because he's already lost a lot because of this referendum in his political career.

Original post by Inexorably
No he shouldn't; it's hardly his fault the leave campaign came along and destroyed everything without any blueprints for new foundations is it.

Does make me laugh that Nicola Sturgeon had a ''plan'' though.

I feel embarrassed to say that when a while back I posted reasons to leave, I took someone's word for some of the arguments, and made some glaring obvious mistakes. So I'm going to present my case again to fix those mistakes. :tongue:

Read these links first:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4194793
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4197981

(and this becomes relevant later)

net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014.png

The predicted net contribution for 2016 is £31,532,000.00 a day.
I used this link to calculate: http://www.alcula.com/calculators/statistics/linear-regression/.

The UK doesn't get to decide how the EU budget spent on the UK is spent;
The EU budget spent on the UK comes with an EU label; propaganda;

(there are more, but meh)

This is mainly out of embarrassment for what I previously wrote. :colondollar:
I now do research for myself and source everything. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by XcitingStuart
It was his responsibility to prepare a plan for either outcome, especially so as he stressed the importance of respecting the referendum.
Especially when the polls were that tight and close.

To punish and make an example of bad procedure.
Though I wouldn't wish this on him, because he's already lost a lot because of this referendum in his political career.

I feel embarrassed to say that when a while back I posted reasons to leave, I took someone's word for some of the arguments, and made some glaring obvious mistakes. So I'm going to present my case again to fix those mistakes. :tongue:

Read these links first:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4194793
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4197981

(and this becomes relevant later)

net contribution to the EU 2004 - 2014.png

The predicted net contribution for 2016 is £31,532,000.00 a day.
I used this link to calculate: http://www.alcula.com/calculators/statistics/linear-regression/.

The UK doesn't get to decide how the EU budget spent on the UK is spent;
The EU budget spent on the UK comes with an EU label; propaganda;

(there are more, but meh)

This is mainly out of embarrassment for what I previously wrote. :colondollar:
I now do research for myself and source everything. :tongue:

Typical Leaver blaming others for the mess they have left the country in. If Cameron were suppose to have a Leave plan, where is Farage's Remain plan?

Actually, I have found Cameron's Leave plan Its quite brief its says "you are screwed".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Typical Leaver blaming others for the mess they have left the country in. If Cameron were suppose to have a Leave plan, where is Farage's Remain plan?

Actually, I have found Cameron's Leave plan Its quite brief its says "you are screwed".

Farage wasn't prime minister.
Keep up with the news man...

David Cameron was for 6 years. Old news, keep up...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by XcitingStuart
Farage wasn't prime minister dipshit.
Keep up with the news man...

David Cameron was for 6 years. Old news, keep up...

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL
He made it abundantly clear that he did not think we should leave the EU especially as it would be so difficult to come up with a good exit plan.

Should he have dedicated more time and resources to this? Yes.

Should the population have thought before voting for people who had no plan beyond 'leave the EU'? Yes.

So Cameron should not be held solely accountable.
Unless you define 'hold accountable' then the question is meaningless. How exactly would/could you hold Cameron accountable? He is held accountable through constituency and general elections. He's resigned so what else are you proposing? Tell corporations not to hire him once he's left office? Don't hire him as an after-dinner speaker?

It's a pretty safe bet that the Civil Service has done their homework and prepared themselves as best they can, but without knowing the future legal, economic, diplomatic and political frameworks it's too early to be making mass changes.
Reply 15
Why don't Leavers ask him to do one now, he will have plenty of time on his hands soon and I'm sure he can fit it in between his lucrative directorships and speaking engagments.
Reply 16

The PM had a,duty to have demanded an exit,plan from the leavers. You don't ask the public a question of this importance without having the answers.
Reply 17
Original post by Duncan2012
Unless you define 'hold accountable' then the question is meaningless. How exactly would/could you hold Cameron accountable? He is held accountable through constituency and general elections. He's resigned so what else are you proposing? Tell corporations not to hire him once he's left office? Don't hire him as an after-dinner speaker?

It's a pretty safe bet that the Civil Service has done their homework and prepared themselves as best they can, but without knowing the future legal, economic, diplomatic and political frameworks it's too early to be making mass changes.

If the civil service is anything like Westmister council and three others around it, it has only zero hour contract employees.
Yes, he should have. As the Prime Minister who gave the referendum he and the government as a whole should have prepared for a whole range of eventualities and even put together drafts of possible relationships with the EU moving forward in the event of a leave vote. You can be damned sure that if we had voted to remain they'd have had a plan for closer political and economic integration after us giving them the green light.

He's also a liar as he said he'd stay on as Prime Minister regardless of the outcome and then went back on his word. We should have expected such though as he is a politician after all.
Original post by Theplace
The PM had a,duty to have demanded an exit,plan from the leavers. You don't ask the public a question of this importance without having the answers.

Not if he wasnt planning on doing the negotiations. thats only an exit the brexiters know about. How can he know whar was on their mind when they dont know themselves? If they want to leave then its ridiculous you expect him to know their minds and do their job for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending