The Student Room Group

People who claim Brexiters are less intelligent than Bremainers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by richpanda
You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

this
is why i voted leave

Spoiler

Reply 261
Original post by richpanda
x
It's nothing to do with intelligence or education.

Anyone who took the time to actually look into the issues, and study the arguments involved would know that voting Leave was unlikely to improve anything, and could possibly make things worse.

So, essentially, it was about who could be ****ed to put a little effort in, and who would just accept the unfounded assertions of their favoured media sources.

For instance, the day before the referendum, Nick Clegg wrote a piece which detailed what would happen in the days after a leave vote - which turned out to be unerringly accurate. But did anyone pay any attention? No, because people didn't want to hear it. And because he was blamed by the left and liberals for the excesses and failures of the coalition government - rather than being recognised for keeping them in check, which was the reality.
Instead, they just lapped up the obvious lies that pandered to peoples own prejudices and vested interests. So in a way, it is easy to see why people would think that Brexiters are less intelligent. They probably aren't, they just acted as if they were.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thutmose-III
You remind me of people who get all C's at A-level and then say, "I could get A*s if I wanted to, I just can't be bothered"

all that is probably true and another thing thats true is the time you spent writing that is time you will never get back. and the time i spent writing this is time i will also never get back. and we are both closer to death than we have ever been right at this second xxx
Original post by Ash8991
They're not less intelligent. It's just the fact that people immediately assume that having a degree automatically makes you an intelligent person. Also, statistics wise, the older generation, who predominantly voted leave, weren't as able to get degrees as we are at the moment. So the fact that most vote leavers don't have degrees is because they're from an earlier generation and not because they're idiots.

(I voted remain btw)

Well, the stats show that areas with low % of highly educated people and low income areas voted for Brexit. So, it is not just a case of older people with less access to education voting for Brexit.*

* Also, older people tend to be more racist. That is well known. *
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a Bachelors and a Masters degree and I voted leave because I think the UK should be able to make it's own decisions about where money should be spent. We spend billions of pounds every year bailing out countries like Greece, when we have our own debts to settle. I think that immigration is good for Britain, but I think that it should be controlled. People should be allowed to come here and work, but there should be limits to how many migrants we can let into the country per year. If immigration is unlimited and a free for all for EU nationals, like it is at the moment, our public services and housing will not be able to cope. By allowing free movement, it is impossible to predict how many migrants will come to live, work and study here. Therefore Britain cannot provide the opportunities, lifestyle and jobs which people already living in the UK want and need. EU Migrants settle in Britain because they think they will have a better life and can provide better for their families. There is no point them coming if when they arrive they cannot get a job, a home and access to medical care. We are a small country and if we do not put controls in place to limit our population size, we will eventually run out of land to build new houses, hospitals and schools. Building these things costs money, and we do not have the resources at the moment to do this. We have also had to put limits on non EU refugees coming to the UK from countries such as Syria and Afghanistan. We cannot help as many people as we could do, who are fleeing war and persecution because EU migrants are putting a strain on our already stretched resources. We should have the same system for EU migrants as non EU migrants and prioritise immigration on a needs basis. Immigrants who have skills that we desperately need, asylum seekers, and partners and children of UK nationals/UK residents should be given priority, and all others should have yearly caps on numbers.
Original post by Powersymphonia
I have a Bachelors and a Masters degree and I voted leave because I think the UK should be able to make it's own decisions about where money should be spent. We spend billions of pounds every year bailing out countries like Greece, when we have our own debts to settle. I think that immigration is good for Britain, but I think that it should be controlled. People should be allowed to come here and work, but there should be limits to how many migrants we can let into the country per year. If immigration is unlimited and a free for all for EU nationals, like it is at the moment, our public services and housing will not be able to cope. By allowing free movement, it is impossible to predict how many migrants will come to live, work and study here. Therefore Britain cannot provide the opportunities, lifestyle and jobs which people already living in the UK want and need. EU Migrants settle in Britain because they think they will have a better life and can provide better for their families. There is no point them coming if when they arrive they cannot get a job, a home and access to medical care. We are a small country and if we do not put controls in place to limit our population size, we will eventually run out of land to build new houses, hospitals and schools. Building these things costs money, and we do not have the resources at the moment to do this. We have also had to put limits on non EU refugees coming to the UK from countries such as Syria and Afghanistan. We cannot help as many people as we could do, who are fleeing war and persecution because EU migrants are putting a strain on our already stretched resources. We should have the same system for EU migrants as non EU migrants and prioritise immigration on a needs basis. Immigrants who have skills that we desperately need, asylum seekers, and partners and children of UK nationals/UK residents should be given priority, and all others should have yearly caps on numbers.

I think immigration is good BUT.....Proceeds to spend 3/4's saying it is bad
Some Brexiters are actually more intelligent than those falling for the EU propaganda. Let's see if Brexit actually happens at all.*
Original post by DorianGrayism
I think immigration is good BUT.....Proceeds to spend 3/4's saying it is bad

I think immigration is good because, we can get people into the country with skills which we have a shortage of such as teachers and nurses.
We can help victims of war and torture to escape this and rebuild their lives.
We can educate students who come to Britain to study to gain skills which they may not be able to gain in their own countries, due to inexperience, shortage of money and providers in their home nations etc.
However I think that there should be limits. For example you can only get 5 people in a 5 seater car unless you cram a couple of people in the boot and some in the floor.
If we imagine the UK as a 5 seater car, we currently have all 5 seats filled and 2 people sat in the boot. we could probably squeeze another couple of people in there for the sake of it, but they are not going to be very comfortable.
If we keep adding more people into the car, lets say 5 more, there is not going to be any more room to cram them in. The weight will be too much for the car to handle, and it will not work anymore.
The car is not fit for purpose. You can make the car bigger, but eventually you are going to run out of money and parts to build, new, more efficient and bigger cars.
Petrol is a non renewable energy source. Land also ebbs away in time.
I think immigration is good because, we can get people into the country with skills which we have a shortage of such as teachers and nurses.
We can help victims of war and torture to escape this and rebuild their lives.
We can educate students who come to Britain to study to gain skills which they may not be able to gain in their own countries, due to inexperience, shortage of money and providers in their home nations etc.
However I think that there should be limits. For example you can only get 5 people in a 5 seater car unless you cram a couple of people in the boot and some in the floor.
If we imagine the UK as a 5 seater car, we currently have all 5 seats filled and 2 people sat in the boot. we could probably squeeze another couple of people in there for the sake of it, but they are not going to be very comfortable.
If we keep adding more people into the car, lets say 5 more, there is not going to be any more room to cram them in. The weight will be too much for the car to handle, and it will not work anymore.
The car is not fit for purpose. You can make the car bigger, but eventually you are going to run out of money and parts to build, new, more efficient and bigger cars.
Petrol is a non renewable energy source. Land also ebbs away in time.

Clearly, your masters or degree wasn't science based.*
Clearly, your masters or degree wasn't science based.*

You are correct, my degrees are in English. I am using the imagery of the car as a metaphor to try to explain how the UK cannot cope with constant massive population increases every year. This is also the same for other countries. If the entire population of the UK suddenly decided to move to a small country like Luxembourg, I seriously doubt all 65 million (and growing) of us would fit into it and be able to move around without effort, have a job, go to school and have a place to live. With current EU rules, a great majority of us would meet the criteria to live in Luxembourg with no questions asked. I wonder what Luxembourg would say if millions of us moved there and demanded housing, work and medical care from the first day we were there.
I wonder what Luxembourg would say if millions of us moved there and demanded housing, work and medical care from the first day we were there.

Considering EU migrants are more likely to have a degree, be employed and pay more taxes than your average Brit, it makes your comparison a bit stupid.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Considering EU migrants are more likely to have a degree, be employed and pay more taxes than your average Brit, it makes your comparison a bit stupid.*

I'm talking about a large group of people migrating from one country to another in a short space of time, and how difficult it would be for a country to accommodate a large amount of people and provide them with what they need to maintain a basic standard of living. What the heck has what I said got to do with EU migrants being more likely to have a degree and be employed?

It doesn't matter whether an EU migrant has a degree when they come to the UK if when they arrive, there is no home for them to live in and and no job for them to do when they come. If all the houses are full, all the jobs are filled and no more houses and jobs are being created, then they will be on the streets, homeless and jobless. It is not fair to UK residents and it's certainly not fair on the migrants, if they come here expecting to have a good life, and when they actually arrive, there are no opportunities for them here.

By limiting the number of migrants that can come, we can ensure that the ones we have room for will be able to live here, work here and pay taxes instead of being stuck on the streets wishing they could return home.
I'm talking about a large group of people migrating from one country to another in a short space of time, and how difficult it would be for a country to accommodate a large amount of people and provide them with what they need to maintain a basic standard of living. What the heck has what I said got to do with EU migrants being more likely to have a degree and be employed?

You just wrote the typical racist rhetoric that Migrants are coming to the UK, demanding jobs, health and housing.**

EU Migrants are contributing to the economy. They are not demanding anything.*
It doesn't matter whether an EU migrant has a degree when they come to the UK if when they arrive, there is no home for them to live in and and no job for them to do when they come. If all the houses are full, all the jobs are filled and no more houses and jobs are being created, then they will be on the streets, homeless and jobless. It is not fair to UK residents and it's certainly not fair on the migrants, if they come here expecting to have a good life, and when they actually arrive, there are no opportunities for them here.

Do you have a single fact or are you just regurgitating something from a BNP manifesto?

The jobs are not all filled. The houses are not all full.*
You just wrote the typical racist rhetoric that Migrants are coming to the UK, demanding jobs, health and housing.**

EU Migrants are contributing to the economy. They are not demanding anything.*

Ok I will change the word to need then.
Jobs, health and housing are things that everyone needs.
If a country cannot provide all of it's residents with basic needs like jobs, health care and housing, then it cannot possibly deal with even more people joining the country.
EU Migrants cannot contribute to the economy if they cannot get a job, cannot get a house and cannot get a doctor's appointment. There are many people who are already living here, who struggle to get these things. Therefore we have to limit the future growth of our population. The only ways to do that are to control immigration or to implement policies that limit the number of children families can give birth to, such as those which currently exist in China.
Australia has a points based immigration system and have strict rules to get a visa, such as needing a certain amount of savings before you can more there to ensure that migrants have the facilities to support themselves for a reasonable amount of time while they look for work and a permanent home. Australia only let in individuals who they believe can integrate into society quickly and can contribute to the economy successfully. It can also keep records of who is arriving to check that it has the facilities to accommodate and help new arrivals.
While we are in the EU, the UK cannot put in place restrictions which suit the needs of our country and it's people. With non-EU migrants, the UK can put in place controls and monitor immigration. With free movement, we could end up with many Europeans living in a densley populated area, while large countries with lots of space end up as ghost towns.
Do you have a single fact or are you just regurgitating something from a BNP manifesto?

The jobs are not all filled right now, the houses are not all full right now. But unless we control our population size. In 10-20 years time, the houses and the jobs will all be filled.

Oh and considering that I am a paying member of the Labour Party, and a Labour voter, your insinuation that I read BNP manifestos is pure ********e. Hmm I'm racist?
That's a complete load of pap too.
A) My partner is half Indian
B) I have friends who are German, Iranian and Dutch
C) I am a member of the Equality and Diversity team at work
D) I support students with special needs in an ethnically diverse school. I do this because I am a caring person
E) I fight for the rights of children who are being bullied, as a former victim of bullying for many years myself. Racist remarks and abuse included.

I just don't think we should be in the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
The jobs are not all filled right now, the houses are not all full right now. But unless we control our population size. In 10-20 years time, the houses and the jobs will all be filled.

Again, just making things up.*

People like you said that 20 years ago. It still hasn't happened*

Oh and considering that I am a paying member of the Labour Party, and a Labour voter, your insinuation that I read BNP manifesto is pure ********e. *.

https://www.bnp.org.uk/policies/immigration

" Britain’s full and it’s time to shut the door! "*

Time to pay for a new party.*
Oh and considering that I am a paying member of the Labour Party, and a Labour voter, your insinuation that I read BNP manifestos is pure ********e. Hmm I'm racist?
That's a complete load of pap too.
A) My partner is half Indian
B) I have friends who are German, Iranian and Dutch
C) I am a member of the Equality and Diversity team at work
D) I support students with special needs in an ethnically diverse school. I do this because I am a caring person
E) I fight for the rights of children who are being bullied, as a former victim of bullying for many years myself. Racist remarks and abuse included.

I just don't think we should be in the EU.

Yeh, and my best friend is from Swaziland. So what?

EU migrants contribute more to the economy than they take out. That is simply a fact

Instead, you want to hide behind racist rhetoric that jobs are running out and etc.*
Again, just making things up.*

People like you said that 20 years ago. It still hasn't happened*

https://www.bnp.org.uk/policies/immigration

" Britain’s full and it’s time to shut the door! "*

Time to pay for a new party.*

Well quite frankly, I haven't even clicked on that link, because the BNP make me sick to my stomach and I don't want to read the trash they write. The fact that you have been on their website and have read that policy makes you more of a racist than I'll ever be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending