The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Popcorns
Don't be so hard on yourself you have a condition that means that you have some limitations/difficulties but the way you talk on here is always fine so you're clearly able in many ways.

And that's the thing having mental health problems has devastating effects on people's lives and it's really sad to see when those things do happen but count yourself lucky that you have what you have don't worry :hugs:

I feel like you might be quite good as an advisor on the telephone or something like that where you can put your skills you practice on here to good use but as a paid job instead...

Hiya Popcorn,

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually doing a course in nursing with an aim of either working with offenders or in mental health but really I don't think that will ever happen.

Saw my academic adviser today and the first thing she asked after I explained that i had failed that class was "are you sure you want to continue with this course?". She's right to ask because I'm doing so ****. I don't know whether to drop out entirely I feel like im too stupid for this course. I've wasted so much money on it though so it would be bad to drop out however I'd need to spend a lot more if I do keep trying and there's no guarantee that I would pass.

I've tried to talk to my spouse about it but it's pointless she won't entertain the idea that I'm just too thick. My mental health certainly makes things even more difficult but I hate using that as an excuse. John Nash managed so why the **** can't I?

Sorry to offload on you like this :colondollar:

How're things going with you? Is the therapy helping?
Original post by lettherebedrums
thanks what does that mean?

They're an incredible bunch of people who have gone through extra training to get in contact with anyone who posts anything relating to present self-harm or suicide thoughts :smile:
Counselling was a bit rubbish :s-smilie: however, I do think my mind is a bit clearer. Getting some control over my life, and it feels good
SH:

Spoiler

ED:

Spoiler

This last week has been challenging. My uncle is seriously ill in hospital and we don't know if the situations going to improve or not.

It's also been my first week without any support. I'm really struggling at the moment, i have no way of accessing any support now and I seriously can't remember the last time everything was as bad as I'm feeling.

I feel pushed out, slowly but surly I'm being pushed away from those that i care about, it's like nothing matters anymore. It's like no one gives a damn anymore.

I really don't know what to do. I can't see my doctors as there's like around a week wait to see a doctor. I can't wait that long, i'll chicken out. Work are pushing me too hard as well, it's like they can't see how much I'm drowning under the pressure of everything at the moment.

I don't know if anyone will reply to this, this thread doesn't really seem like the source of support it was a few months ago for me. It's all changed and it's probably just me because who the **** wants to reply to me when all i do is ****ing moan all the time. I know i shouldn't complain, people have it worse than me. I just feel pretty much useless and ignored by everyone.

:hide:
Hey everyone :smile:

I just thought it'd be a good idea to post a reminder of the guidelines on self-harm and suicide content again since there's a few newbies around - this is awesome to see by the way!

'Please note that our current policy is that any discussion of suicide or self-harm is not permitted, whether that's writing about contemplating it, or discussing methods. We also cannot allow code words to get around the suicide/self-harm discussion ban. It is important to note that this includes anything written in spoiler tags. Please also remember that posts that do not directly mention self harm or suicide, but imply or hint about it, may also be triggering for users.'

The reasons for this can be found in the OP of this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4040673&p=64330925#post64330925

Hope you're all looking after yourselves as best you can!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
Hey everyone :smile:

I just thought it'd be a good idea to post a reminder of the guidelines on self-harm and suicide content again since there's a few newbies around - which is awesome to see!

'Please note that our current policy is that any discussion of suicide or self-harm is not permitted, whether that's writing about contemplating it, or discussing methods. We also cannot allow code words to get around the suicide/self-harm discussion ban. It is important to note that this includes anything written in spoiler tags. Please also remember that posts that do not directly mention self harm or suicide, but imply or hint about it, may also be triggering for users.'

The reasons for this can be found in the OP of this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4040673&p=64330925#post64330925

Hope you're all looking after yourselves as best you can!

I haven't done anything wrong have I? :cry2:
Original post by Midnightmemories
I haven't done anything wrong have I? :cry2:

Not at all :smile: All the stuff you post is above board :h:

Really sorry to hear about your uncle too by the way :console:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
Not at all :smile: All the stuff you post is above board :h:

Really sorry to hear about uncle too by the way :console:

Good to hear. Wouldn't want to **** anymore things up.

He's getting better, apparently? We're not out of the woods and I'm so worried about everything. Somehow I still passed my driving test with only four minors on day one of the situation. My parents didn't believe that I was actually going to do it apparently. They thought I was going to bottle it. (Tbh I was close.) I had told my driving instructor about the situation so she was aware of it so she knew not to be too hard on me if I failed. (She was so pleased that I passed though!)
I've not been around here as much as I'd have liked to have been recently.
Explanation will be written in the morning (I've been struggling to say the least)
I shall sleep now
Night all!
Original post by Anxious Anon

:hugs:
Original post by Midnightmemories
This last week has been challenging. My uncle is seriously ill in hospital and we don't know if the situations going to improve or not.

It's also been my first week without any support. I'm really struggling at the moment, i have no way of accessing any support now and I seriously can't remember the last time everything was as bad as I'm feeling.

I feel pushed out, slowly but surly I'm being pushed away from those that i care about, it's like nothing matters anymore. It's like no one gives a damn anymore.

I really don't know what to do. I can't see my doctors as there's like around a week wait to see a doctor. I can't wait that long, i'll chicken out. Work are pushing me too hard as well, it's like they can't see how much I'm drowning under the pressure of everything at the moment.

I don't know if anyone will reply to this, this thread doesn't really seem like the source of support it was a few months ago for me. It's all changed and it's probably just me because who the **** wants to reply to me when all i do is ****ing moan all the time. I know i shouldn't complain, people have it worse than me. I just feel pretty much useless and ignored by everyone.

:hide:

Only just woke up so brains not working but you can ask for an emergancy appointment which will be the same day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's this guy who PMd me :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:yay:
Original post by Sabertooth
Hiya Popcorn,

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually doing a course in nursing with an aim of either working with offenders or in mental health but really I don't think that will ever happen.

Saw my academic adviser today and the first thing she asked after I explained that i had failed that class was "are you sure you want to continue with this course?". She's right to ask because I'm doing so ****. I don't know whether to drop out entirely I feel like im too stupid for this course. I've wasted so much money on it though so it would be bad to drop out however I'd need to spend a lot more if I do keep trying and there's no guarantee that I would pass.

I've tried to talk to my spouse about it but it's pointless she won't entertain the idea that I'm just too thick. My mental health certainly makes things even more difficult but I hate using that as an excuse. John Nash managed so why the **** can't I?

Sorry to offload on you like this :colondollar:

How're things going with you? Is the therapy helping?
I understand where you're coming from but rather than presuming your difficulties are down to you being 'too thick' it's most likely to be all the medications you have to take and the fact of your condition impairing your abilities. I could be wrong but I think before starting this course you hadn't been in academia for a long time? It can be really difficult to get back into the swing of things especially if you're thrown in at the deep end - degree (no foundation course or anything). But having said that, if it's too much at this point then it's too much... You'll only make yourself feel worse if you carry on and keep 'failing' for whatever reason. I really feel like you would benefit from more practical work/learning where you can see the positive outcomes i.e. Start out with some volunteering in the area that interests you (mental health I'd presume), then there's no compulsory obligation and no money wasted yet you're putting a skill you know you already have to good use :smile: what'd you reckon?

I'm okay always struggle a bit over summer and stopped cbt but trying to carry on employing the stuff he taught me, difficult though and physically feel rubbish today...
(edited 7 years ago)
Very quiet in here today! :smile: :eek:
Right this was later than anticipated but I'm here!!

I had two therapy appointments today, one straight after the other (30 mins inbetween them). I'm very happy with the first one! It was with my new psychotherapist who is a wizard at treating OCD! He's already helped more than my previous two therapists did put together!!
I genuinely think I'm gonna be cured by him and in a short timeframe too! Magnificent! Couldn't be happier with him!

Then I had a group appointment with the NHS (in one of my local Tesco's, of all places) and that wasn't really very useful. I knew everything that was said in it (that was the 4th time I'd heard it all). But I have 3 more to go to before the NHS will let me see someone 1 to 1. It's annoying but that's what I've got to do. Not impressed. Although there was a cute girl there too, around my age. I may speak to her at some point :smile: She seems quiet like me but very friendly too!

My OCD has been awful recently! It's been constant and I've not had a break from it at all! It's just so frustrating and upsetting!
Even today hasn't been particularly good but I'm ok at the moment (for the first time in a while!). I'm relaxed and happy about life, which is good!

Thanks for reading this, if anyone does!

Hope you're all well! :smile:
horrific realistic nightmares. i miss decent sleep
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm going to get my eyes tested and get new glasses tomorrow for the first time in a few years. Terrified of taking a panic in the waiting room or during the examination :frown:

Latest