The Student Room Group

If you ever think when has a a mass shooting been stopped by a armed civilian USA

Scroll to see replies

an estimated 50 mass shootings per WEEK are stopped by civilians
the news and media will pick up on any case where it didn't happen and use it to take away your guns so they have total control over you
Original post by joecphillips
The majority being suicide and people wanting to kill themselves, who would find a way anyway.

Illinois has some of the strictest gun control laws in the USA yet Chicago had 397 people shot and 66 fatally.

California have the strictest and San Bernardino and ucla show how well that went.

Vermont who are ranked 41st have the least gun murders per 100,000 people of any us state.

Already had that.
Those figures are excluding suicides.
Your other figuires are irrelevant because we are comparing it to the UK . Its up to them whether they shoot themselves or not, but it doesnt take a genius to figure out the reason there are so many gun related deaths and so many more incidents of mass shootinsg isnt becayse guns make people safer, its becayse it increases the chance of people killing and easily having the tools to do so.

Arguing having more gins as easily available as they are makes people safer is moronic.
Original post by Good bloke
This incident serves to highlight the number of legally-armed vigilante nutters wandering the streets of the USA - a major risk to the general public.

How is an armed, law abiding citizen a, " major threat to the public"? In the news story presented in this thread it worked out pretty good.
Original post by Drewski
Will it balls.

It won't put an end to it in your country, so it won't end it on a site full of idealist students in a country where these things are controlled.

Ok, a "good guy with a gun" stopped a "bad guy with a gun", but they still managed to injure innocent people in the process. If you were the guy who got shot by some randomer you'd be pretty pissed off, regardless of how the incident turned out.

I've used handguns, rifles, assault rifles and full military spec weaponry, I know I wouldn't trust random bum**** guy with them. I'm constantly utterly astounded that anybody does. No training needed, no competency tests, no proficiency testing... it's insane.

I'm sure I would be pissed off had I been shot but it sure as hell wouldn't be at the good guy with a gun who probably saved my ass.

Law enforcement personnel receive a minimal amount of arms training. Not near enough. It's up to them to become proficient just as it is up to the armed citizen to become proficient.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
They do prefer feels over fact

Original post by oldercon1953
I trust this will put an end to the anti-gun nonsense on this site.

Original post by jake4198
If there's one thing progressives hate, it's facts. The moment you provide evidence that contradicts their political agenda you run the risk of triggering them and preaching hate. Sadly, most of them will have already found comfort in their safe-space before you can have a reasonable conversation on the issue.

Do you not think its quite feasible that if there were fewer guns then mass shootings would be less frequent? Or is it simply a coincidence that there have been three mass shootings in the past thirty years in the UK? The USA had three school shootings in February 2016 alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by jamesthehustler
an estimated 50 mass shootings per WEEK are stopped by civilians
the news and media will pick up on any case where it didn't happen and use it to take away your guns so they have total control over you

source?
How is an armed, law abiding citizen a, " major threat to the public"? In the news story presented in this thread it worked out pretty good.

Putting aside the assumption implicit in your question that an armed person with a permit for the gun is law-abiding in all respects, he can be dangerous in several obvious ways. Let's deal with the most obvious few:

He can have an accident - a huge number of injuries and deaths occur in the USA when people mishandle their weapons.

If he uses it against someone (a possible "baddie") there is likely to be a risk of injury to bystanders.

He makes it easier for someone to steal it off him, merely by bopping him on the head from behind and taking it from his pocket.
Original post by Underscore__
Do you not think its quite feasible that if there were fewer guns then mass shootings would be less frequent? Or is it simply a coincidence that there have been three mass shootings in the past thirty years in the UK? The USA had three school shootings in February 2016 alone.

There are so many guns in the US that it'd take more than a generation to get rid of all of then, hence why an absolute ban would be a complete waste of time, especially given the uproar it'd cause as the right to bear arms is an integral part of the constitution. Also, given that the illegal arms would be imported from Mexico and Cuba if a ban was to occur it wouldn't be hard for someone to get access to a gun through the black market if they really wanted one, much like how easy it is to get cannabis even though it's illegal.

So if an absolute ban wouldn't work, the only other alternative is to arm everyone or have armed guards at every single venue or event. Although the was an armed guard in the case of the Orlando shooting, there needs to be more than one person with a gun and more than one guard responsible for the safety of over one hundred people.
Original post by jake4198
There are so many guns in the US that it'd take more than a generation to get rid of all of then, hence why an absolute ban would be a complete waste of time, especially given the uproar it'd cause as the right to bear arms is an integral part of the constitution. Also, given that the illegal arms would be imported from Mexico and Cuba if a ban was to occur it wouldn't be hard for someone to get access to a gun through the black market if they really wanted one, much like how easy it is to get cannabis even though it's illegal.

So if an absolute ban wouldn't work, the only other alternative is to arm everyone or have armed guards at every single venue or event. Although the was an armed guard in the case of the Orlando shooting, there needs to be more than one person with a gun and more than one guard responsible for the safety of over one hundred people.

There a lot of guns but there are definitely schemes they could try to encourage people to hand over their gun such as financial incentives. I don't think most gun owners in the US are these mad gun loving rednecks you see on TV. Well illegal arms can be imported to any country, that's hardly a reason to legalise guns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pjm600
source?

this was something i read back after sandy hook it was a column in the NYT
Original post by Good bloke
Putting aside the assumption implicit in your question that an armed person with a permit for the gun is law-abiding in all respects, he can be dangerous in several obvious ways. Let's deal with the most obvious few:

He can have an accident - a huge number of injuries and deaths occur in the USA when people mishandle their weapons.

If he uses it against someone (a possible "baddie":wink: there is likely to be a risk of injury to bystanders.

He makes it easier for someone to steal it off him, merely by bopping him on the head from behind and taking it from his pocket.

I am so glad your over there.

Yeah, lets trash the 2nd Amendment because ssomebody may drop his gun and it may go off and someone may get hurt.

Let me help you with this second one' ANYTIME a gun is used in public there is a DEFINITE risk to bystanders. Whats your point? See my first response.

When terrorists take the next logical step and begin busting in doors and slaughtering entire neighborhoods I hope such wimpy arguments such as you've given bring you much comfort as your waiting for the local cops to come and save your asses.
I am so glad your over there.

So am I.

I hope such wimpy arguments such as you've given bring you much comfort as your waiting for the local cops to come and save your asses.

You labour under a misapprehension about British culture. Our police forces have no role to play in animal protection. If I had an ass i was worried about I would call the RSPCA - the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals.

I'd call the police if I were worried about my arse though.

When terrorists take the next logical step and begin busting in doors and slaughtering entire neighborhoods I hope such wimpy arguments such as you've given bring you much comfort as your waiting for the local cops to come and save your asses.

So to defend against something that may never happen we should allow guns to be owned by every person despite the fact that 2013 accidents involving firearms caused 505 deaths in the US?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's the crux of it' some prefer to throw their hands up and lay their security at the feet of GOV. (The left wing.)
Others prefer to exercise the responsibility of their own security and retain all the rights that come with it by doubling down on the Second Amendment.
Only 4% of shootings are stopped by a 'Good guy with a gun'
So to defend against something that may never happen we should allow guns to be owned by every person despite the fact that 2013 accidents involving firearms caused 505 deaths in the US?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could ask the people who have survived mass shootings that same question.
You will most likely get the same response as you would from anyone with a lick of common sense; of course you should..
More people die from falls in the bathtub.
Original post by JMEisjames
Only 4% of shootings are stopped by a 'Good guy with a gun'

Why is that? Anti gunners who make concealed carry permits hard to get.

What your saying is that 4% of those killed would probably be alive if not for anti-gunners. I agree.
Why is that? Anti gunners who make concealed carry permits hard to get.

What your saying is that 4% of those killed would probably be alive if not for anti-gunners. I agree.

Nope I'm saying arming citizens doesnt mean they stop mass killing as the amount of variables such as time, position, health mean its impossible for a mass shooting to be stopped by an armed civilian. 'Good guy with a gun' is me being sarcastic
Original post by JMEisjames
Nope I'm saying arming citizens doesnt mean they stop mass killing as the amount of variables such as time, position, health mean its impossible for a mass shooting to be stopped by an armed civilian. 'Good guy with a gun' is me being sarcastic

You just said 4% of shootings are stopped by a good guy with a gun. Doesn't it make sense that the more armed citizens there are the higher this percent would be?
You just said 4% of shootings are stopped by a good guy with a gun. Doesn't it make sense that the more armed citizens there are the higher this percent would be?

Even if you arm them, you have to then get them training, which should be around 300 hours a year, we then have to hope there are no uniteneded casulaties, then you have to place them in the 470,000 colleges and 570,000 hospital.

Or we could just stop the mass murderer from getting a gun in the first place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending