The Student Room Group

Post nominals on Linkedin.

I have heard mixed opinions on this subject and wanted to canvas TSR about it.

Basically, I come from a very humble background - comprehensive educated etc and I have earned 2 degrees and I am a member of a professional organisation. I worked phenomenally hard to achieve this and to get to the level that I'm at.

Anyhow, I have a linkedin profile and have noticed that some of my connections use post nominals (B.Sc, MSc, PhD etc) whilst others just list their degrees in the academic section.

Since I worked really hard and I'm proud of what I've done, I kind of want to use my post nominals. But some people seem to think it's immodest and shouldn't be done/comes across as arrogant.

I'm not arrogant or flashy etc. I just worked hard and earned the right to use post nominals, so why not?

What are people's views on them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KatieBlogger
I have heard mixed opinions on this subject and wanted to canvas TSR about it.

Basically, I come from a very humble background - comprehensive educated etc and I have earned 2 degrees and I am a member of a professional organisation. I worked phenomenally hard to achieve this and to get to the level that I'm at.

Anyhow, I have a linkedin profile and have noticed that some of my connections use post nominals (B.Sc, MSc, PhD etc) whilst others just list their degrees in the academic section.

Since I worked really hard and I'm proud of what I've done, I kind of want to use my post nominals. But some people seem to think it's immodest and shouldn't be done/comes across as arrogant.

I'm not arrogant or flashy etc. I just worked hard and earned the right to use post nominals, so why not?

Personally, it looks like a brag and too showwy. I'm especially perplexed when I see someone put B.Sc next to their name now that so many people are going to uni as it is - certainly not a rare enough achievement, as it used to be, to warrant a post-nominal.

Having an education section with your degrees is enough, in most cases. Maybe, post-nominals for a PhD but even then it looks slightly boastful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
It seems to vary by industry/sector. I have my 3 degrees on there, but not professional memberships. A single 'BSc' or 'BA' etc would look strange.

Does anyone actually use LinkedIn other than recruitment agents? I have a profile. I have never used LinkedIn. I have loads of connections from people I don't know. I don't see the point. I wouldn't fret. LinkedIn is one of those things everyone says you have to have, but no one can quite tell you why.

No, you don't use your post nominals in this sort of situation. it's not a matter of pride - it's a matter of where post nominals are used, and that is only in formal situations. it's the same as you don't put your post nominals at the top of your CV after your name.
Original post by ByEeek
Does anyone actually use LinkedIn other than recruitment agents? I have a profile. I have never used LinkedIn. I have loads of connections from people I don't know. I don't see the point. I wouldn't fret. LinkedIn is one of those things everyone says you have to have, but no one can quite tell you why.

Along with a bunch of recruiters I don't know (some of whom have cold-called me with job opportunities) I use it as a first-pass check of peoples' backgrounds, experience and qualifications. It's good for putting names to faces if you've been emailing someone. They advertise a lot of jobs which are relevant to me and I had several interviews from applications I made through the site the last time I was looking for a new job. The 1-month free Premium shows a lot more information. I use it to provide more information about projects I've worked on which supplements my cv. I use it to connect in the first instance with people working in my field who I want to communicate with.

If you never use the site, as you say, then obviously you won't be getting any benefit from it.
Original post by threeportdrift
No, you don't use your post nominals in this sort of situation. it's not a matter of pride - it's a matter of where post nominals are used, and that is only in formal situations. it's the same as you don't put your post nominals at the top of your CV after your name.

Post-nominals aren't just for formal occasions any more - on LinkedIn they are a very quick way of showing your competence (professional memberships, chartered status, significant academic recognition etc). Engineering, HSEQ and ex-military are three sectors which use them a lot.
Reply 7
So many careers require a certain level of qualification and professional membership that if you can't identify this quickly to the recruiter then your CV/Resume might not even get to the academic credentials. I speak to recruiters weekly and when there are over 500 candidates expressing an interest for one position you want to take every advantage in getting yours to the front. It might appear obnoxious to many people but i would say the issue is with the person reading the title and not the persons displaying the title. I have many former military colleagues who have been honoured for valour and academic achievement. When you sacrifice a part of your life for bravery or for any other achievement and it is allowed and proper to have post nominals or certain other prefixes. Then it is the prerogative of that individual to display them whenever they want. In a world where people post images of themselves all over social media sites and have only achieved a fortunate combination of biological genes that makes them appear more attractive than others, why is a hard earned accumulation of letters anymore 'obnoxious'? Personally i would prefer more people to celebrate hard earned achievement rather than the modern custom of celebrating mediocrity that plagues society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending