The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fg45344
If someone asked you, "what languages can you think in"....how would you answer?

I'd say "I can think in 2 languages but it's mainly english that I think in"
Reply 81
I can, but I usually just think in English. Don't know why. I do sometimes think in both languages and I don't really get confused. And I can speak English and Urdu/Hindi fluently.
I'm a native English speaker and I think in English, despite being able to speak French, German, Mandarin and Japanese. When I lived in China, however, I actually started forgetting my English and started thinking in Mandarin, as that was the language I was using more often on a daily basis. My spoken English does have a slight lilt to it as a result of living in China for so long
Original post by fg45344
So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?

Yeah, almost the same time tbh. They just kinda merge together and you kinda speak them alternatively but when you're thinking of something to write it down then you usually think in the language you are going to write it in,
Reply 84
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I'd say "I can think in 2 languages but it's mainly english that I think in"

Why do you think you think mainly in English? What is it like thinking in Cantonese? Is thinking in Cantonese slower for you? Can you think in any other language?
Reply 85
Original post by katherine9609
Yeah. I'm fluent in English & Polish and I tend to think in either one of the languages. I can swap between the two when thinking without thinking if that makes sense lol

1) Can you think in English?

2) Can you think in Polish?

3) What age did you learn both languages?

4) Can you think in any other language?
Reply 86
Original post by Jayce.x
I can, but I usually just think in English. Don't know why. I do sometimes think in both languages and I don't really get confused. And I can speak English and Urdu/Hindi fluently.

What languages can you think in?
Reply 87
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well yes, but people often want you to specify in which situations you think in a certain language.

2) Can you think in Spanish?

Yeah, its totally normal to think in both I think. I know English and Chinese and I can think in both of them though I naturally think in English and have to actively make myself think in Chinese.
I do this all the time
Reply 90
Yeah you can. English is my second language but even before I was in England I would more often think in English than my first language. Sometimes it's a mix of both in my head. It's the worst when you're texting someone in one language and actually talking in the other. I don't even feel it anymore so I end up talking or writing in the other language and it takes me a moment to realise :colondollar:
Original post by fg45344
So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?

Yeah(: I'm half Greek and my mum has spoken it to me my whole life and i definitely do think in it. But I think because I live in England I probably think in English more regularly.
Reply 92
Original post by loukiawells
Yeah(: I'm half Greek and my mum has spoken it to me my whole life and i definitely do think in it. But I think because I live in England I probably think in English more regularly.

2) Can you think in Greek?

Original post by fg45344

2) Can you think in Greek?

1) yes 2) yes 3) roughly same time when i was a baby and i was learning how to speak 4) no
Reply 94
Original post by loukiawells
1) yes 2) yes 3) roughly same time when i was a baby and i was learning how to speak 4) no

So if someone asked you, "what languages can you think in"....how would you answer?
Yes. I'm bilingual and I think in both languages.
I find that I think in my first language when I'm anxious or angry. I think in English most of the time though.
Reply 97
Original post by jeannxtte
I find that I think in my first language when I'm anxious or angry. I think in English most of the time though.

2) What is your first language? Can you think in it?

Reply 98
Original post by Sisuphos
Yes. I'm bilingual and I think in both languages.

1) What languages do you speak? Can you think in them?

2) What age did you learn both languages?

3) Can you think in any other language?
Reply 99
My native language is Dutch, but I prefer English, and almost always think in English. It depends a little on what language I hear/speak/read the most - after a few months in the UK, my thoughts were 100% in English, and if I had to write/speak in Dutch I would translate it from English first. When I went back to the Netherlands I slowly became used to it again. I guess I think in Dutch when I talk to Dutch people, but I might throw in an English word now and then. Otherwise I think in English unless some Dutch expression fits well, then I might switch languages in the middle of a sentence. It's all a bit confusing :redface:

Short anwer: I can think in both languages, but only think in my native language if it is convenient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending