The Student Room Group

Gap year no friends

Im on a gap year next year and all of my friends are going university and living there which means I will have no friends. I do have a job but its mostly full of people way older than me. I dont want to make friends through some app because I think it will be weird to be honest and it will feel forced. And I dont want to join a club of sports because im not really into sports. What do I do? I plan to mostly work for all my gap year.
Reply 1
Make friends on your gap year. Go out, go wild and have fun.
Reply 2
Original post by ThunderStormzy
Im on a gap year next year and all of my friends are going university and living there which means I will have no friends. I do have a job but its mostly full of people way older than me. I dont want to make friends through some app because I think it will be weird to be honest and it will feel forced. And I dont want to join a club of sports because im not really into sports. What do I do? I plan to mostly work for all my gap year.

Get a job in a call centre. All fun and games when you go out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im in the same situation as you as I'm taking a gap year. What you could do is go to uni with one of your friends for freshers week and make friends that way.....be sure you can get in though! You could go to your local uni where one of your friends go, and go out with them for a day or so, I'm sure they will let you! Perhaps you can make friends when you work, like start talking to people, theres bound to be someone your age. Don't also forget your friends that are not going uni too! Best of luck!
I am on a gap year right now and working full time...

Firstly, you need to make time to meet your old mates

Secondly, even if the people you work with are mostly older, some will be younger but regardless you will get on with people based on how they are not their age, I'm sure you'll make 'friends' there

Finally, the year will fly by and before you know it you'll be getting ready for university (where you can make new friends)
Reply 5
Original post by ThunderStormzy

if you have the money then you could go on some form of gap year trip to meet other people you age... other than that it is only a year without friends which should fly by
What sort of things interests you? You should join clubs related to those interests. :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
if you have the money then you could go on some form of gap year trip to meet other people you age... other than that it is only a year without friends which should fly by

Yeah, for example if you want to do medicine, you can do gap medics!
Something similar happened to me - I was in a very tight-knit friendship group who all went to university, and I had nothing to fall back on. In my year, I haven't made friends with the people I work with (in that, I don't see or speak to them after work), although I am friendly enough with most of my colleagues so it gives me companionship when I'm there.

I didn't do extensive levels of travelling on my gap year, although I have gone on various trips throughout the year. Even 3-4 days in a hostel can get you meeting new people and a little bit of companionship for those days, even if you don't really connect with them once you go home.

It's worth saying though that even when my friends are home, I don't really go out and see them much - I'm happy to just speak to them digitally most of the time. Because of this, I haven't really minded the fact my friends are no longer in town - just having a bit of a laugh at work gets me through the day.
I am in the same situation except I did not intentionally chose my gap year. I started at local community college and I decided to take three months away from school. But than when I finally wanted to return it was too late and I had missed so much in class. So the professor told me that I have to return in september and start the whole course over that I didn't finished last year. And all my friends are in college or doing their own thing and I find it quite hard for me to make friends due the fact that I can't really leave the house because I live with my parents. And I have no clue what I should do.

Quick Reply

Latest