The Student Room Group

How would AQA punish this offence?

So basically I was in a group chat of about 45 people, all the ppl came from TSR and it was a group chat relating to one subject.
On the day of the exam someone, who had a clash, did the exam everyone else was doing in the afternoon in the morning. She went toilet with her phone and told everyone what was in the exam to help out the people who was doing it in the afternoon.
This info was then put on to our group chat.
AQA found out about this and now some people in the group chat are now being investigated.
I was investigated yesterday. Personally I didn't do anything other than being in the group chat. Personally I did not believe the leakage of the exam and just took it as other predictions.
Also the info was posted on this website and Facebook. I think this is how AQA found out about it.
So how do you guys think AQA will punish me for being in a group chat?

These are the possible punishment:

a warning (880 given in summer 2014)

loss of marks for a section, component or unit (1,220 in summer 2014)

disqualification from a unit, all units or whole qualifications

a ban from sitting exams for a set period of time.

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Minimum punishment will probably be no mark for the exam. This is probably the most likely but see below.

Maximum could be complete disqualification for the main students, for bystanders like yourself I wouldn't be suprised to see no mark for the qualification. I know they're toughening up.
Death sentence.
Hopefully they're not too harsh about it. Can't you explain your case to them or is that out of the question?
Reply 3
It all depends on the evidence though. If the person said they were predictions, you probably won't be punished. If she said categorically that it was in the exam, you'll probably receive some kind of punishment.

However as you thought they were predictions I'm thinking she probably said they were predictions?
Reply 4
Please note all the probables - I'm not an expert, I'll look up what JCQ says...
What subject was this for?
Reply 6
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Death sentence.
Hopefully they're not too harsh about it. Can't you explain your case to them or is that out of the question?

I explain my case and said I just looked at them as predictions
Reply 7
Original post by jamestg
It all depends on the evidence though. If the person said they were predictions, you probably won't be punished. If she said categorically that it was in the exam, you'll probably receive some kind of punishment.

However as you thought they were predictions I'm thinking she probably said they were predictions?

No someone cheated but everyone in the group chat thought it was ********
Reply 8
Original post by df2397
So basically I was in a group chat of about 45 people, all the ppl came from TSR and it was a group chat relating to one subject.
On the day of the exam someone, who had a clash, did the exam everyone else was doing in the afternoon in the morning. She went toilet with her phone and told everyone what was in the exam to help out the people who was doing it in the afternoon.
This info was then put on to our group chat.
AQA found out about this and now some people in the group chat are now being investigated.
I was investigated yesterday. Personally I didn't do anything other than being in the group chat. Personally I did not believe the leakage of the exam and just took it as other predictions.
Also the info was posted on this website and Facebook. I think this is how AQA found out about it.
So how do you guys think AQA will punish me for being in a group chat?

These are the possible punishment:

a warning (880 given in summer 2014)

loss of marks for a section, component or unit (1,220 in summer 2014)

disqualification from a unit, all units or whole qualifications

a ban from sitting exams for a set period of time.

I think you personally should not be punished as no malpractice has occurred on your part, you have unintentionally received access to privileged information. The person responsible should be severely punished and disqualified from all A Level exams given the severity of the offence.
Reply 9
"Awarding bodies will endeavour to protect candidates who, through no fault of their own, are caught up in a malpractice incident."
Reply 10
Original post by DBR247
I think you personally should not be punished as no malpractice has occurred on your part, you have unintentionally received access to privileged information. The person responsible should be severely punished and disqualified from all A Level exams given the severity of the offence.

I agree, I didnt do anything.
OMGSH how can that person be so stupid. It's really odd that this info got leaked though. I don't think they will give you no marks because it's not clear who read the messages and who didn't. I think the student who gave out the predictions will be the one who will get warned and punished not you. However you'll have to wait and see. Wish you the best.
(edited 7 years ago)
a) how tf did AQA find out about that

b) who tf was stupid enough to do that
Original post by Alexion

bet someone from tsr snitched + yeh agree seems pretty stupid seeing as so many people were in the group chat and you can't trust that many people not to tell aqa
Reply 14
Original post by Alexion

Cause the girl put it on fb and tsr
Original post by df2397

The same one that did the cheating? :rofl: how stupid can she get
Reply 16
Original post by df2397

Well that was stupid. If you're gonna cheat at least do it well.
Reply 17
Original post by jamestg
"Awarding bodies will endeavour to protect candidates who, through no fault of their own, are caught up in a malpractice incident."

You have nothing to worry about. What the JCQ says is law in terms of awarding bodies!
Reply 18
Original post by Alexion

Nah two different people
Original post by Alexion

She also had her phone with her during an exam, and even wasted her own time during the exam to pretend to go toilet o_0

Quick Reply