The Student Room Group

Can I study golf management as a second degree using student finance?

I was wondering if you can use student finance for second degrees as I saw I could do golf management at bournmouth uni and this course really appeals to me but I couldnt find anything about funding this degree.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsphysics91
I was wondering if you can use student finance for second degrees as I saw I could do golf management at bournmouth uni and this course really appeals to me but I couldnt find anything about funding this degree.

No, if you already have a degree, you are not entitled to anything from Student Finance
Original post by super_kawaii
No, if you already have a degree, you are not entitled to anything from Student Finance

ok thank you :frown:
Not usually unless you have special circumstances, it's usually course length+ 1 year so you'd only have one year of funding left..so Student finance will fund your third year
Original post by Jackieox
Not usually unless you have special circumstances, it's usually course length+ 1 year so you'd only have one year of funding left..so Student finance will fund your third year

the +1 year doesn't apply to those who've already graduated
What Jelly said is right. +1 is for people who have decided that their degree isn't for them and they want to do something else.

If you want to do another degree, you have to fund this yourself.
Reply 6

Does your upcoming Masters at Cambridge no longer hold its appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Does your upcoming Masters at Cambridge no longer hold its appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just really like golf. Don't hate the player hate the game.

I wish people such as yourself would stop spreading this - it's completely untrue. I funded a 2nd degree in part by Student finance. There are exceptions so what you've stated above is false.

OP, in your particular case I very much doubt that you would get any SF funding.
Reply 9
I just really like golf. Don't hate the player hate the game.

It's the wrong Masters Gromit. :wink:
Original post by KatieBlogger
I wish people such as yourself would stop spreading this - it's completely untrue. I funded a 2nd degree in part by Student finance. There are exceptions so what you've stated above is false.

OP, in your particular case I very much doubt that you would get any SF funding.

It isn't wrong, it is a general rule. There are some exceptions, but hardly any. As far as I know, only people doing NHS degrees, or who are studying engineering, technology or computer science (part-time) are eligible for a second student loan.
Original post by Snufkin
It isn't wrong, it is a general rule. There are some exceptions, but hardly any. As far as I know, only people doing NHS degrees, or who are studying engineering, technology or computer science (part-time) are eligible for a second student loan.

No, that statement that if you've already done a degree, you can't get student finance IS wrong. Let's not play semantics.

As you've rightly pointed out, there are are cases where people with first degrees can get student finance funding for second degrees.

The reason I'm opinionated on this is because people like yourself making the statement that you did were my first source of information when I initially researched doing a second degree. I had to get through a lot of false information like that before I found out that I WAS entitled for help with my NHS degree.

Most people who Google search whether they can get funding for a second degree (often NHS!) will end up on TSR and find a post like yours. It's misleading and you ought to qualify your statement in your original post itself, not by response to me as a semantics debate.
what exactly does golf management entail?

how to handle balls?
No, that statement that if you've already done a degree, you can't get student finance IS wrong. Let's not play semantics.

As you've rightly pointed out, there are are cases where people with first degrees can get student finance funding for second degrees.

The reason I'm opinionated on this is because people like yourself making the statement that you did were my first source of information when I initially researched doing a second degree. I had to get through a lot of false information like that before I found out that I WAS entitled for help with my NHS degree.

Most people who Google search whether they can get funding for a second degree (often NHS!) will end up on TSR and find a post like yours. It's misleading and you ought to qualify your statement in your original post itself, not by response to me as a semantics debate.

OP is not doing one of these courses so my point still stands that should they do this course they would be entitled to absolutely nothing from student finance and would be required to self fund it in its entirety*
OP is not doing one of these courses so my point still stands that should they do this course they would be entitled to absolutely nothing from student finance and would be required to self fund it in its entirety*

Yes that point stands but the one I quoted you on doesn't and it's misleading for people. Why do people do this? I'm not trying to play a game with you or enter into one-upmanship - you're just wrong on something and ought to concede it and correct it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Yes that point stands but the one I quoted you on doesn't and it's misleading for people. Why do people do this? I'm not trying to play a game with you or enter into one-upmanship - you're just wrong on something and ought to concede it and correct it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure the relatively few students considering NHS funded 2nd degrees can do the necessary research. It didn't prevent you from successfully getting funding...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I think you can only take student finance loans once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the extra information you provided is irrelevant to OP and could only add confusion and false hope.

Did this "one upmanship" and "false information" prevent you from getting your funding? No, so end of conversation. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending