The Student Room Group

After Sixth Form (law conversion)

Hi.
I have just graduated from Sixth form and is an offer-holder of Cambridge
University. The course I am pursuing is not law and is another Arts subject.
I understand that if I want to pursue law in the future, a law conversion will be
needed (GDL).
I have heard that GDL, and LPC will be risky and have a low success rate.
May I ask what is best career path in becoming a qualified solicitor? I am merely making some plans for my future during this summer holiday.
Furthermore, as I am from Hong Kong, I am likely to return there.

Thank you very much!
About 50% of solicitors took the GDL, so it doesn't have a low success rate at all!

Stick with Cambridge and take the GDL. You would be in a very strong position, no weaker than someone who took the regular Law undergraduate course at Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by Abstract_Prism
About 50% of solicitors took the GDL, so it doesn't have a low success rate at all!

Stick with Cambridge and take the GDL. You would be in a very strong position, no weaker than someone who took the regular Law undergraduate course at Cambridge.

Thanks. I do sometimes, doubt if my potential languages Cambridge degree will
be weaker than the others. When I read some articles regarding to law, they often emphasize the opportunities of an Oxbridge degree. However, I do question that
if this is relating to Oxbridge Law rather than an Oxbridge Arts degree.
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
Language students are one of the most highly represented group in non-law trainees, not far behind history/politics students.

You really have nothing to worry about.

You are going to go the one of the most targeted universities in the world for law. There are only about 300 lawyers per year at Cambridge, so most firms going there are actively trying to recruit the non-lawyers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. During my 4 years, what preparations will it be best? Do i need law firm placements? What is necessary to maximize my chances?
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
Join the university law society

Get involved in any extra curricular activities (the ones you want to, it doesn't matter what it is) - take responsibility with them. Do this in Cambridge and on your year abroad.

Go to careers events

Speak to the careers service (Cambridge is particularly good)

Apply for open days/workshops from your first year

Look for work experience placements, whether work shadowing, vacation scheme, insight programmes, informal placements - it doesn't really matter who with

Learn to write in a clear and concise manner, not like how you you write assignments/essays for your degree

Read the business news that's relevant to the area of law you are looking at going into

If you can, try and get a placement/work experience abroad with a law firm/commercial organisation when you are on your year abroad. This is particularly impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. This is very helpful. I will do more research into law.
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
Join the university law society

Get involved in any extra curricular activities (the ones you want to, it doesn't matter what it is) - take responsibility with them. Do this in Cambridge and on your year abroad.

Go to careers events

Speak to the careers service (Cambridge is particularly good)

Apply for open days/workshops from your first year

Look for work experience placements, whether work shadowing, vacation scheme, insight programmes, informal placements - it doesn't really matter who with

Learn to write in a clear and concise manner, not like how you you write assignments/essays for your degree

Read the business news that's relevant to the area of law you are looking at going into

If you can, try and get a placement/work experience abroad with a law firm/commercial organisation when you are on your year abroad. This is particularly impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest, may I ask what is the competition per place to secure a training contract? Is it around 3:1 or even more?

Thank you very much!!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
If you mean application numbers per place, one recent survey of graduate recruiters put it at 42 applications per vacancy.

However law was the third lowest sector, with only construction and accountancy lower than that.

The FMCG sector gets over double what law does, with 109 applications per vacancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is quite a high level of competition! Is the 42 application statistic
applicable to all types of law firms? Or is it only the Magic circle, silver circle firms?
In other words, just to secure a training contract, there are 42 applications per place?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
That's across firms who are members of the association of graduate recruiters, so that is the larger commercial firms.

It will vary considerably though. I know several regional firms that get less than 10 applications per place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much. I asked this question because I have read an article 'http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/analysis/features/how-to-get-a-training-contract/5042860.fullarticle' that suggest that with '17,500 law students' , there are 5,000
training contract places. The success rate, in this case, will be over 28%.

Edit: Yea, it is true that quality is more important over quantity. Anyway, I think it will be a good
idea that I concentrate on my language*degree, and hopefully in the first year, be able to boast my successes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
It's a really bad way to look at the figures though.

There might be 17500 law students, but that doesn't take into account the non-law students who can also apply, nor international students (law and non-law) who could also apply.

Even if you took the 17500 law students, a significant proportion of those will not pursue a career in law. There will also be a proportion who will want to be barristers rather than solicitors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea. That's true.
Just used it as a source of reference, in spite of its unreliability.
It is from this 'http://www.studentladder.co.uk/insights/law-barristers/how-to-become-a-lawyer.html' that it suggest the 3:1 ratio, yet I do think your 42 application per place sounds more likely.
Thank you for your replies. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nor778
Yea. That's true.
Just used it as a source of reference, in spite of its unreliability.
It is from this 'http://www.studentladder.co.uk/insights/law-barristers/how-to-become-a-lawyer.html' that it suggest the 3:1 ratio, yet I do think your 42 application per place sounds more likely.
Thank you for your replies. :smile:

Can I ask why it matters? Surely if you're considering a career which is competitive not just for entry but to actually stay, competition would be the last thing on your mind?

Go into it guns blazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Princepieman
Can I ask why it matters? Surely if you're considering a career which is competitive not just for entry but to actually stay, competition would be the last thing on your mind?

Go into it guns blazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. Understood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending