The Student Room Group

"The jump"

Basically, I'm wondering how much work there is for each a-level subject. As in, how much homework are you given and how many hours of lessons you have for each subject per week. Also how do they compare to GCSE? Legit afraid I'm going to fail.
Thank youu
Reply 1
We had 4 hours of lesson time per subject per week. Homework tends not to be as linear as you get lower down the system, and you need to dedicate your own time to research the stuff you learn in lessons :yep:

The main thing is, you've only got 3 or 4 subjects, and hopefully ones you enjoy. So dedicating time to each one should be possible.
Original post by anna2484
Basically, I'm wondering how much work there is for each a-level subject. As in, how much homework are you given and how many hours of lessons you have for each subject per week. Also how do they compare to GCSE? Legit afraid I'm going to fail.
Thank youu

I've just finished by AS year (Year 12) and my subjects were English, History, Economics and Geography. I was given more homework for each of these subjects (1.5-2 hours pe week per subject) but as I was taking far fewer subjects, I found I had an equal amount of time doing homework in total as I did at GCSE. We had 2.5 hours of lesson time for each subject per week.

Have confidence in yourself, work hard and trust me, you won't fail. You'll be absolutely fine. :smile:

Remember that there are tens of thousands of students in the same boat as you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
It's all about time management at alevel - if you don't bother revising for a subject whatsoever then you're really setting yourself up to fail - however if you can put the time in ( few hours each day for each subject ) then you're gonna get good grades so stop panicking .
Reply 4
Original post by Alexion
We had 4 hours of lesson time per subject per week. Homework tends not to be as linear as you get lower down the system, and you need to dedicate your own time to research the stuff you learn in lessons :yep:

The main thing is, you've only got 3 or 4 subjects, and hopefully ones you enjoy. So dedicating time to each one should be possible.

I'm actually pretty excited to start mine cause I honestly do love the subjects :smile: Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Quamquam123
I've just finished by AS year (Year 12) and my subjects were English, History, Economics and Geography. I was given more homework for each of these subjects (1.5-2 hours pe week per subject) but as I was taking far fewer subjects, I found I had an equal amount of time doing homework in total as I did at GCSE. We had 2.5 hours of lesson time for each subject per week.

Have confidence in yourself, work hard and trust me, you won't fail. You'll be absolutely fine. :smile:

Remember that there are tens of thousands of students in the same boat as you.

Yeah I'm doing English next year! That sounds a lot less terrifying than some people are making it out to be. Thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by fefssdf
It's all about time management at alevel - if you don't bother revising for a subject whatsoever then you're really setting yourself up to fail - however if you can put the time in ( few hours each day for each subject ) then you're gonna get good grades so stop panicking .

okay i'm gonna do my best to improve at that, cause while I always revise I end up doing it best under stress (eg. a week before the exam) which I don't think is going to fly next year :biggrin: thanks for the advice.
Reply 7
Original post by anna2484
okay i'm gonna do my best to improve at that, cause while I always revise I end up doing it best under stress (eg. a week before the exam) which I don't think is going to fly next year :biggrin: thanks for the advice.

I started doing revision for the A2 exams 4 months before the exams .
Reply 8
It's probably fair to say I didn't work any more than the minimum for GCSEs, that was fine then. At A Level however it was impossible to get by without working extra. The jump is quite a lot per subject, but as you do far fewer subjects, it all balances out. I enjoyed my A Level years more than I did my GCSE years ^^ Don't be thinking about the jump so much, just work when the time comes and you'll be absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest