The Student Room Group

A level choices lol

So I'm in year eleven and I've just finished my GCSE's. Basically I'm still unsure of what to take because I put down Chemistry Physics Biology and History (I hate maths there's no way I'm taking it so please can no one suggest it) anyway so this made sense since I think i want to have a career in the science sector but then before year nine (despite me loving science now) I had never taken an interest in science and my whole life I'd much preferred subjects such as English lit and Drama so I feel like I'm limiting myself to just science subjects and that's not me. So I think I'm wondering is it better to have Chemistry, Physics, Biology and History or Chemistry, Biology, English and History. Am I narrowing down my future options in anyway shape or form?
You do realize that Physics A level is 50% maths. Three sciences is a lot to take on but then again History isn't a soft A level either. It depends on what career path you want to take, maybe judge it based on how well you did on each subject. I did English Lit and it is a very enjoyable course.
Just bare in mind physics has A LOT of maths; my college makes us take a maths A level with the Physics because you have to be good at maths so if you don't like maths then I wouldn't recommend physics. Every college is different so talk to your college about it and discuss your options, they'll know best.
Original post by SannahIqbal
You do realize that Physics A level is 50% maths. Three sciences is a lot to take on but then again History isn't a soft A level either. It depends on what career path you want to take, maybe judge it based on how well you did on each subject. I did English Lit and it is a very enjoyable course.
Just bare in mind physics has A LOT of maths; my college makes us take a maths A level with the Physics because you have to be good at maths so if you don't like maths then I wouldn't recommend physics. Every college is different so talk to your college about it and discuss your options, they'll know best.

Physics A-level contains at most GCSE maths. Anything past GCSE level is covered in the specification.
Reply 3
Wouldn't recommend Physics if you hate Maths. There will be a lot more Maths involved for Physics at A Level than at GCSE. To the point where teachers recommend you take Physics and Maths together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When choising what science subjects to study you need to think about what you altimatly want to do at UNI, If you want to do a physics bassed subject it will be very difficult to get into a good uni without maths. If you want to do a chemestry/biology you will also need to be proficiant at maths so maybe science is not for you? You can get on very good UNI courses form studying subjects like english (eg. Law) Have a look at this
http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/
Reply 5
I'd second the above post, don't take subjects because you think they look good. Whilst A Levels do go quickly, (my first year has flown) two years is a long time to spend hating what you're doing. :s-smilie:

If you're not sure if sciences are for you, it's probably best not to take all the sciences. They are all massive subjects that are very difficult in their own right. A few of my friends take sciences and they are all the subjects they each find hardest. Physics is the one you'd probably struggle with if you hate maths, so maybe consider not doing physics?

You need to think of what subjects fit well, and really consider what you want to do at uni. If you're going to go into science, that english lit A level is going to be a bit useless (not entirely useless, but not exactly relevant). Same as if you wanted to study english at uni, your chemistry A level won't be too appreciated there.

Spend a few days looking at universities, and their specific entry requirements. Decide from there. Good luck!!:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by SannahIqbal

I know it sounds weird but I don't mind the maths in physics, maybe because its applied maths I find it more tolerable I'm not sure. I'm predicted A* in all of them so if I ended up acc getting that I feel like I can't base it on my grades. I'm not bad at maths I just have had awful teachers for the last 5 years and it's made me lose interest
Reply 7
I enjoy all of them that's the problem :')
Reply 8
Original post by Nurne
Wouldn't recommend Physics if you hate Maths. There will be a lot more Maths involved for Physics at A Level than at GCSE. To the point where teachers recommend you take Physics and Maths together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know there as some teachers at my school who say I should and others who say if i get an A in maths gcse thats enough, which is what I'm predicted. I actually really enjoy the maths part of physics i just dont enjoy maths as a stand alone subject if that makes sense?
Reply 9
Original post by Cari98
I'd second the above post, don't take subjects because you think they look good. Whilst A Levels do go quickly, (my first year has flown) two years is a long time to spend hating what you're doing. :s-smilie:

If you're not sure if sciences are for you, it's probably best not to take all the sciences. They are all massive subjects that are very difficult in their own right. A few of my friends take sciences and they are all the subjects they each find hardest. Physics is the one you'd probably struggle with if you hate maths, so maybe consider not doing physics?

You need to think of what subjects fit well, and really consider what you want to do at uni. If you're going to go into science, that english lit A level is going to be a bit useless (not entirely useless, but not exactly relevant). Same as if you wanted to study english at uni, your chemistry A level won't be too appreciated there.

Spend a few days looking at universities, and their specific entry requirements. Decide from there. Good luck!!:biggrin:

Thank you:smile:) & It's not because I think they look good It's because I legit love all of them so the only way to narrow down my favourites is to see which will be the best for my future but thats hard when I'm still not clear of where I want to go you know? But yeah I think I'll keep looking on the uni sites thank you:smile: & even though i dislike maths i acc like the maths side of physics because its applied I don't know why It's strange but I just think maths as a stand alone subject is too heavy for me, where as physics uses it in a more applied way which is easier to makes sense of
Reply 10
Original post by loukiawells
I know there as some teachers at my school who say I should and others who say if i get an A in maths gcse thats enough, which is what I'm predicted. I actually really enjoy the maths part of physics i just dont enjoy maths as a stand alone subject if that makes sense?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1675530 I really urge you to look into the Physics specification at A Level and see if it is for you, seeing as you hate Maths, it would be easier to make changes now than to find that you hate the subject towards the end of Year 12. Have fun during your holiday, you deserve it. :biggrin:
I did Maths, 3 sciences and Latin at AS Level. I must reiterate again how big of a role Maths plays in Physics. It will be much easier if you do Maths. This also goes for Chemistry. My friend who did Chemistry but not Maths really struggled with some calculations. If it's just because of the teacher that you don't like Maths, I think it might be best to take it. You can self study a lot of Maths, and a third of it is also Applied Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest