The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fg45344
Hmmm, surely you can think in German if you were exposed to it at a young age?

I can a bit but I wouldn't really say I was fluent in it. I used to be as I started school there but when I moved here and started learning English I was 6 and I started forgetting German.
Reply 121
Original post by niv1234
I can a bit but I wouldn't really say I was fluent in it. I used to be as I started school there but when I moved here and started learning English I was 6 and I started forgetting German.

So if someone asks you, "what languages can you think in?"...how would you answer?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I think in both, I definitely know I think in punjabi because I swear at people in my head in punjabi.:redface:

I think mostly in English because that is the language I read, watch tv and speak etc but recalling conversations with my mum and some other things are when I know I'm thinking in punjabi.

I was thinking in English when I typed up this post :P

this :rofl:
I think in both, I definitely know I think in punjabi because I swear at people in my head in punjabi.:redface:

Original post by Lord Samosa
this :rofl:

Oyyyyye! Tuhadi maa di..........!
Tuhadi behen di............!
:rofl:
Reply 124
Original post by nucdev

1) Can you think in English?

2) Can you think in Punjabi?

3) What age did you learn both languages?

4) Can you think in any other language?
Original post by fg45344

:lol: I've already answered your questions about Hindi and Gujarati on the previous pages. I don't really speak Punjabi (anymore :emo:)
I was just messing with @TheonlyMrsHolmes and @Lord Samosa :laugh:
Original post by nucdev

I never got this notification until you tagged me :s-smilie:

Most of the time I hear myself saying things like "What an absolute kuthi!" :redface: Omg that reminds me, years ago me and my friends named a group of girls in my old school the "kuthiya" and we always referred to them as that. I think we still would now if we spoke about them, like "Did you see thingy was hanging around with the Kuthiya the other day!" XDD

It's actually so funny! XD
Of course we can- we are essentially just talking in our heads thats what thinking is
Reply 128
Original post by fg45344

2) Can you think in Dutch?

1) Yes, I can think in English.
2) Yes, I can think in Dutch.
3) I'm a native Dutch speaker. I started learning English in school when I was 10-ish. I think I began to think in English now and then in my early teens, when I started reading in English.
4) I have basic knowledge of a few other languages but can't think in them.
Original post by fg45344

2) Can you think in Welsh?

5-6ish I could speak both
*4) Can you think in any other language?

1 and 2: Yes
3: 4-5ish
4:no*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 130
Original post by Miracle Day

1 and 2: Yes
3: 4-5ish
4:no*

Reply 131
Original post by Emilycunningham
Of course we can- we are essentially just talking in our heads thats what thinking is

Are you bilingual? Can you think in both languages or just english?
Reply 132

I think mostly in English because that is the language I read, watch tv and speak etc but recalling conversations with my mum and some other things are when I know I'm thinking in punjabi.

I was thinking in English when I typed up this post :P

Original post by fg45344
Are you bilingual? Can you think in both languages or just english?

I just said yes I can
Reply 134
Original post by Emilycunningham
I just said yes I can

What are the languages? What age did you learn them? Can you think in any other language?
Original post by fg45344

I already answered these. Jesus
Reply 136
Original post by EleonoraDi
Yes, you definitely can!
I've gone to a bilingual school so I know both English and Italian fluently and I assure you, you can definitely pick which one you want to think in. Sometimes I start thinking half and half, and that's when things start to get confusing :tongue:

So do you think in Italian or English most of the time and why? Can you consciously choose your thinking language? Can you think in any other languages?
I'll give you the basics now.

1. If you are basically fluent then yes, you can think in either language.

2. The language you naturally think in depends on which language you feel closer to and the situation. E.g. if you live in UK and are surrounded by English people, you will think in English. If you go visit France and are surrounded by people speaking French, you will switch to thinking in French.

This is simply because some words don't have translations or cannot be interpreted the same way so it is easier to respond if you are thinking in that language. So our brains adapt and switch.

3. Yes, you can willingly switch between the languages you think in if you want.

4. The age you learned the language does not really matter, it is the level of fluency which matters. Obviously, if you learned it at younger age, you will probably be more proficient in it compared to a language you started learning 1 year ago.

Interesting facts:
1.The accents people have while speaking a different language appear mostly because the tongue and mouth are used to certain movements. That is why people from the same country have similar accents. Example, Russian language is, what I like to call, a hard language (as in, hard in the sounds while French or English have pretty soft sounds). So when Russians speak English, they are used to the hardness and harshness of Russian and find I hard to add the softness that English requires.

2. The more interesting thing to investigate is how speaking in different languages affect personality. There have been studies that the same person speaking in one language may act more polite, change their tone of voice to a higher pitch. And when speaking in another, they will act harsher and change their tone to a lower pitch.
Original post by Devify
I'll give you the basics now.

1. If you are basically fluent then yes, you can think in either language.

2. The language you naturally think in depends on which language you feel closer to and the situation. E.g. if you live in UK and are surrounded by English people, you will think in English. If you go visit France and are surrounded by people speaking French, you will switch to thinking in French.

This is simply because some words don't have translations or cannot be interpreted the same way so it is easier to respond if you are thinking in that language. So our brains adapt and switch.

3. Yes, you can willingly switch between the languages you think in if you want.

4. The age you learned the language does not really matter, it is the level of fluency which matters. Obviously, if you learned it at younger age, you will probably be more proficient in it compared to a language you started learning 1 year ago.

Interesting facts:
1.The accents people have while speaking a different language appear mostly because the tongue and mouth are used to certain movements. That is why people from the same country have similar accents. Example, Russian language is, what I like to call, a hard language (as in, hard in the sounds while French or English have pretty soft sounds). So when Russians speak English, they are used to the hardness and harshness of Russian and find I hard to add the softness that English requires.

2. The more interesting thing to investigate is how speaking in different languages affect personality. There have been studies that the same person speaking in one language may act more polite, change their tone of voice to a higher pitch. And when speaking in another, they will act harsher and change their tone to a lower pitch.

Wow, really informative. Thanks a lot.
I'm bilingual from birth in Portuguese and English, but I very rarely think in Portuguese as it is not as good as my English (despite Portuguese being my first language). It's quite strange because I understand Portuguese perfectly, but since I don't speak it very often, my speaking isn't as good as my understanding.

I currently live in Japan though, and Japanese is the only language I communicate in, so I tend to think in Japanese. I'm not a Japanese native speaker but I'd say I'm trilingual, as I can comfortably switch between Japanese and English, and Japanese comes naturally to me (more naturally than Portuguese!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending