The Student Room Group

Can I cancel my offers and find somewhere else?

--
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by will_jg
Hey, i'm having a bit of a dilemma. I have already accepted my offers, firmed Exeter (AAA) and insured Newcastle (AAB), both to read Economics and Politics. But I've been thinking about it a lot and tbh I don't want to go to either of those universities, nor do I want to study that course. Maybe it is just cold feet but the more I think about it the more I am sure that it isn't? Also, I have already had a gap year so that isn't really a possibility. If anyone could give me advice or something that'd be great thanks I just don't really know what to do..:redface:

Do you have another uni / course in mind that you want to study? If you dont, then dont cancel your offers! I do think its just cold feet (I felt the same as you immediately after I sent off my application two years ago and ended up adding another choice to my application and doing a different subject) but definitely DO NOT cancel your offers unles you 100% sure of what else you want to do.
Original post by will_jg
Hey, i'm having a bit of a dilemma. I have already accepted my offers, firmed Exeter (AAA) and insured Newcastle (AAB), both to read Economics and Politics. But I've been thinking about it a lot and tbh I don't want to go to either of those universities, nor do I want to study that course. Maybe it is just cold feet but the more I think about it the more I am sure that it isn't? Also, I have already had a gap year so that isn't really a possibility. If anyone could give me advice or something that'd be great thanks I just don't really know what to do..:redface:

If you have a specific course and university in mind, then look at whether that course at that university will be/is in clearing before cancelling your offers. It's not worth studying Econ and Politics if you're not passionate about it... but if you cancel your offers and pick a new course and uni quickly, you might hate that even more, and end up unhappy and in lots of debt. Basically, don't rush any decisions, and don't rush cancelling offers; even if you have a new course and university in mind, there may not be spaces available, so just have a coherent plan with lots of research before doing anything.
Original post by lolakirk
Do you have another uni / course in mind that you want to study? If you dont, then dont cancel your offers! I do think its just cold feet (I felt the same as you immediately after I sent off my application two years ago and ended up adding another choice to my application and doing a different subject) but definitely DO NOT cancel your offers unles you 100% sure of what else you want to do.

Yep I do have other universities in mind, however I don't think any of them do clearing :/ in terms of course I want to do languages
Original post by will_jg
Yep I do have other universities in mind, however I don't think any of them do clearing :/ in terms of course I want to do languages

Wel check the ucas tool / call them and ask if they have places in languages to make sure and if they do and you have the grades then maybe, however your PS doesnt say anything about languages (im assuming) so they would probably ask you to send them another personal statement
Original post by will_jg

Original post by will_jg

Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice

It's possible to be placed into clearing - for Languages you'll likely find a lot of universities will have places available. Language applications are down 18% on 5 years ago ( and 7% on last year).

Have a look at the current vacancies on http://search.ucas.com/ (and if the universities/courses you're interested in call them up and explain your situation and ask if they're likely to have vacancies for people with your grades in August).
Reply 6
Original post by will_jg

What universities are you thinking of ?, if I was you I'd write a personal statement for the new degree you wish to study, and send it to the admission tutor of that course. The most you can do know is try to impress and really make them believe that you want to study the new course and that you won't change your mind again, unis are reluctant to take those who they believe to be flaky and thus drop out. If you then get good grades your in a good position, not everyone will meet the requirements so there's always hope !
Original post by ekariko
What universities are you thinking of ?, if I was you I'd write a personal statement for the new degree you wish to study, and send it to the admission tutor of that course. The most you can do know is try to impress and really make them believe that you want to study the new course and that you won't change your mind again, unis are reluctant to take those who they believe to be flaky and thus drop out. If you then get good grades your in a good position, not everyone will meet the requirements so there's always hope !

Ideally I am thinking UCL, however from what i'm aware of they don't do clearing full stop? I'd have to check though.
Original post by will_jg
Ideally I am thinking UCL, however from what i'm aware of they don't do clearing full stop? I'd have to check though.

UCL don't do Clearing - but they did do adjustment for a handful of courses last year (something they only announced a week before A level results).

In reality clearing and adjustment are the same thing - what they meant was that they were only interested in applicants who met their standard offer (or exceeded it) for a very small number of courses and didn't want to be inundated on the phones.

I'd definitely recommend calling them TOMORROW and explaining your situation and expected grades and the courses you're interested in and asking if they're likely to have places available for people with those grades. It could be that they are full to bursting this year and wont be interested - or you could be their ideal candidate (and by getting in early when you have the time to explain that you'd be in clearing and not adjustment but would still have excellent grades you're more likely to get a positive response than when they're tired and harassed by a million callers)
Original post by PQ
UCL don't do Clearing - but they did do adjustment for a handful of courses last year (something they only announced a week before A level results).

In reality clearing and adjustment are the same thing - what they meant was that they were only interested in applicants who met their standard offer (or exceeded it) for a very small number of courses and didn't want to be inundated on the phones.

I'd definitely recommend calling them TOMORROW and explaining your situation and expected grades and the courses you're interested in and asking if they're likely to have places available for people with those grades. It could be that they are full to bursting this year and wont be interested - or you could be their ideal candidate (and by getting in early when you have the time to explain that you'd be in clearing and not adjustment but would still have excellent grades you're more likely to get a positive response than when they're tired and harassed by a million callers)

Okay thanks a lot. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say:smile:
Hi if I get better results than expected. Can I still use clearing to go to better uni.
Original post by pewdiepig
Hi if I get better results than expected. Can I still use clearing to go to better uni.

If you have a firm offer that accepts you then you can only use clearing by giving up that offer with the agreement of your firm choice (expect to wait 48 hours after phoning to be entered into clearing )

If you meet and exceed your firm offer conditions then you're eligible to use adjustment. That gives you 5 days to look elsewhere without losing your firm choice.

Neither is an ideal situation. If you don't want to go to your firm then you're better off contacting them NOW and asking to be placed into clearing. Results week is extremely busy and stressful - making a panicked decision because of time pressures isn't a way to make good decisions.

Most clearing and adjustment offers will not come with guaranteed accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest