The Student Room Group

Equal pay!!!!

It was my first day back from last summer at a warehouse packing job on Monday & I called quits.

I don't understand why I was getting paid lower than other women for doing the same job just because of age difference.

Can someone explain why this is & if this is even legit?
Reply 1
Because they have more experience than you.
Original post by rkuni16
It was my first day back from last summer at a warehouse packing job on Monday & I called quits.

I don't understand why I was getting paid lower than other women for doing the same job just because of age difference.

Can someone explain why this is & if this is even legit?

They probably assumed that the older women were more experienced and so likely to provide more value to the business. Whether that was actually the case or not, I don't know, but are you sure it was worth quitting simply due to pay difference? If you left because you think you are of more value than what they were paying you (and you already attempted to show them through the amount of work you did that you were worth more value than what they were paying you), then fair enough, but if you just left because of a pay difference, that may not have been such a wise idea. Just my thoughts, some of them be wrong for all I know hahaha
Reply 3
I believe it's just cheap labour & inequality for young people in the workplace.

This summer they have reduced my hourly wage by 40p compared to last year. I felt as if I was getting paid peanuts... For doing the same job as other women being paid more than me??!

I don't think it's got to do with experience they clearly had said in the induction that I'll be getting paid X amount of money due to being under 18... But I'll be doing the same work which I was capable of doing just like all the other women. It's discriminatory.
Over 25's minimum wage is higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending