The Student Room Group

Lionel Messi and his father get fines and 21-month prison sentence

Scroll to see replies

A Barcelona court has sentenced Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, to 21 months in prison for tax fraud -- although neither will serve any jail time, according to a report.

The court has been hearing a case brought by prosecutors who maintain that Messi and his father, Jorge, used tax havens in Belize and Uruguay, and shell companies in the UK and Switzerland, to avoid paying taxes totalling €4.1 million on earnings from image rights from 2007 to 2009.

The prosecutors have called for jail sentences for both of the accused -- and, according to Catalan paper El Periodico -- the court has decided to hand out such a punishment.

Under Spanish law they will not serve any jail time as this is their first such offence.Both Messis have denied any wilful wrongdoing, with Lionel admitting in court last month that he signed many documents without reading their contents, and visited a notary's office to go through with setting up a company to handle his finances without understanding what was going on.
Suspended sentence.
****ing hell, two suspended sentences in one day?!
Original post by Wilfred Little
****ing hell, two suspended sentences in one day?!

What was the first one?
Oscar Pistorius?
Original post by Playmaker#10
What was the first one?
Oscar Pistorius?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4201736

So Hilary clinton and Lionel Messi break the law multiple times, but get of scot-free because, Money
So Hilary clinton and Lionel Messi break the law multiple times, but get of scot-free because, Money

Learn the law before you accuse things. In Spain anything under 24 months can be served under probation.

This is basically the same as Mascherano's case. Neither will spend a day behind bars.
Original post by Malevolent
Learn the law before you accuse things. In Spain anything under 24 months can be served under probation.

This is basically the same as Mascherano's case. Neither will spend a day behind bars.

Yeah I posted that in the article.

I just sounds like a load of rubbish if you ask me
Reply 9
A Barcelona court has sentenced Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, to 21 months in prison for tax fraud -- although neither will serve any jail time, according to a report.

The court has been hearing a case brought by prosecutors who maintain that Messi and his father, Jorge, used tax havens in Belize and Uruguay, and shell companies in the UK and Switzerland, to avoid paying taxes totalling €4.1 million on earnings from image rights from 2007 to 2009.

The prosecutors have called for jail sentences for both of the accused -- and, according to Catalan paper El Periodico -- the court has decided to hand out such a punishment.

Under Spanish law they will not serve any jail time as this is their first such offence.Both Messis have denied any wilful wrongdoing, with Lionel admitting in court last month that he signed many documents without reading their contents, and visited a notary's office to go through with setting up a company to handle his finances without understanding what was going on.

"
Under Spanish law they will not serve any jail time as this is their first such offence " ?? so in Spain there are 1st time murderers rapists and mass fraudsters walking around the streets on probation??
Original post by Chakede
"
Under Spanish law they will not serve any jail time as this is their first such offence " ?? so in Spain there are 1st time murderers rapists and mass fraudsters walking around the streets on probation??

Apparently the sentence has to be something less than 24 months.

Like theft of a petty misdemeanor
Apparently the sentence has to be something less than 24 months.

Like theft of a petty misdemeanor

or 4.1 million fraud lol
Original post by Chakede
or 4.1 million fraud lol

LMAO.

How this is fair is beyond me.
LMAO.

How this is fair is beyond me.

i wonder if you robbed 4.1 million from a spanish bank would you just get 24 months suspended
Original post by Chakede
i wonder if you robbed 4.1 million from a spanish bank would you just get 24 months suspended

As long as I'm a 5 time world player of the year winner, I could've raped the Judge's daughter and gotten off with a light sentence
As long as I'm a 5 time world player of the year winner, I could've raped the Judge's daughter and gotten off with a light sentence

yeah but can you score important pens?

no.

Again you're talking rubbish. Different cultures have different views on crimes. In some countries you don't go to jail for tax evasion its seen as a money thing between you and the state. No one has been injured, maimed or killed so you compensate in those terms. *What does the government get in putting him behind bars? They end up having to pay for it anyway so they'd rather collect fines off him.
Original post by Malevolent
Again you're talking rubbish. Different cultures have different views on crimes. In some countries you don't go to jail for tax evasion its seen as a money thing between you and the state. No one has been injured, maimed or killed so you compensate in those terms. *What does the government get in putting him behind bars? They end up having to pay for it anyway so they'd rather collect fines off him.

Mate please pipe down and don't give me any of that different culture crap.

The guy evaded millions in taxes and the only reason he isn't rotting in prison is because he's a first time offender? Oh please shut up and give me and break, also don't say no one was injured, because Spain offer a progressive income tax rate meaning that people who earn a lot get taxed more, taxes go into welfare for the poor, so over 4 million euros which could have been used for helping the government wasn't received, so yes someone somewhere got hurt from this mans crimes.
Original post by Kieran1996
yeah but can you score important pens?

no.

I can score on your sister though
I can score on your sister though

wow good one, its probably best you don't talk on the subject cause you seem a bit clueless :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending