The Student Room Group

People who claim Brexiters are less intelligent than Bremainers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by richpanda
You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

too true.
My parents have doctorates(one from durham and the other from oxford) and they still voted leave.We are middle class, and not uneducated, and they are both in their 40's
Original post by Powersymphonia
Well quite frankly, I haven't even clicked on that link, because the BNP make me sick to my stomach and I don't want to read the trash they write. The fact that you have been on their website and have read that policy makes you more of a racist than I'll ever be.

It isn't my issue if you are quoting off their website. **
Original post by James David
too true.
My parents have doctorates(one from durham and the other from oxford) and they still voted leave.We are middle class, and not uneducated, and they are both in their 40's

Yeh well, no one is stating that everyone with a degree voted to stay.*

It is simply a fact that better educated people tended to vote for stay. *

Original post by DorianGrayism
Yeh, and my best friend is from Swaziland. So what?

EU migrants contribute more to the economy than they take out. That is simply a fact

Instead, you want to hide behind racist rhetoric that jobs are running out and etc.*

Yes and it is a fact that our schools are becoming too full, hospital waiting times are too long, House prices are ridiculous and unaffordable for the majority of working class people due to the housing shortage and trying to find a space to breathe on the train in a morning is a struggle. The solution is build more houses, build more schools, train more doctors and build more hospitals and improve the railways and buses. However, since we are just coming out of a recession and are giving so much money away to Brussels, we cannot afford to do these things.

It isn't my issue if you are quoting off their website. **

What exactly have I quoted?

The only person I have quoted is myself.
Yes and it is a fact that our schools are becoming too full, hospital waiting times are too long, House prices are ridiculous and unaffordable for the majority of working class people due to the housing shortage

Yeh, I forgot. *All those working class people were snapping up houses before all of those migrants came along. LOL.*
Hospital waiting times are too long because the Tories cut investment in the NHS. Migrants use the NHS less than the average person. So, again, you are talking complete *******s.*

Yeh, I forgot. *All those working class people were snapping up houses before all of those migrants came along. LOL.*
Hospital waiting times are too long because the Tories cut investment in the NHS. Migrants use the NHS less than the average person. So, again, you are talking complete *******s.*

What is the definition of an average person? What figures do you have to show ,migrants use the NHS less. Come up with some real arguments and stop your pathetic, childish charade. I may be a Brexiter, but I'm not as shallow minded as you.I'm not racist, I am not dumb and I am certainly not without knowledge of the wider issues regarding the EU split.
What is the definition of an average person? What figures do you have to show ,migrants use the NHS less. Come up with some real arguments and stop your pathetic, childish charade. I may be a Brexiter, but I'm not as shallow minded as you.I'm not racist, I am not dumb and I am certainly not without knowledge of the wider issues regarding the EU split.

*Younger people use the NHS less than older people. *EU Migrants tend to be younger than the average Brit. Hence, EU migrants use the NHS less.**

Well, most racists don't think they are racist. The reality is that you blame migrants for everything when it has been shown that Migration has very little to do with house prices. IE House prices are going up in areas with little migration.

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/jan/25/is-immigration-causing-the-uk-housing-crisis *

"In a 2014 Economic Journal article, Immigration and house prices in the UK, wrote that an increase of immigrants equal to 1% of the initial local population leads to a 1.7% reduction in house prices, based on immigration data from the Labour Force Survey."
Yeh well, no one is stating that everyone with a degree voted to stay.*

It is simply a fact that better educated people tended to vote for stay. *

Having a degree doesn't make you better educated. If i get a degree in a degree mill in Tanzania, It doesn't suddenly mean I am any more educated.
Original post by James David
Having a degree doesn't make you better educated. If i get a degree in a degree mill in Tanzania, It doesn't suddenly mean I am any more educated.

Yeh, well, according to the statistics, areas with higher incomes also voted to Remain.

So....my guess is that their degrees don't come from Tanzania
Higher incomes doesn't necessarily mean more educated. I am more educated than Lord Alan Sugar, but he makes millions more a year than I do. A tradesperson like a Mechanic or a Plumber can earn much more than an educated office worker or a Civil Servant. Not all graduates go into high income jobs like medicine and accountancy you know. Some people with degrees work at Mcdonalds.
(edited 7 years ago)
Higher incomes doesn't necessarily mean more educated. I am more educated than Lord Alan Sugar, but he makes millions more a year than I do. A tradesperson like a Mechanic or a Plumber can earn much more than an educated office worker or a Civil Servant. Not all graduates go into high income jobs like medicine and accountancy you know. Some people with degrees work at Mcdonalds.

Actually, higher incomes are more likely to vote remain. Better educated people are likely to vote remain. Even if you have access to a passport, you are more likely to vote remain.*

http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2016/06/24/brexit-demographic-divide-eu-referendum-results/*
Some people with degrees work at Mcdonalds.

Probably people from Poland
Original post by richpanda
You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

Generally I would not pair coffee with artisan bread
Actually, higher incomes are more likely to vote remain. Better educated people are likely to vote remain. Even if you have access to a passport, you are more likely to vote remain.*

http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2016/06/24/brexit-demographic-divide-eu-referendum-results/*

Well 52% of the UK voted to leave and that 52% includes people from all ages, backgrounds and incomes. Over 1 million more people want to leave the EU than those who want to stay.
Well 52% of the UK voted to leave and that 52% includes people from all ages, backgrounds and incomes. Over 1 million more people want to leave the EU than those who want to stay.

Ok. How does that change that people that voted remain are better educated and paid?
Probably people from Poland

Yes, some people with degrees who work at Mcdonalds will be from Poland, but they are also people from other countries and much to your surprise people who were born in the UK, oooo
Yes, some people with degrees who work at Mcdonalds will be from Poland, but they are also people from other countries and much to your surprise people who were born in the UK, oooo

Actually, Polish people are more likely to have degrees than UK born. Hence, why I wrote "probably"
It's really difficult to measure intelligence. The main arguments for leave or remain revolve around the labour market, healthcare and education. Both leave and remain voters can put forwards convincing ideas for either. People like to blame others when things aren't going well for them e.g. I can't get a job because another person can fill the position from another EU country. I think this type of thinking is flawed because many of the positions in the healthcare sector, private sector and education sector would be unfilled with a loss of quality of service. I believe people are trying to find a solution to economic problems through BREXIT when in fact we need good leaders and managers to resolve issues, find solutions and make things run smoothly.Take the NHS for example. There is just so much wastage and bad decision making with a lot of doctors providing inadequate healthcare information. One simple improvement could be automated text messaging to a patient database.
Yeh, well, according to the statistics, areas with higher incomes also voted to Remain.

So....my guess is that their degrees don't come from Tanzania

thats fine, because its just a guess.Guesses are not too accurate so that's ok, because anyone can guess anything.

Quick Reply