The Student Room Group

Do you look down on 30+ year olds who work in retail?

Scroll to see replies

Why would you? People will hate on those that don't work, but then also hate on those that work retail. Somebody has to do it. Fair play to them.
That sort of job is really only for students, immigrants or part timers. Doing it for more than a year....well may aswell give up and hit the roads. Doing min wage 9-5 really gains you absolutely nothing you piss away 40 hours a week and lose most of it in tax, you dont meet interesting people only 3rd worlders/chavs and dullards and certainly its not good for meeting men/women.
Reply 142
I earned £15 per hour plus overtime for a short while. Whilst the security (twice annual bonuses, unlimited overtime pay, and an epic pension) was comforting, I was miserable. I've recently secured a part-time job that pays considerably less, and I'm volunteering as well. A person's income doesn't determine their worth; I'm far happier when I'm not frazzled by stress and high expectations. People who look down on those who do seemingly 'unskilled' jobs can, quite frankly, go **** themselves.

As an aside: People who do work are no better than people who don't. :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well, odds are they are uneducated.

This is not true
Original post by cherryred90s
This is not true

Yes it is.
Yes it is.

Are you aware that many uni grads work in places like tesco whilst gaining experience to strengthen applications?
Are you also aware that many university students work in Tesco to help fund costs?
Original post by cherryred90s
Are you aware that many uni grads work in places like tesco whilst gaining experience to strengthen applications?
Are you also aware that many university students work in Tesco to help fund costs?

How many of them are older than 30?
How many of them are older than 30?

I don't know. It's not as if you you used any stats to backup your assumption. How would you even know if they're educated or not? Do you stop to ask them?
Reply 148
Not really.. some people arent lucky in life and manz need to work..
Some people on here really need some respect. Why would you look down on someone that is working to earn a living?
Not at all. Who am I to judge someone for working an honest job? I'm not going to judge someone when i don't know a single thing about them or their circumstances or anything. Maybe they need that job for a reason. Maybe it's a 2nd job. Maybe they just enjoy doing that job. Who cares? They're working and they're getting a wage. There's nothing wrong there.
No, I respect them because they have to be nice to crappy customers who cannot be bothered to put items such as shower gel back on the shelf where it belongs and not to dump it into, e.g. frozen section :facepalm:
Not usually as I am below average height
Original post by Blue_Mason
I look down on 30 plus year olds on minimum wage.
An adult cannot survive on a minimum wage

An adult cannot survive on minimum wage, is that surely not a poor reflection of our government as opposed to the individual? A large proportion of the adult work force earn minimum wage, they are still vital jobs for our country. Why punish them with a wage they cannot survive on...

When I worked past time in Tesco a lot of the people were 30+ and were decent people.
Original post by Twinpeaks
An adult cannot survive on minimum wage, is that surely not a poor reflection of our government as opposed to the individual? A large proportion of the adult work force earn minimum wage, they are still vital jobs for our country. Why punish them with a wage they cannot survive on...

When I worked past time in Tesco a lot of the people were 30+ and were decent people.

It's very easy to survive on minimum wage (provided you have near enough full time hours) outside of London.

Obviously one wants promotion and a higher wage though.
Reply 155
Original post by Rakas21
It's very easy to survive on minimum wage (provided you have near enough full time hours) outside of London.

Obviously one wants promotion and a higher wage though.

I disagree, whilst many seek higher wage and the more money the better; many will have no interest in promotion, with promotion comes stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
I do not look down on them, I just wonder what went wrong.
Original post by AsapRocky
I disagree, whilst many seek higher wage and the more money the better; many will have no interest in promotion, with promotion comes stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely, it comes down to what someone wants from their life and job. A relative of mine used to have a skilled job, and although he has been offered promotions in the retail job he currently has he turns them down because of the stress. Money and status isn't all that matters though many people wouldn't believe it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marco14196
No I look down on 18+ year olds who study a liberal arts degree, think that real work is beneath them and think they'll be high rolling millionaires for some reason. Someone working in retail is probably more financially solvent as well. Being £40K plus in the gutter with a liberal arts degree is awful

Really....
Reply 159
Original post by AsapRocky
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its unfair to judge without knowing their situation. Not everyone is cut out for academics. I worked part-time in retail whilst studying, on minimum wage, and it was barely enough to pay the bills. Low pay, long hours, basically everyone was replaceable. However, some of the people I worked with were very hard-working, and just wanted to support themselves, and their family. I don't really care as long as their not leeching off taxpayer's money. On a positive note, their contributing to society which is a lot better than being on the dole.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending