The Student Room Group

Stop the changes to student loans! Sign the petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131167 Petition available through this link, please sign it!

Scroll to see replies

Done!
Please Mr Cameron, please ministers, don't change things. Please. I beg - clicking on a survey does nothing and it's click therapy for people who want to feel they're doing something.
Reply 3
Where's the petition to support this change? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Madeline_H95
Please Mr Cameron, please ministers, don't change things. Please. I beg - clicking on a survey does nothing and it's click therapy for people who want to feel they're doing something.

wtf?
If you want real change you need real action. I suggest rioting, start with Downing Street and then The Student Loans Offices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is this petition even being signed.

Why the hell should high earning graduates have to pick up the costs for their peers, everyone has a choice to take out this loan and if you take it out you should pay it back.

"two million graduates will end up paying £306 more each year "

Thats the price of a phone contract a year, pay it or dont go to university. Simple as that.
Reply 7
I don't understand students now. You all signed up to a student loan contract under the condition that the salary under which you pay back will rise by inflation. So the government have broken their promise to you and have now retrospectively changed those rules, so there is no rise.in threshold. No other loan company could retrospectively change the contractual loan conditions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36420790

Each and every one of you will now pay more back then you were told. Not just the low earners - all of you earning above the diminishing threshold.

So, by 2020-21, 2 million of you will pay back £306 more each year as a result of this change. And that amount will just rise more and more, year after year, through the full 30 years of your loan.

And how many of you have signed the petition objecting to this unfairness? 125,000. 1 out of 16 of you. Surely it is worth the other 15 out of 16 just giving it a click?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131167
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm sorry, but I won't be signing this petition - I am just grateful that the loan made it possible for me to go to university in the first place. I have absolutely no problem with starting to make repayments if I earn over £21000. That's only right and proper to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've signed it on principal even though it's pointless.

The Tory's classist views on education are quite clear and this'll just get thrown in the bin.
Original post by DiddyDec
If you want real change you need real action. I suggest rioting, start with Downing Street and then The Student Loans Offices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like this?
Original post by JamesN88
Like this?

That sort of thing.
Will do :smile: very good idea to start this petition!
Reply 13
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Will do :smile: very good idea to start this petition!

Excellent thanks. :smile:

So if lots of students think it is OK for the government to go back on this, what about other things? Reduce the threshold to £10k? down to 0? Increase the interest rate? Increase the period of the loan from 30 years to 40, 50, 60? Until you die? Increase the rate at which you pay back from 9% per year to 10, 11, 12, 15, 20%? There are plenty of ways they can get more money out of you - if you don't object to this, they will almost certainly think you won't object to other incremental changes.

Students have a long history of protesting about injustice. Vietnam, apartheid, civil rights, the list goes on. And now the threshold for injustice seems to have disappeared altogether - when they are the target of the unfairness, they just take it. Doesn't sound like they are much of a force for fighting against injustice for others, when they can't even fight for themselves.
Reply 14
Original post by Masethetics
Why is this petition even being signed.

Why the hell should high earning graduates have to pick up the costs for their peers, everyone has a choice to take out this loan and if you take it out you should pay it back.

"two million graduates will end up paying £306 more each year "

Thats the price of a phone contract a year, pay it or dont go to university. Simple as that.

This
Original post by bb193

Students have a long history of protesting about injustice. Vietnam, apartheid, civil rights, the list goes on.

Are you comparing student loans to the above?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by M14B
This

You do understand that that is just at 2020/21 - four years from now? and that if the threshold is frozen, that figure will just increase year after year, until you finish paying it back in 30 years time (or whatever time period the government have decided to change it to)?

Are you comparing student loans to the above?

Yes and no. Obviously they are much bigger, global issues. But they also have a disconnect, because they impact on other people, in other countries, not directly connected to students - so they potentially could be ignored. There are many such unfairnesses that still need fighting for - but if students can't even be bothered to click one button when the unfairness directly impacts on them, it seems pretty unlikely that they will act to support others not connected to them. It is just a bit sad.
Parliament are now debating this on the 18th July.
Original post by JamesN88
Parliament are now debating this on the 18th July.

And nothing will get changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinklebot
And nothing will get changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Quick Reply

Latest