The Student Room Group

Fake friends or no friends at all?

I've been friends with these people in my school (I'm in Sixth form now) for quite a few years now and it's been more or less the same ever since day one.
I'll give a few examples.

It'll be just me and this one friend in particular and we'll be in the library working and I'll be trying to read or write an essay and he's constantly talking about irrelevant crap or gossiping about people I don't care about. If I politely say "I'm just trying to work right now..." he'll claim that I'm in "one of those moods again"

Or, even if I don't say anything and just let him talk on and on about whatever, as soon as our other friends come, he just turns his back to me and talks to them instead. Leaving me to literally just sit there. It's like as if he gets bored of me and needs a new toy to play with.

Today, I came out of my lesson to the common area and they were all talking and didn't even utter a word to me. Then when break time ended, they all went to their lessons apart from me and the same boy mentioned above as we had a free. I was reading but he doesn't respect the fact that I'm busy because I do more vigorous subjects than him. As soon as it was lunch and everybody came to the dining room, he just starts conversations with everybody without including me. I know it sounds childish. I'll just sit on my phone and read the news, and then he turns to me and goes "what's up?" I just said that nothing was the matter and carried on reading and he said "well you can smile then!" I just ignored him. He assumed that I wasn't talking to him for some reason when really it was him. I came over to him to sit down and stood by him for a second and he never even looked up at my computer. So I just left.

They're not like this everyday though, sometimes there are days that are great.

Should I ditch?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's probably wondering why dafaq you're so quiet and never start a conversation with him, or never bother talking to his friends :lolwut:

Not everyone's good with picking up microscopic clues on body language, you know. Some people are very good at it, some are downright terrible, but that doesn't make them bad people. Friendship is a two way street, why is it always him who has to come up to you first?
Reply 2
Original post by Another
He's probably wondering why dafaq you're so quiet and never start a conversation with him, or never bother talking to his friends :lolwut:

Not everyone's good with picking up microscopic clues on body language, you know. Some people are very good at it, some are downright terrible, but that doesn't make them bad people. Friendship is a two way street, why is it always him who has to come up to you first?

That's not true. I understand I didn't make it very clear because I only focused on the negatives in my post, but you can't jump to that conclusion. I admit I used to be shy and this boy in particular probably initiated things first - and he + my other friends are way more outgoing and social than me. I do leave my comfort zone and make conversation with lots of people. But I'd rather talk about meaningful things when I have time and I am not busy with schoolwork.
Reply 3
No friends is better
NO FRIENDS IS BETTER BESIDES ITLL HELP YOU CONCENTRATE A LOT MORE ON YOUR A LEVELS WHICH YOULL BE GATEFUL FOR IN THE END WHEN YOU WHIP OUT THOSE A*. Fake friends tend to take advantage of you anyway and you don't want that.
Definitely a male troll.
Reply 6
Original post by TorpidPhil
Definitely a male troll.

Who're you referring to?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
That's not true. I understand I didn't make it very clear because I only focused on the negatives in my post, but you can't jump to that conclusion. I admit I used to be shy and this boy in particular probably initiated things first - and he + my other friends are way more outgoing and social than me. I do leave my comfort zone and make conversation with lots of people. But I'd rather talk about meaningful things when I have time and I am not busy with schoolwork.

Look at it from his point of view:

-> Tries to make conversation. You get mad at him
-> Tries to give you some space while you're revising and talks to other people. You still get mad at him.

He can't win!

We all value our personal time, but friendship is a two way street. I don't care about gossip, or relationships or celebrities, but I'll still make conversation with my friends about them if it makes them happy. In return, they have to sit through my explanation of the last neuroscientific theory I just read about. The world cannot revolve around your feelings alone, it's hard for people to connect with you if you have such a rigid timetable as to when people can (and should) and cannot speak to you.
Reply 8
Original post by Another
Look at it from his point of view:

-> Tries to make conversation. You get mad at him
-> Tries to give you some space while you're revising and talks to other people. You still get mad at him.

He can't win!

We all value our personal time, but friendship is a two way street. I don't care about gossip, or relationships or celebrities, but I'll still make conversation with my friends about them if it makes them happy. In return, they have to sit through my explanation of the last neuroscientific theory I just read about. The world cannot revolve around your feelings alone, it's hard for people to connect with you if you have such a rigid timetable as to when people can (and should) and cannot speak to you.

I completely understand what you're saying and quite frankly I totally agree with you.

But you're missing this point. Perhaps either I didn't explain it right or you read my original post wrong.

The vast majority of our conversations are fine. I'll talk to him and he'll talk to me + the rest of the gang, and we'll talk about whatever, that's fine. We'll all talk in the morning, at break, at lunch, after school online etc.

But we have silent study time when I really want to get work done, but he continues talking but it's not even important stuff about work, and then gets mad regardless.
So your points are invalid. I think you need to re-read my post again if you really want to answer.
When he talks to you, you don't like it. When he doesn't talk, you don't like it. Maybe the problem is you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Like I sad, we have silent study time, but he continues talking throughout and it's not important things about work, and then gets mad when I ask if I can just concentrate on something. Then at break time as soon as everybody else comes he'll just turn his back on me and ignore me then. Then the next day, we're the first out of our friends to get in and he'll just start talking to me as normal because nobody else is there. But if everybody else was there, I'd guarantee he'd talking to them instead. It's like as if he has his preferences and I'm his last resort, a back up plan.
If what I said wasn't true, I think you're reading too much into it. Why don't you try initiating a conversation next time and see what happens?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
When he talks to you, you don't like it. When he doesn't talk, you don't like it. Maybe the problem is your own self?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're saying that the way he is acting is what you would do as well?

What if somebody was CONSTANTLY talking about crap whilst you're trying to write an A Level essay or do a math equation. Then when you asked him to be quiet for a minute, he did be quiet and went off with your other friends and ignored you for the rest of the day, as if you are just a backup option to sit with whilst your other friends are in lessons?
Original post by Enginerd.
If what I said wasn't true, I think you're reading too much into it. Why don't you try initiating a conversation next time and see what happens?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try initiating a conversation and see what happens?

I do of a morning before we go to form. We talk. It's fine. No problem. Then when we have free study time and I'm busy he continues to talk and then claims that I have a problem or "bi-polar" or something because I asked if he could be quiet for a bit. Then when the rest of our friends come along he disregards me.
If you had a poll then id go with none.

If they arent like that every day, then only you cna make the decisions whether the pros oitweigh the cons. It is unlikely you will see them once you leave school.

You might want to consider how much they cramp your style and whether there will be much fuss if you ditch.
Original post by 999tigger
If you had a poll then id go with none.

If they arent like that every day, then only you cna make the decisions whether the pros oitweigh the cons. It is unlikely you will see them once you leave school.

You might want to consider how much they cramp your style and whether there will be much fuss if you ditch.

Thank you. This has definietly been the most helpful because you're right.

Perhaps I won't ditch them as such but rather limit contact if that makes sense.
No friends at all!
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. This has definietly been the most helpful because you're right.

Perhaps I won't ditch them as such but rather limit contact if that makes sense.

It seems to me like they are friends of convenience. they are ok, but you havent got each others backs and in a few years time you will have lost touch completely. Its not all bad, so if you do stay instead of isolating yourself, then you are just going to have to accept that is how they are.

It wont be long before you are off to Uni or out in the wider world. Sounds to me like the distracting one isnt really academic, so he isnt going to see your way of studying and is more interested in the here and now. If he isnt gifted academically then he might end up going to do an apprenticeship etc, whilst you go to Uni.

You can slowly drop them or alternatively why not build on times when its good i.e is it in school or when you go out and do something that things are a lot better?
Original post by 999tigger
It seems to me like they are friends of convenience. they are ok, but you havent got each others backs and in a few years time you will have lost touch completely. Its not all bad, so if you do stay instead of isolating yourself, then you are just going to have to accept that is how they are.

It wont be long before you are off to Uni or out in the wider world. Sounds to me like the distracting one isnt really academic, so he isnt going to see your way of studying and is more interested in the here and now. If he isnt gifted academically then he might end up going to do an apprenticeship etc, whilst you go to Uni.

You can slowly drop them or alternatively why not build on times when its good i.e is it in school or when you go out and do something that things are a lot better?

Thanks, and you're right again. He isn't very academic, not that he's stupid or anything, but he doesn't want to go to uni and is indeed looking into apprenticeships.

:smile:
My final bit fo advice then is if they are great soemtimes, then maybe plan on doing activities outside school with them such as cinema, bowling or whatever you get up to. Then you dont have to be in school mmode and you are more equal. That will mean you know them wele enough to have lunch with or hang around at break times? GL anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending