The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grand High Witch
Isn't deciding what privileges we should give to people, and what laws we enact, on the basis of their numbers in society setting a worrying and unfair precedent?

No.
I support the petition
:thumbsup:
Original post by AccountingBabe
No. Work or quit.

Wow. You are remarkably unpleasant.
Anyone thinking of making a counter-petition for this? I might sign that
Original post by Trapz99
Anyone thinking of making a counter-petition for this? I might sign that

It's free holiday, extend it to all and people will like Muslims.
Original post by Craig1998
No.

Turning that logic around, couldn't we quite as easily say that Christians and irreligious people are (by far) the biggest two groups in the country; therefore, you should not extend any privileges to Muslims and Hindus because they are such small percentages? You are saying that about Buddhists, Sikhs etc. in your argument, so why can't Christians and the irreligious say that about Muslims and Hindus?

Sorry, I just don't think things should be judged on numbers. Same-sex marriage probably wouldn't have been introduced if that was the case.
I don't see an issue with it , it's one day you sad fcks
Original post by tanyapotter
Wow. You are remarkably unpleasant.

She is a known troll , don't take anything she says seriously.
Original post by Legendary Quest
I'm not sure if *everyone* needs to have the day off, especially since the date changes each year and there's always a massive debate on the exact day it should be on.

I think it's fair for Muslims to have the option though so they don't have to use their annual leave.

Excellent point Regarding the logistics behind making eid a holiday. It wouldn't have a fixed date as ramadhan can be either 29 or 30 days. Thus it would be perhaps impossible to make it a holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I don't see an issue with it , it's one day you sad fcks

1 day that becomes many more if you don't discriminate and allow other faiths to also have their religious festivals designated national holidays.

The answer is for employers to be encouraged (or required) to be flexible around this issue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yom Kippur should be a Bank Holiday too.
Allahu Akbar
Original post by Grand High Witch
1 day that becomes many more if you don't discriminate and allow other faiths to also have their religious festivals designated national holidays.

The answer is for employers to be encouraged (or required) to be flexible around this issue.

Few major faiths , 2 or 3 days in the year. Muslims would take leave anyway , so it makes no difference.
Wow... lots of Islamophobia in this thread. Looks like the Brexiter racists are out in full force.
Original post by NickLCFC
That wouldn't really make much sense considering how small the Chinese population is. Muslims on the other hand are 5% of the total population.

what is the requisite percentage to be entitled to a free holiday?
Original post by Reformed
what is the requisite percentage to be entitled to a free holiday?

There isn't one. 5% is certainly big enough though
Imho, they should scrap half term and give all religious/ cultural days off
Original post by quasa
Imho, they should scrap half term and give all religious/ cultural days off

Unrealistic
which is why I'd suggest if anything we should have a FSM related bank holiday, so either September 19th for Talk like a Pirate day, or the new year, which is September 26th.
It's unfair on non Muslim pupils at school firstly because of the principal that Muslims get additional holidays (when they are also allowed Christian national holidays as the uk law and society was foremost based on Christian teachings) also because it disenables learning for non Muslim pupils who are at school as teachers cannot teach when a small majority of the class is absent. However, as the uk is multi cultural and ethnic- to support religious freedom- all holidays that are recognised as important enough to require time off from school and work should be considered a national holiday- this would also allow multi fath families and communities to share their fath and celebrate together. This could also achieve greater community cohesion and reduce racial tension as some non Muslims believe it is unfair that Muslims can be seen as getting special treatment .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending