The Student Room Group

IB Results

So I got an offer from St.Hugh's College (Oxford University) to read Philosophy, Politics, Economics at the condition that I score 39 IB points with a 766 in my HL subjects. I received my IB results yesterday and turns out that I scored a 38 with a 666 in my HL subjects. My school faculty believes that there could be something wrong in the marking for Economics HL and Business Management HL and hence have advised me to get it remarked. I'll find out by how much I have missed 7s in those subjects tomorrow. Even if my grades remain the same, what shot do I have of still getting in?
Reply 1
NEVER give up! Get it remarked. Shouldn't the grade change, call your college!
Reply 2
@BioOx - Update.I missed out a 7 in BM HL by 1 mark , a 7 in Physics HL by 1 mark , a 6 in Math HL by 2 marks and a 7 in Economics by 1 mark. Would oxford consider this situation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Just go for the remark. In all these subjects. Believe me it will pay off! They will consider your grades after the remark but not after the resit (except if you had some extenuating circumstances)
It seems to me that you were an unlucky person. Where could you miss that one point in Economics?????
I am routing for you!

P.S. I am a student in IBDP2 and I am also going to apply to St. Hugh's for biological sciences.
Reply 4
Original post by BioOx
Just go for the remark. In all these subjects. Believe me it will pay off! They will consider your grades after the remark but not after the resit (except if you had some extenuating circumstances)
It seems to me that you were an unlucky person. Where could you miss that one point in Economics?????
I am routing for you!

P.S. I am a student in IBDP2 and I am also going to apply to St. Hugh's for biological sciences.

Hahaha. I hope you're luckier
Original post by adibadaya
@BioOx - Update.I missed out a 7 in BM HL by 1 mark , a 7 in Physics HL by 1 mark , a 6 in Math HL by 2 marks and a 7 in Economics by 1 mark. Would oxford consider this situation?

This happened to me last year. Cambridge rejected me afted six weeks.
Reply 6
I'd say ask for a remark in those subjects where you're very close to the next grade, and inform your college you intend to do this. Also, make sure to tell your college about your component marks and how far off the boundaries you were, because I'm not sure they actually get this information from the IBO. It's best to give the tutors as much information as possible.
Reply 7
Original post by Skye25
I'd say ask for a remark in those subjects where you're very close to the next grade, and inform your college you intend to do this. Also, make sure to tell your college about your component marks and how far off the boundaries you were, because I'm not sure they actually get this information from the IBO. It's best to give the tutors as much information as possible.

I have sent my online login details to my college so they can check the result themselves. Additionally, I shall find out the detailed component markings tomorrow and will update them with the same. My school expects me to get at least get a point up in the 4 subjects ( which will satisfy my offer.) However, just in case that I do not get marked, would Oxford consider the situation as is? Additionally, in case I have missed out due to high moderation by the IB on my internal assessments and the pattern has significantly changed this year for Business and Physics, my school would be wiling to write a letter stating that due to moderation of the entire batch, I missed out on crucial points. Do you think that can be beneficial?
Reply 8
I have sent my online login details to my college so they can check the result themselves.

I'm really not sure you're supposed to do that...

However, just in case that I do not get marked, would Oxford consider the situation as is? Additionally, in case I have missed out due to high moderation by the IB on my internal assessments and the pattern has significantly changed this year for Business and Physics, my school would be wiling to write a letter stating that due to moderation of the entire batch, I missed out on crucial points. Do you think that can be beneficial?

Your tutors will most likely wait until A Level results day sometime in August before making a decision, so they also know which A Level offer holders haven't made the grades. Really, at that point, it's considered on a case by case basis. It will depend on how much the tutors want you, and how many spaces the college actually has after giving priority to those with fulfilled open offers. And as the tutors are human, any further information you can give them will help them make a better decision. So yes, information about IB moderation that has significantly impacted your grades would be useful.
Personally, I'd recommend facing this whole situation as "we must give them as much information as possible" rather than "we must convince them to let me in".
Reply 9
So I got an offer from St.Hugh's College (Oxford University) to read Philosophy, Politics, Economics at the condition that I score 39 IB points with a 766 in my HL subjects. I received my IB results yesterday and turns out that I scored a 38 with a 666 in my HL subjects. My school faculty believes that there could be something wrong in the marking for Economics HL and Business Management HL and hence have advised me to get it remarked. I'll find out by how much I have missed 7s in those subjects tomorrow. Even if my grades remain the same, what shot do I have of still getting in?

Did you go for the remark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending