The Student Room Group

Going to uni and being in a relationship

Anyone going to this September and is currently in a relationship??? Like does your partner worry about it?
A lot of people seem to worry about this.

The way I see it, it's another obstacle to overcome with your partner. If it's meant to be, then you'll remain committed and work through the challenges.

Some people use uni as an opportunity to explore their sexuality etc, so maybe if you're not wanting to be tied down then it's best to part ways, but if you love your partner truly then I say there's no reason to worry about it and whatever happens, happens.
Original post by hearthstone
Anyone going to this September and is currently in a relationship??? Like does your partner worry about it?

I went to uni last september in a relationship of 3 years. We are still together now 1 year on, yes it was tough and new challenges arose but if your committed to it and care for one another you can make it work.

If you have any concerns feel free to PM me.
Sometimes it works out but a lot of the time it Dosent. Some people I know we're so close and whipped in college and then 3 weeks into uni had split up. Enjoy the summer before you go is my top advice because people change and whilst she might be scared of you changing, it could easily be that she is the one to change. Just don't attach yourself too much and you will be fine. Lots of nice girls at uni anyway
Reply 4
Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated :smile: x
I think it totally depends on what kind of person you're with and what the relationship is like.

For example, my boyfriend doesn't make much effort to travel 6 miles to see me and is s*** at texting back and is also really worried about going to uni and has commitment issues because of it! We're going to different unis

As you can see, I can tell that this won't work out at uni, he can be a good friend to me at times but won't want to put the effort in at uni, he's just not committed enough.

If he would show more commitment, I would be fine about going to uni and staying in a relationship, but he's done things to make me question his trust in the past and I doubt he can change that much in 2 months!

If you're in a strong and healthy relationship then I would say it's fine being in a relationship and going to uni. If you're in a more casual (see casual as s***) relationship like mine then I would say no.

I think I'm a quite bad example lol
Reply 6
Original post by neal95
Sometimes it works out but a lot of the time it Dosent. Some people I know we're so close and whipped in college and then 3 weeks into uni had split up. Enjoy the summer before you go is my top advice because people change and whilst she might be scared of you changing, it could easily be that she is the one to change. Just don't attach yourself too much and you will be fine. Lots of nice girls at uni anyway

I am a girl XD I am pretty attached now been together a year!
It's not university itself which is a challenge, it's just the fact that an incredibly high proportion of relationships when you're aged 18 aren't going to last. There's no need to get tied down so young really.*
Reply 8
Original post by rleah1998
I think it totally depends on what kind of person you're with and what the relationship is like.

For example, my boyfriend doesn't make much effort to travel 6 miles to see me and is s*** at texting back and is also really worried about going to uni and has commitment issues because of it! We're going to different unis

As you can see, I can tell that this won't work out at uni, he can be a good friend to me at times but won't want to put the effort in at uni, he's just not committed enough.

If he would show more commitment, I would be fine about going to uni and staying in a relationship, but he's done things to make me question his trust in the past and I doubt he can change that much in 2 months!

If you're in a strong and healthy relationship then I would say it's fine being in a relationship and going to uni. If you're in a more casual (see casual as s***) relationship like mine then I would say no.

I think I'm a quite bad example lol

I am sorrry to hear that! I hope things work out if not you will find someone better and will treat you how you would like to be treated :smile: Thank you for the advice though! I am listening to everyone's stories to get a better understanding :smile: x
Reply 9
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
It's not university itself which is a challenge, it's just the fact that an incredibly high proportion of relationships when you're aged 18 aren't going to last. There's no need to get tied down so young really.*

That is true but if you really love each other it should work right regardless of your age? :smile:

There is no need, you have your whole life ahead of you yes, but that doesnt mean that some dont find the right person at 18. everyone is different.

That is true but if you really love each other it should work right regardless of your age? :smile:

age doesnt matter/

that's very naive*
that's very naive*

How do you know thats very niave. Im sorry but everybody is different, and being so judgemental because you believe young relationships wont last and we shouldnt get tied down isnt really helping OPs situation.

The truth is anything is possible, just as much as there is a chance that things could break down things can also work. I know numerous people who have been together since 18/19 which are still together 15/20/25/30 years on, it depends on the couple and the circumstances.

I have no idea what experience you have here, but you have no right to tell anyone they are naive.
Original post by Natalierm2707
How do you know thats very niave. Im sorry but everybody is different, and being so judgemental because you believe young relationships wont last and we shouldnt get tied down isnt really helping OPs situation.

The truth is anything is possible, just as much as there is a chance that things could break down things can also work. I know numerous people who have been together since 18/19 which are still together 15/20/25/30 years on, it depends on the couple and the circumstances.

I have no idea what experience you have here, but you have no right to tell anyone they are naive.

but it is naive to think simply 'being in love' at 18 is enough for it to be a successful long term relationship. Yes there are exceptions but the vast vast majority of relationships at that age aren't particularly serious (despite how you feel at the time).*
but it is naive to think simply 'being in love' at 18 is enough for it to be a successful long term relationship. Yes there are exceptions but the vast vast majority of relationships at that age aren't particularly serious (despite how you feel at the time).*

And i understand that, and no your right being in love shouldnt make anything successful. But commitment, mutual goals, mutual respect and a strong bond is enough to stick it out. You should never write anything off because of age, you would be suprised. And i hate that stupid "majority" statistic, im not the majority, nobody is a statistic they are their own person and they will do what the want with their life, regardless of statistics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I respect everyone's opinion, thank you all :smile:
Reply 16
I respect everyone's opinion, thank you all :smile:

I've just graduated university, it was long distance the whole time as I moved house part way through to return to the same house later on.

He did have his concerns, but we made sure we communicated and facetimed regularly and we're stronger than ever :smile: *
Yep. Which is why a lot of relationships break up before uni.
Original post by lilGem
I've just graduated university, it was long distance the whole time as I moved house part way through to return to the same house later on.

He did have his concerns, but we made sure we communicated and facetimed regularly and we're stronger than ever :smile: *

I'm so glad it worked out between you two! Mutual communication seems the key factor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I'm so glad it worked out between you two! Mutual communication seems the key factor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you :smile: it really is- we've had to work through a lot in the past 3 years so it's been stressful at times

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending