The Student Room Group

Can I redo A-levels at 18? Career advice.

Hey, so I'm in a bit of a predicament in regards to my career.

Initially I planned to train to be an Avionics technician with the military which is a lucrative career (I know avionics technicians that were trained by the army then went to private contractors and had salaries that exceeded £50,000 per annum), unfortunately after 7 months of waiting around I went to attend my army selection and failed the medical, as unbeknownst to me I am colour-blind, rendering me unable to pursue the career I want.

Now I am in a really bad situation as I have just completed my A-levels to unsatisfactory results, I ****ed up my AS pretty bad and was only doing two A-levels in English and History by A2. i got a C in both them in AS and U in geography in economics, I always wanted to resit my economics but my head-of-6th Form was shockingly incompetent and he could never arrange it for me. I still might consider resitting my economics depending on the price, I'm 18 now and will be 19 by December.

I'm not too confident about my A2 results, even though I'm at an A in my History coursework, but I know that having 2 A-levels makes my chances at enrolling in a university at present nil.

So I'm wondering if you think I should redo an A-level (i.e economics) and how much this costs. Because it it is anything more than a £1000 I will have to consider attending a college course in something. I regret ****ing up my A-Levels and only putting minimal effort in, but I was confident about my career as an avionics technician and viewed any A-level qualifications as superfluous which is why I never really tried.
You have one chance to resit the legacy spec in 2017.
You can do both AS and A2 and they cost about £45-50 each, so £80-90 for the whole qualification.
Very cost effective.
Reply 2
Original post by Hirsty97

Initially I planned to train to be an Avionics technician with the military which is a lucrative career (I know avionics technicians that were trained by the army then went to private contractors and had salaries that exceeded £50,000 per annum), unfortunately after 7 months of waiting around I went to attend my army selection and failed the medical, as unbeknownst to me I am colour-blind, rendering me unable to pursue the career I want.

Now I am in a really bad situation as I have just completed my A-levels to unsatisfactory results, I ****ed up my AS pretty bad and was only doing two A-levels in English and History by A2. i got a C in both them in AS and U in geography in economics, I always wanted to resit my economics but my head-of-6th Form was shockingly incompetent and he could never arrange it for me. I still might consider resitting my economics depending on the price, I'm 18 now and will be 19 by December.

I'm not too confident about my A2 results, even though I'm at an A in my History coursework, but I know that having 2 A-levels makes my chances at enrolling in a university at present nil.

So I'm wondering if you think I should redo an A-level (i.e economics) and how much this costs. Because it it is anything more than a £1000 I will have to consider attending a college course in something. I regret ****ing up my A-Levels and only putting minimal effort in, but I was confident about my career as an avionics technician and viewed any A-level qualifications as superfluous which is why I never really tried.

It depends , you have 2 options you can attend a college and pay to sit you alevels again in a year intensive course. This option is expensive but it better if you really need to be taught the material and not just revise. If you feel that all you need to do is to revise the content and you got a good grasp of it id pay to sit modules/ exams units only as a private candidate at a school or college, and if you need the odd session you can hire a tutor closer to the exams. hope this helps

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4201948Why post twice? Just bump the original thread
Reply 4
Original post by ekariko
It depends , you have 2 options you can attend a college and pay to sit you alevels again in a year intensive course. This option is expensive but it better if you really need to be taught the material and not just revise. If you feel that all you need to do is to revise the content and you got a good grasp of it id pay to sit modules/ exams units only as a private candidate at a school or college, and if you need the odd session you can hire a tutor closer to the exams. hope this helps

How expensive? Bearing in mind I'm unemployed, live with my mother who earns less than £10,000 per year.

Yes I would opt to just sit the exams, as I learn better as an autodidact,through using books and online resources.
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4201948Why post twice? Just bump the original thread

I didn't...
Reply 6

You can do it for free at 18. Enroll at a different college and your college is likely to be able to waive your fees in your fourth year just make sure you get Bs in your AS in your 3rd year.
Reply 7
How expensive? Bearing in mind I'm unemployed, live with my mother who earns less than £10,000 per year.

Yes I would opt to just sit the exams, as I learn better as an autodidact,through using books and online resources.

The year intensive courses I believe are a couple of grand so probably not ideal. Sitting individual exams as a private candidate is not that expensive bear in mind different schools or colleges offer different prices, . It also depends how many units your resitting , some school do a group price , for instances if your sitting 5 exams they would make you pay a certain amount that would be cheaper then paying for the 5 individual units. So definitely look around for the best prices. You'd pay for the exam itself and the admin fee on top of that. The admin fee would normally cover all the exams your sitting, it's not applied to every unit your resitting. Aqa has a list of schools that allow private candidates and you should contact them as soon as possible to find out the prices and there deadline as some can be as early as December and some are in February. Also considering you haven't turned 19 yet and you won't have before the new academic year starts in September you might be able to enrol to do your A2s at a college for free, so also look into that because enrolment would be this August after results day . I hope this helped
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ekariko
The year intensive courses I believe are a couple of grand so probably not ideal. Sitting individual exams as a private candidate is not that expensive bear in mind different schools or colleges offer different prices, . It also depends how many units your resitting , some school do a group price , for instances if your sitting 5 exams they would make you pay a certain amount that would be cheaper then paying for the 5 individual units. So definitely look around for the best prices. You'd pay for the exam itself and the admin fee on top of that. The admin fee would normally cover all the exams your sitting, it's not applied to every unit your resitting. Aqa has a list of schools that allow private candidates and you should contact them as soon as possible to find out the prices and there deadline as some can be as early as December and some are in February. Also considering you haven't turned 19 yet and you won't have before the new academic year starts in September you might be able to enrol to do your A2s at a college for free, so also look into that because enrolment would be this August after results day . I hope this helped

Update: I applied and was accepted in college, which isn't costing me anything. Which is a relief. Still the issue is that I'm broke, unemployed with no money coming in - but at least I have college coming in September to keep me occupied.

It's depressing staying inside most of the week, because I can't afford to go out,and if I want to I have to leech money off my mum, which is demoralising.

The course I'm doing at college is a Level 3 Business diploma, which I think will be conducive towards an economics degree, that could translate into a well-paid prodigious career. I hope! However, university still isn't something I definitely want to do yet - the prospect of wasting 4 years and being indebted for nothing is very real.

What I really want to do is live abroad, somewhere where the cost of living is low and quality of life is high, like the Dominican Republic. By high I don't mean like Switzerland's standards, but somewhere, where there is ample food, decent services, cheap rent, good weather and a good night-life.
Reply 9
Is this even possible with the New A - Levels, I'm pretty sure this year was the final year they produced a paper with the content he would've completed therefore he won't be able to resit modules - they stopped doing resits for modules anyway.
Original post by Rigby16
Is this even possible with the New A - Levels, I'm pretty sure this year was the final year they produced a paper with the content he would've completed therefore he won't be able to resit modules - they stopped doing resits for modules anyway.

All of the units for A levels that have been replaced by reformed A levels will be available for resit next year. Of course since only resit candidates can take them, centres will have no need to offer them to full time students so many may be unwilling to offer them to external private candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I am currently in the same boat as you... I'm curious as to how things turned out as I am looking to redo my A levels also... except with different options than the ones that I initially picked.
Reply 12
Original post by CreaseChan
Hey I am currently in the same boat as you... I'm curious as to how things turned out as I am looking to redo my A levels also... except with different options than the ones that I initially picked.

Wow. This was a while ago.

I couldn't and up doing economics with college but I am doing A level maths and and level 3 business at college.

Maths is through self-study and I am on the middle of a revision is session right now in fact. I can't tell you my results until I get them but I'm optimistic. Currently sitting on offers from Bristol, Exeter, and Manchester for PPE.
Wow. This was a while ago.

I couldn't and up doing economics with college but I am doing A level maths and and level 3 business at college.

Maths is through self-study and I am on the middle of a revision is session right now in fact. I can't tell you my results until I get them but I'm optimistic. Currently sitting on offers from Bristol, Exeter, and Manchester for PPE.

So I have my Y13 A-level exams in June and if all goes wrong (though I hope not); I might consider resetting my A-levels with different subjects. Is there a rule you have to pay to go to a sixth form/A-levels, if you're 18+? I turn 18 in June. Also good luck with your offers. Whats PPE?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest