The Student Room Group

EPQ doesn't match A level choices

Hi, I've heard about the Extended Project Qualification and I'm pretty interested in doing one based around creative writing. My idea at the moment is to look at many different kinds of horror (So Lovecraft, Shelly, Stoker...), take certain elements from some and use them in a horror piece of my own.

However, it doesn't match my choices for A level at all. My choices for A level are Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths; in University I'm planning to study some sort of Physics.

I really like Physics and I really like creative writing, reading and I'm good at both, but I'm not sure that those reasons are good enough for me to do an EPQ.
However, the teachers told me that the English EPQ could show that I have a range of talents and skills, but I'm not so sure.

What're your thoughts? I'm stuck here.
Original post by Heirio
Hi, I've heard about the Extended Project Qualification and I'm pretty interested in doing one based around creative writing. My idea at the moment is to look at many different kinds of horror (So Lovecraft, Shelly, Stoker...), take certain elements from some and use them in a horror piece of my own.

However, it doesn't match my choices for A level at all. My choices for A level are Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths; in University I'm planning to study some sort of Physics.

I really like Physics and I really like creative writing, reading and I'm good at both, but I'm not sure that those reasons are good enough for me to do an EPQ.
However, the teachers told me that the English EPQ could show that I have a range of talents and skills, but I'm not so sure.

Don't bother doing an EPQ if the main purpose is to enhance your uni application, there are better ways to show your interest in a subject. This is even more the case for you, as it would be in a different subject, so it would play a marginal role at best. There's also the risk that rather than inferring that you have a 'range of talents and skills', unis may just think you are not committed or passionate about physics, as you preferred to research a different topic than physics when the opportunity arose.

Only do it if you think you'll get something out of it e.g. enjoyment, learn new skills. In terms of the genre, maybe consider sci-fi, as then you could bring in some physics theory I guess,
What would you enjoy doing, bearing in mind you are going to spend many hours on this project?
Reply 3
Original post by Legendary Quest
What would you enjoy doing, bearing in mind you are going to spend many hours on this project?

I do enjoy writing a lot, but I'm still not sure whether or not this would be worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by Heirio

It's entirely irrelevant to a Physics application BUT if you enjoy the EPQ topic then absolutely go for it. Your A-levels will be the major part of your university application but that doesn't mean they have to define you as a person.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
It's entirely irrelevant to a Physics application BUT if you enjoy the EPQ topic then absolutely go for it. Your A-levels will be the major part of your university application but that doesn't mean they have to define you as a person.

This is my train of thought at the moment, but there's a limited number of spaces for the EPQ and for the assembly there was a huge turn out.
Reply 6
Original post by Heirio

I would try and do an EPQ on something that requires research and new content to learn. Doesn't have to be related to your courses (present and future). That way you can at least talk about the skills you've gained. This is all assuming that an EPQ on creative writing, is a piece of creating writing written by yourself...
Reply 7
Original post by Heirio
This is my train of thought at the moment, but there's a limited number of spaces for the EPQ and for the assembly there was a huge turn out.

Based on my school, 50-60% will drop out.

Most will either carry on with 4 A-levels, take up another AS or simply focus on the three subjects at hand when timing becomes an issue.
Reply 8
Original post by jamestg
I would try and do an EPQ on something that requires research and new content to learn. Doesn't have to be related to your courses (present and future). That way you can at least talk about the skills you've gained. This is all assuming that an EPQ on creative writing, is a piece of creating writing written by yourself...

Yeah, the piece is going to be written by myself, and I was told the EPQ couldn't overlap with my A level courses, so it could be related, but not overlapping.
Reply 9
Original post by Heirio
Yeah, the piece is going to be written by myself, and I was told the EPQ couldn't overlap with my A level courses, so it could be related, but not overlapping.

Yep. It can also be an extension of what you have done :smile:

I wouldn't do something like you're suggesting simply because it's not really building on the skills you'll need for a science-based degree. Research and independent learning are two skills that need to come from whatever EPQ you choose to do, but I doubt a creative writing piece would help these in any way.
Reply 10
I've spoken to my teacher and we're gonna have interviews in order to choose who's gonna do it (since there's limited space and there was a massive turnout). So if my reasons for doing this are good enough, then I'll be let in, if not, then I won't. *shrug*

But with my task, I'm sort of planning to look deeper than just the horror novels. Like, I'm probably going to take a look at what inspired them and then look at other novels which focus on the same themes (for example, Lovecraft has a theme of us being insignificant, so I may read other books holding that theme).

So I think this task will involve going down the rabbit hole quite a bit. I may incorporate some ideas on physics.

Quick Reply

Latest