The Student Room Group

I missed all my Exams!!

I have a mental health condition I spent my wholdpe exam period in hospital. I did everything but the exams. I feel rubbish because I don't know if I'll get any grades or not. I feel like ive wasted the two hardest years of my life.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elizabeth00
I have a mental health condition I spent my wholdpe exam period in hospital. I did everything but the exams. I feel rubbish because I don't know if I'll get any grades or not. I feel like ive wasted the two hardest years of my life.

FIRST im very sorry to hearand i hope ur absolutely fine. What did u get in ur mocks?? Bcz a friend told me if u do u mocks but u get sick in the exma period u will get the grades u got in ur mocks BUT this only happens if u give them a certificate form the doctors or hospital, did u ??

Priority is mental health and getting better. You cna just sit the exams next year. In th e scheme if things its not a biggie. Stuff happens, so dont worry but do get better.
They cnat grade you on what you havent sat and you said you missed them all..
Okay, your school/college/sixth form should help you apply for special consideration, in which case you'll still get grades but they'll come from mock grades, grades from your AS year if you're in A2, or coursework grades. Talk to your education provider about this and they should be able to help you out and explain what's happening. I couldn't sit one of my exams due to illness, and I missed a lot of coursework for that subject as well. They took my overall grade from my work from the previous year and the coursework that I had completed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Talkand...Talk
FIRST im very sorry to hearand i hope ur absolutely fine. What did u get in ur mocks?? Bcz a friend told me if u do u mocks but u get sick in the exma period u will get the grades u got in ur mocks BUT this only happens if u give them a certificate form the doctors or hospital, did u ??

Not true. Dont always believe what your friends tell you. There are rules dealing with what happens if you are ill or things happen, but none of them probide for grade giving if a person is entirely absent.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Okay, your school/college/sixth form should help you apply for special consideration, in which case you'll still get grades but they'll come from mock grades, grades from your AS year if you're in A2, or coursework grades. Talk to your education provider about this and they should be able to help you out and explain what's happening. I couldn't sit one of my exams due to illness, and I missed a lot of coursework for that subject as well. They took my overall grade from my work from the previous year and the coursework that I had completed.

Not according to the JCQ regulations. They require 50% of the exam/ coursework to have veen completed. They look at performance in the exam already sat.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2015-2016
Original post by 999tigger
Not according to the JCQ regulations. They require 50% of the exam/ coursework to have veen completed. They look at performance in the exam already sat.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2015-2016

I'm speaking for GCSE, not A-Level. In this case it depends on the subjects. If they were absent from the exams but did all the coursework/controlled assessments, then as long as they make up at least 50% of the final grades then they should be good right? Not 100% sure, never had to deal with this at A-Level. They might be able to get some grades and just have to sit some again. It depends on how the course was made up. Either way, if they talk to their exams officer they'll be able to find out whether they are entitled to anything.
I'm speaking for GCSE, not A-Level. In this case it depends on the subjects. If they were absent from the exams but did all the coursework/controlled assessments, then as long as they make up at least 50% of the final grades then they should be good right? Not 100% sure, never had to deal with this at A-Level. They might be able to get some grades and just have to sit some again. It depends on how the course was made up. Either way, if they talk to their exams officer they'll be able to find out whether they are entitled to anything.

I've posted the JCQ rules up on special consideration. The OP was absent from all exams and special consideration is not catered for in that situation. Its only a year and she can get even improved grades next time.
Reply 8
I've posted the JCQ rules up on special consideration. The OP was absent from all exams and special consideration is not catered for in that situation. Its only a year and she can get even improved grades next time.

She was absent from all exams. This doesn't mean all coursework - she said everything else was completed. If coursework makes up 50% of the assessment then special consideration could be used.

Since we don't know the subjects or exam boards it's ridiculous to assume that this isn't the case, so the OP needs to speak to her exams officer and find out what can happen.
Original post by Juno
She was absent from all exams. This doesn't mean all coursework - she said everything else was completed. If coursework makes up 50% of the assessment then special consideration could be used.

Since we don't know the subjects or exam boards it's ridiculous to assume that this isn't the case, so the OP needs to speak to her exams officer and find out what can happen.

Out of interest what subjects are there wihere coursework is 50% or more?

My GCSE Music was 60% coursework/controlled assessment - only 40% exam. Pretty sure GCSE Sciences were similar when I did them, although I'm not sure. Again, didn't do A-Level so can't speak for that. It is a thing though. I think one of my DT subjects was mostly coursework too.
My GCSE Music was 60% coursework/controlled assessment - only 40% exam. Pretty sure GCSE Sciences were similar when I did them, although I'm not sure. Again, didn't do A-Level so can't speak for that. It is a thing though. I think one of my DT subjects was mostly coursework too.

when did you do them? I think the OP is talking about GCSE as it is in the GCSE section.
when did you do them? I think the OP is talking about GCSE as it is in the GCSE section.

Oh yeah, didn't even notice :tongue: I did English/Maths in 2013 November set and the rest in the summer 2014 set.
Reply 13

No idea off the top of my head, but that's the point - from the lack of information given we can't rule it out.

We don't even know it definitely is a gcse, because other than being posted in the subforum we have no other information. It's quite common to do things alongside a gcse (eg it qualifications) which may be able to be claimed anyway, but that the OP doesn't realise are different.
Oh yeah, didn't even notice :tongue: I did English/Maths in 2013 November set and the rest in the summer 2014 set.

Hi I am on aqa exam board for everything. Child dev was 60% coursework as was photography science i did dual. Engljsh i did lit and lang. German was 35%. Maths 0 course work.
Hi I am on aqa exam board for everything. Child dev was 60% coursework as was photography science i did dual. Engljsh i did lit and lang. German was 35%. Maths 0 course work.

Definitely talk to your exams officer when you are able. They'll be able to advise you on what you can get special consideration for and what you might not be able to. I did most of mine with AQA too and a few people in my year group ended up missing different exams for different reasons, and no one was actually left without a grade. Even if you can't get grades for some this year, you should be able to resit them with your college in the next exam set.

Good luck!

The first 3 you have passed the 50% hurdle and the last 4 not. Just tally it up with the exam officer. The only other point is do it soomer rather than later as there are time limits when they have to have special consideration requests by.

YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR EXAM OFFICER TODAY AND GET THE CLAIM IN BY TOMORROW. THE DEADLINE FOR AQA IS STAtED AS 6 JULY.

The last date to submit special consideration requests for the summer 2016 series is 6 July 2016.
I always thought that if ur not present in an exam and the reason is valid then you just get your predicted grades. That's what happened to my friend when on the way to the exam she got ran over by a car. She just got the predicted grades for the subject she missed
I
The first 3 you have passed the 50% hurdle and the last 4 not. Just tally it up with the exam officer. The only other point is do it soomer rather than later as there are time limits when they have to have special consideration requests by.

YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR EXAM OFFICER TODAY AND GET THE CLAIM IN BY TOMORROW. THE DEADLINE FOR AQA IS STAtED AS 6 JULY.

Its already been submitted a week ago.
Original post by Aleks9912
I always thought that if ur not present in an exam and the reason is valid then you just get your predicted grades. That's what happened to my friend when on the way to the exam she got ran over by a car. She just got the predicted grades for the subject she missed

They dont do predicted grades in my school.

Quick Reply

Latest