The Student Room Group

How low will our £ go ?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe the pound is simply just good at limbo. How low can you go? How low can you go?
Reply 41
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Hopefully it will keep going lower, force the Middle classes to take holidays in traditional British holiday resorts such as Skegness, Blackpool and Great Yarmouth rather than the South of France. :sly:

:puke: *
Original post by the bear
:puke: *

Hey bear, you can find yourself a nice holiday romance :wink:

''Sharon''
Reply 43
Hey bear, you can find yourself a nice holiday romance :wink:

''Sharon''

your Mum is called Sharon ? she never told me*
your Mum is called Sharon ? she never told me*

My mama has a classy name, so that's not going to work on me. Lets just say that you're not going be the only warm, furry bundle of fun on your next trip to the seaside.

If you know what I mean hah! :biggrin:
Reply 45
My mama has a classy name, so that's not going to work on me. Lets just say that you're not going be the only warm, furry bundle of fun on your next trip to the seaside.

If you know what I mean hah! :biggrin:

:nope: bear™ does not put out for chipmunks

:vroam: *
:nope: bear™ does not put out for chipmunks

:vroam: *

My avatar is quite clearly a beaver m8 :pierre:
Reply 47
My avatar is quite clearly a beaver m8 :pierre:

i rest my case

i rest my case

Nobody wants ur wood though m8

:teehee: :wink: :rofl:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well for years the City have been telling us they will leave and go to Switzerland so maybe the threat of us being outside the EU will force them to do it.

Also I see Hollande is bidding to try and get Paris to tempt the City away from London. He is seeing the potential tax revenues that will come in from financial services like the UK got in the 2000s. What could possibly go wrong with this strategy.

Note the Chancellor has already talked about reducing corp tax to 15% - I don't think Hollande will be able to challenge that! In any event, there is no serious prospect of Paris suddenly becoming London - quite the reverse I would think, stagnation in France is going to intensify.
It's fantastic, although I'm hoping it will go lower. We've got a French house sale going through in the next couple of weeks. Already worth £15k more than a couple of weeks ago. Silver lining and all that.

Thanks leave voters. Hope you don't lose your jobs.
Original post by Quantex
It's fantastic, although I'm hoping it will go lower. We've got a French house sale going through in the next couple of weeks. Already worth £15k more than a couple of weeks ago. Silver lining and all that.

Don't forget to send us food parcels. Camembert, Roquefort... :cry2:
My parents were very smart and changed their holiday money two days before the Referendum. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst is a good adage to live by.
I think it's going to rebound soon, it can't get lower than that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
*breaking news*

£ is down again. THANKS BREXIT

1.17 Euro down from 1.20 on Friday.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/5142-gbp-today-3212*
It won't improve as long as there's uncertainty. Nobody knows if we are even going to leave or not and if so when? This is having a negative impact on our economy. We need to be clear and quickly otherwise the damage will continue. We either leave or stay because this uncertainty is damaging. Why are the politicians afraid to say we want to remain? And if we were going to Leave why are they not saying it??
Reply 56
Original post by Quantex

your dreams are coming true thanks to the Magic of Brexit !!

Original post by MagicNMedicine
If there is a real crisis in sterling like that we could announce a peg to the Euro and raise interest rates in the UK accordingly to keep us one for one with the Euro.

This would give businesses certainty as it would mean that those trading with Eurozone countries would be able to plan that there would be no currency fluctuations. If it was an official policy they could also accept Euros as legal currency in the UK.

Other countries do this with the dollar.

Third world countries do, yes...

It would be delicious irony, even though we would be a total economic basket case with sterling's reserve status lost forever, if the result of this was that we had to essentially join the Euro.

It didn't go too well last time we tried to peg our currency to the Euro as part of the ERM.
Original post by scrotgrot

It would be delicious irony, even though we would be a total economic basket case with sterling's reserve status lost forever, if the result of this was that we had to essentially join the Euro.

we could have the last laugh, if we later surrendered and joined the Euro, then went bust and had to have France, Germany etc contributing to bail us out
We'll all be dealing in bottle caps soon enough.

Quick Reply

Latest