The Student Room Group

Police caution

Shortly after hearing I had recieved an MSc position, an old acquaintence reported me to the police for a past transgression.

I was taken in for a police interview and the officer has told me it will likely be a police caution for malicious communications (wont go into detail both sides said stuff but i'm getting shafted).

Do I have to disclose this to my university? As I understand if I were to apply again to the question "do you have any criminal convictions" the answer would be no regardless of if I have a caution?

How negatively will such a caution affect me in pursuing a career in consultancy/finance?

I've done the crime and am willing to do the time not looking for anyone to tell me everything is ok just want guidance on what to do/expect.

Thanks.
This could have a significant effect on your future, especially when it comes to finding a job, since you often have to declare any criminal record. This is also true for visa applications if you want to travel abroad. Cautions are sometimes wiped off your record after a few years, sometimes they are not and stay with you permanently, and the only way to clean your record is to fight it in court if you think you're not guilty.
Reply 2
I don't expect the caution to be wiped off at all, i'm fine with that.

Im asking as the caution is not a "criminal conviction" and my application asked if I had a "criminal conviction" if I need to update my university, if i applied again I would answer no just as I had initially.

I'm aware caution limits job prospects, but for example for PWc/EY this particular caution would not need to be disclosed as it isn't dishonesty - I was asking how much this would impact a career in finance particularly.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't expect the caution to be wiped off at all, i'm fine with that.

Im asking as the caution is not a "criminal conviction" and my application asked if I had a "criminal conviction" if I need to update my university, if i applied again I would answer no just as I had initially.

I'm aware caution limits job prospects, but for example for PWc/EY this particular caution would not need to be disclosed as it isn't dishonesty - I was asking how much this would impact a career in finance particularly.

Perhaps your university only specifies "conviction". But it will show on DBS checks for jobs in the future. Sometimes it's asked "Do you have any criminal convictions?", in which case you should be fine, as is the case with your university application. However, in other cases it's worded "Do you have a criminal record?" or "Do you have a clean criminal record?" etc, in which case you would have to declare it.

Just today I had to tick a Yes / No box for the latter.*
Reply 4
Original post by XMaramena
Perhaps your university only specifies "conviction". But it will show on DBS checks for jobs in the future. Sometimes it's asked "Do you have any criminal convictions?", in which case you should be fine, as is the case with your university application. However, in other cases it's worded "Do you have a criminal record?" or "Do you have a clean criminal record?" etc, in which case you would have to declare it.

Just today I had to tick a Yes / No box for the latter.*

Yeah i'm fully aware what a caution means in the long term, but if I recieve one theres absoloutely nothing I can do i'll have it - I made the mistake of having my disagreements online.

I just wanted to know if I was ok in not letting my university know as it isn't a criminal conviction (which is what I had to check on my application).

Also wanted to know from people within the industry I want what this means for me getting into finance. I mean yes I understand it's a spot against my name and if they ask about any criminal records it's down to their discretion to reject me on this basis, but I wanted to know if this particular caution would bar me from finance the same way a dishonesty or a fraud caution would.

Tl;dr I know a caution is bad theres nothing I can do about it if I recieve one. But i'd like advice on a specific industry.
Original post by Anonymous
Shortly after hearing I had recieved an MSc position, an old acquaintence reported me to the police for a past transgression.

I was taken in for a police interview and the officer has told me it will likely be a police caution for malicious communications (wont go into detail both sides said stuff but i'm getting shafted).

Do I have to disclose this to my university? As I understand if I were to apply again to the question "do you have any criminal convictions" the answer would be no regardless of if I have a caution?

How negatively will such a caution affect me in pursuing a career in consultancy/finance?

I've done the crime and am willing to do the time not looking for anyone to tell me everything is ok just want guidance on what to do/expect.

Thanks.

Cautions only remain on your criminal record for a period of six months, after that time you no longer need to declare any convictions to an employer. A police caution is basically a slap on the wrist and it's nothing to worry about over the medium and long term.
Reply 6
I was under the impression that cautions dont have to be disclosed? seeing as its so petty and even a conditional discharge doesnt need disclosing [after x amount of time]
as for jobs its hit and miss.. since its minor, non violent and nothing to impugn your character like theft, deceit etc. it shouldnt reflect too badly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending