The Student Room Group

Racism in University of Leeds - Brexit starts to be felt in Universities' decisions?

Scroll to see replies

Well yeah he didn't say that but there's no need to go hampering on about technicalities when the point is there's discrimination, I mean you're not going to call it "nationalist" instead are you.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Well yeah he didn't say that but there's no need to go hampering on about technicalities when the point is there's discrimination, I mean you're not going to call it "nationalist" instead are you.

Lol.*
Original post by joecphillips
So basically the op wants people given things because of where they are born

Yeah, because apparently that's not racist :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Original post by Zadkiel
Fee Scholarship and Santander Scholarship were aimed at UK and EU applicants, however, only British students were awarded these scholarships (with exception to one Greek Student and one Russian Student (UK? EU?) as seen at: http://scholarships.leeds.ac.uk/ShowAwardsNew.aspx?type=UK/EUBREXIT Effects and racism towards EU students starting to appear in British Universities?

No it's xenophobia.
Original post by Terry Tibbs

It still is as bad as racism, I'm not denying that, but calling it racism is inaccurate. You cannot be racist against your own race.

I, of course, completely agree with the point he was trying to make, discriminating against someone because of the country they come from is not good. But the OP is wrong in any case anyway because last time I checked Greek's and Italian's were considered european because Italy and Greece are both european countries. So no real discrimination then?
Original post by tcameron
Again with the common 'I'm not being racist because my ______ is _______' ugh, didn't know racism didn't apply due to mere association with people of said race.

Who are they being racist against? Other whites? Racism is discrimination against those of different races
British students are given priority in British Universities.

Gee, who would have thought

What exactly is wrong with that?

If I went to a uni in Germany, I wouldn't expect to be pandered to.
half of them are non british.... whats the problem.
Why wouldn't you consider EU students getting lower tuition and more scholarship opportunities compared to people from other parts of the world racist? That would be a better argument...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
Yeh, sure.*

I am sure you have loads of excuses when you are denying Africans and etc .

You are one moody left winger
Original post by jeremy1988
Why wouldn't you consider EU students getting lower tuition and more scholarship opportunities compared to people from other parts of the world racist? That would be a better argument...

Indeed it would!

The EU is the most racist institution of them all...

>_>
Reply 31
Nothing that concerns me, to be honest.

However, given the circumstances, a lot of people e-mailed me complained about this so it is my duty to proceed with getting a clarification from the University regarding this subject.

As a member of a task force put together by a big media corporation to identify abuses to individuals from EU in the post-brexit scenario, being this physical or discriminatory actions in public institutions, it is my duty to investigate this further.

It is known that, due to the outcome of Brexit, a lot of EU individuals living in UK are being assaulted by Brits. This is a problem that embassies are already aware of and starting diplomatic procedures.

I didn't apply for any scholarship, so it is not my direct complaint. I am only doing my work. You can discuss :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zadkiel
Fee Scholarship and Santander Scholarship were aimed at UK and EU applicants, however, only British students were awarded these scholarships (with exception to one Greek Student and one Russian Student (UK? EU?) as seen at: http://scholarships.leeds.ac.uk/ShowAwardsNew.aspx?type=UK/EUBREXIT Effects and racism towards EU students starting to appear in British Universities?

You can't call rascism every time something doesn't go your way.
Reply 33
Original post by Zadkiel
Nothing that concerns me, to be honest.

However, given the circumstances, a lot of people e-mailed me complained about this so it is my duty to proceed with getting a clarification from the University regarding this subject.

As a member of a task force put together by a big media corporation to identify abuses to individuals from EU in the post-brexit scenario, being this physical or discriminatory actions in public institutions, it is my duty to investigate this further.

It is known that, due to the outcome of Brexit, a lot of EU individuals living in UK are being assaulted by Brits. This is a problem that embassies are already aware of and starting diplomatic procedures.

I didn't apply for any scholarship, so it is not my direct complaint. I am only doing my work. You can discuss :smile:

Do you think people should be given advantages over others just because of where they were born? personally I prefer to reward effort.
Reply 34
The problem that was posed to me is that these 2 scholarships (Fee / Santander) were aimed at both UK and EU applicants.

If the University intended to award only British applicants they should have clearly stated that.

Also, one award went to a Russian national, the question is: Do you think Brexit starts to influence Universities' decisions?
Original post by welshiee
Italy, Romania and Malta are clearly not European enough to meet the OP's demands.

They are all dangerous countries full of hostiles.

Bloody Italians, bringing their fine pasta dishes, top quality cheeses and tasty sauces over here, when we could rely on honest, sturdy British pasta.
Some of you need to learn the difference between racism and xenophobia; it's embarrassing seeing people think that you can be ''racist'' to europeans as, surprise surprise, they are also caucasian just like brits.

I see no racism/xenophobia here, just jumping to conclusions.
Original post by tcameron
Again with the common 'I'm not being racist because my ______ is _______' ugh, didn't know racism didn't apply due to mere association with people of said race.

That's a really good point.
What she may have been saying is that if you have one friend who is......then you can't be called rascist.
Does the OP know that working class, white Britons are the most underrepresented demographic at university?
Original post by Inexorably
Some of you need to learn the difference between racism and xenophobia; it's embarrassing seeing people think that you can be ''racist'' to europeans as, surprise surprise, they are also caucasian just like brits.

I see no racism/xenophobia here, just jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps the black Parisians and Lomdoners feel they are European also.

Quick Reply

Latest