The Student Room Group

Racism in University of Leeds - Brexit starts to be felt in Universities' decisions?

Fee Scholarship and Santander Scholarship were aimed at UK and EU applicants, however, only British students were awarded these scholarships (with exception to one Greek Student and one Russian Student (UK? EU?) as seen at: http://scholarships.leeds.ac.uk/ShowAwardsNew.aspx?type=UK/EUBREXIT Effects and racism towards EU students starting to appear in British Universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. I phoned up the university last Friday to ensure this was the case. It's nice to see them fall in line with my expectations.
Original post by Zadkiel
Fee Scholarship and Santander Scholarship were aimed at UK and EU applicants, however, only British students were awarded these scholarships (with exception to one Greek Student and one Russian Student (UK? EU?) as seen at: http://scholarships.leeds.ac.uk/ShowAwardsNew.aspx?type=UK/EUBREXIT Effects and racism towards EU students starting to appear in British Universities?

It isn't racism if they are basing it on which country you are from, not the colour of your skin :facepalm:
"I don't want any workers from Nigeria applying to a Job at my company," *

You don't think that is racist?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism

*If I said I don't want any workers from Nigeria applying to a Job, you don't think that would racist?*

No, because surprise, surprise, there is more than one ethnic group in Nigeria
Original post by Zadkiel

So how is it racist again?
JUst flicking through those results there are three Italians receiving awards as well.
hahahahahahahah.

Good thing you are not a lawyer.

Just imagine that defense in Court.*

My client isn't racist because there is clearly more than one ethnic group in Africa*

I don't think you understand what racism actually is, let me help you

From the Oxford dictionary

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:a programme to combat racism
Yeh, sure.*

I am sure you have loads of excuses when you are denying Africans and etc .
Yeh, sure.*

I am sure you have loads of excuses when you are denying Africans and etc .

There are plenty of people here I'm willing to entertain as trolls but you are not one of them, sorry :frown:

Fyi, my last boyfriend was from Zimbabwe :tongue:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
JUst flicking through those results there are three Italians receiving awards as well.

Italy, Romania and Malta are clearly not European enough to meet the OP's demands.
and mine was from England? So what?

If it isn't racist, then you could use that defense in court.

Except you cannot because it is obviously racist. *
and mine was from England? So what?

If it isn't racist, then you could use that defense in court.

Except you cannot because it is obviously racist. *

This isn't a discussion about law though, this is a discussion about politics and current events. The sub forum it's posted in should give you a clue about that :smile:

Most dictionaries define 'racism' as an antagonistic attitude torwards a different racial group based on race, not which country they are from. Ignoring the fact that the OP is blatantly wrong, most natives of european countries are white and most university staff are white. Therefore there is no racism going on here even from a purely hypothetical point of view.
Lol. A discussion about Politics and current events that does not include law....

We are talking about a specific scholarship scheme that would be subject to discrimination law and we can't magically talk about law.

It isn't my issue if it doesn't fit into your racist narrative.*

I'm bored already

2/10 :troll:
Yeh, you said that before and you kept on replying. *
Original post by Zadkiel

Do you know how many people applied from the EU? No. It is perfectly possible that all those who applied from the EU got their scholarship. Alternatively, and perhaps more likely, these scholarships were awarded on the basis of a little thing called merit. Stop being an idiot and find some real inequality and discrimination to go on about if you must.
Reply 16
So basically the op wants people given things because of where they are born
Original post by AngryRedhead
There are plenty of people here I'm willing to entertain as trolls but you are not one of them, sorry :frown:

Fyi, my last boyfriend was from Zimbabwe :tongue:

Again with the common 'I'm not being racist because my ______ is _______' ugh, didn't know racism didn't apply due to mere association with people of said race.
Think the point he's making is just because it technically isn't racist that doesn't mean it isn't as bad as racism.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Think the point he's making is just because it technically isn't racist that doesn't mean it isn't as bad as racism.

I never denied that, but he didn't say that, did he?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending