The Student Room Group

Racism in UK particularly London

Hey
I'm an Indian student, hoping to get into a good medical school in the UK.
I was just wondering, are there a lot of instances towards Indians in the UK/London?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Not really very blatant, if there is it's usually subtle stuff you can ignore. I suppose it depends where you go as well though.

The UK is far better then most other countries however :yep:
London is one of the least racist cities you can find in the UK. Of course there are some bad people, but there are bad people everywhere. Ethnic minorities are treated respectfully here, for the most part

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think so. I'm also South Asian and I live in London.No one has ever been racist to me here before but I don't doubt that there are some bad people here. You should come here if you want to.
Depends on where you go... London is really nice, never experienced any racism and up in the north, it's usually stuff that you can ignore. The only thing I would watch out for is embittered old men who curse you - but again, can be ignored.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey
I was just wondering, are there a lot of instances towards Indians in the UK/London?

Thanks

Well the good thing is London is diverse and multicultural - so it is not as racist as the rest of the UK. I am not sure about England as a whole, but London is certainly a place where you can live. Try and avoid deprived area such as areas with a lot of council flats. These areas tend to have low life uneducated scums. Don't be surprised to hear a lot of profanity (swear words) in this country. On the whole, there are not many reported instances and it is some what safe to live and study here
London is multicultural af, you shouldn't have any worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Racism? Immigrants are treated like royalty in the UK!
Original post by ATW1
Racism? Immigrants are treated like royalty in the UK!

Karma I guess my friend - what goes around (English colonizing nearly 75% of the world and stealing assets not rightfully theirs) comes around (Foreigners moving to the UK and stealing benefits)! Thoroughly deserved IMHO!
Original post by timokane5
Karma I guess my friend - what goes around (English colonizing nearly 75% of the world and stealing assets not rightfully theirs) comes around (Foreigners moving to the UK and stealing benefits)! Thoroughly deserved IMHO!

Your logic, my friend, is terrifying.

If all generations have to pay for their ancestors' past then why don't we lynch all white Americans because of the African slave trade? Why don't we commit genocide on the Chinese because of the Taiwan Strait Crises? Why don't we put all Germans into a concentration camp because of the Nazis? The movement of people has nothing to do with karma, but instead the inequality in regional economic development. As much as that might be down to early colonisation, much of India's development can be attributed to Britain's rule in the region as it was British money that funded schools, public services and jobs.

Sigh, stealing benefits? Really?

Stealing?

Seriously?
Reply 11

Indeed. Germany is a classic example of that. Desperately trying to make up for its past but destroying its future in the process, and punishing every future German for the actions of their ancestors. Thoroughly deserved IMHO!
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey

Thanks

There is no racism in London, it is very multicultural so you shouldn't really have a problem.

>Bad when we do it
>A natural right when they do it

Hypocrite's Logic: The Guide
That would be misleading to say. Rather, there is racism in London but there is not a lot of racism in London because people are generally accepting. However, as someone with an ethnic minority background that was born and raised in London, I have experienced racism here on more than a few occasions. Having said that, London is nowhere near as bad as parts of America
Original post by wolfslayer1
That would be misleading to say. Rather, there is racism in London but there is not a lot of racism in London because people are generally accepting. However, as someone with an ethnic minority background that was born and raised in London, I have experienced racism here on more than a few occasions. Having said that, London is nowhere near as bad as parts of America

Really? Which ethnic group from?
London is about 55% Ethnic minority. I'd be really surprised if you encountered racism, at all.
Yup, I'm black

No, I mean, which ethnic group was the racism from? Not all instances of racism are perpetrated by whites
Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question
And no, the racism I have experienced hasn't actually been exclusively from white people.
The most racist remarks that have been made towards me have been from white Europeans and Asian people
Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question
And no, the racism I have experienced hasn't actually been exclusively from white people.
The most racist remarks that have been made towards me have been from white Europeans and Asian people

Really? What kind of things did they say, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest