The Student Room Group

Advice please!

A few weeks ago i finished my 1st year at uni and i studied ba business management. i really don't enjoy the course. when i was at college doing my final year of a levels i didn't want to go to uni because i didn't have an interest in studying something further. up and till now nothing has changed. Don't get me wrong but education is very improtant since i dont have a passion for a subject it makes it feel dificult to attend uni and do assignments. i don't want to go back there in september but dont know what the alternatives are. i feel worried and deppressed about it. does having a degree mean you will be successful in life?
i just want to work somewhere and build myself up. i currently have a part time job for which i really hate doing and i just want to quit my job. can someone please give me advice and help?
Original post by tarak2016
A few weeks ago i finished my 1st year at uni and i studied ba business management. i really don't enjoy the course. when i was at college doing my final year of a levels i didn't want to go to uni because i didn't have an interest in studying something further. up and till now nothing has changed. Don't get me wrong but education is very improtant since i dont have a passion for a subject it makes it feel dificult to attend uni and do assignments. i don't want to go back there in september but dont know what the alternatives are. i feel worried and deppressed about it. does having a degree mean you will be successful in life?
i just want to work somewhere and build myself up. i currently have a part time job for which i really hate doing and i just want to quit my job. can someone please give me advice and help?

Hi, there!
I have just finished my second year at college studying applied science and I have to admit that although there was so much pressure from assignments, it was nevertheless enjoyable, it was hands on , which made it unique and opened May options for me.

You could try change your course to see what suits you best. If you are not enjoying business then it may not be for you. I tried studying AS Business but I felt switched off and ended up failing it. Or you could do something more hands on or even better if you explore career opetunities associated with your degree subject that could motivate you. Don't worry though, there are many opportunities available for graduates and even if you don't feel inclined towards fcompleting your course you could do a different course at university or study for a foundation degree to start something completely new
Reply 2
hi, thanks for your reply. i just want to work abroad now. but don't know what i job i want or where i can find these opportunties.
Reply 3
Hey I feel exactly the same way as you, except I've just finished my second year and am being pressured by my dad to grit my teeth and finish my final year, despite the fact that this past year I've cried almost everyday and isolated myself from everyone. I definitely regret not taking a year out after my first year to think about what I wanted to do and spend some time working and travelling. If I were you I'd take a year out to do some work experience and work abroad - I think STA travel does some good deals. Also, have you spoken to your tutors about how you're feeling or had any counselling etc? I felt very lonely and isolated at uni as I felt I was the only one not having the time of my life, but one of my friends revealed that she also wasn't particularly enjoying it, so remember - you're not the only one that feels this way. But I'd definitely look into changing courses or intermitting from your course for a year to see how you feel, then at the end of the year you can choose to go back, change course, or leave. Remember though, ultimately it's your choice and your life :smile: Hope this helps
Reply 4
hi, thanks for your reply. Yes i have had counselling session through out my 1st year and it really helped. However i am showing signs of depression. I just dont want to back in my 2nd year in sept and study business management. i dont know why i am studying since i dont have plans in becoming a manager and didn't want to uni in the first place. I did take a gap year once i completed my a - levels. worked at a lot of hours in retail for which i dont like and didnt get to travel enough.

i just don't know what to do. i am 21 years old, this is the age when people get their degree and start their life. my friends and family members got theirs and now they are going to earn a good amount of money.

i just dont know what to do. i dont enjoy uni.
Reply 5
Original post by tarak2016
hi, thanks for your reply. Yes i have had counselling session through out my 1st year and it really helped. However i am showing signs of depression. I just dont want to back in my 2nd year in sept and study business management. i dont know why i am studying since i dont have plans in becoming a manager and didn't want to uni in the first place. I did take a gap year once i completed my a - levels. worked at a lot of hours in retail for which i dont like and didnt get to travel enough.

i just don't know what to do. i am 21 years old, this is the age when people get their degree and start their life. my friends and family members got theirs and now they are going to earn a good amount of money.

i just dont know what to do. i dont enjoy uni.

If you really don't want to go, you don't have to, nobody's forcing you (which is what I should have told myself a year ago). Life's too short to be miserable and hating the course you study - which will probably impact your motivation and the grades you get. Also remember that the course you study won't dictate what path you go down. You can always study something you enjoy but isn't necessarily vocational - I've seen on graduate training scheme adverts and job adverts etc that you'd need a BA .. but in any subject. So unless you want to be a lawyer or doctor or something, I don't think it matters. I sometimes wish that I chose to study business as I'd like to run my own business one day, but I just think I'm not v. academic so I chose what is essentially a mickey mouse degree (I'm studying Illustration btw) :frown: I didn't want to go to uni in the first place either tbh, my dad is just very pushy and thinks that without a degree I'll "end up working in Sainsburys" as he put it. I wish my parents would be like ones that say "do whatever makes you happy" oh well.

However I do think any degree is better than having no degree, and it does give you the edge if competing with someone without education.. You could look into short summer courses and reapplying to study something different, or reapplying to a different institution, or taking a break to really find out what it is you're passionate about. If you need a degree to do your dream job, maybe stick at it but look into changing courses. But some employers value experience just as much. Sometimes I hate uni so much but then I think about how many people would like to be in my position, as I think with a degree, more doors would open, you can go on graduate training schemes, do internships, and potentially earn more than those without a degree. I'd weigh up the pros and cons, but remember, at the end of the day it's your decision, and it sounds like your heart is telling you to take a break but your head is telling you to stay - follow your heart!

But remember, the balls in your court - don't let anyone tell you what to do with your life or how you should live it. As long as your happy, what else matters? Remember that it's ok to live life at your own pace, 21 is still so young and there's some people on my course who are 25! And you've still got your whole life ahead of you! Don't stress too much! And remember you're not the only one that feels this way. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending