The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh, and another thing (once you get me started......)

'Seeing practice' isn't just about what the vet does. If you're a potential vet student, make sure you shadow the nurses too (ask them first). In a good practice they will perform admissions and gain consent for procedures, take care of inpatients, prepare and monitor anaesthesia, assist with surgery, set up and sort bloods/fluids/x-rays and other diagnostics, run their own consultations, perform discharges, and lots of other stuff. Seeing what they do (and the reception staff too) will give you a far more rounded view of practice life and functions.

Jill
As a student I 100% agree with Jill.
Also, bear in mind that not all practices had work experience students before and they might not know what to do with you (happened to me).
Offering to clean is a great ice breaker in situations like this.
Also, if you want to see something particular that is happening, but the staff isn't offering or saying anything, don't be afraid to ask.
Worst case scenario, they say no.
Not all practices will have a prepared work schedule for you.
I didn't know this and my first work experience placement was the most awkward thing ever.

Just like in Jill's example, I was basically standing in the corner like a knob. 2/10 experience, don't recommend to anyone haha
That's a very good point that Nessie makes - some practices are very used to work exp students and will have an organised approach to managing you. Others will have no experience of it at all, so if you can help them out then things should go a lot better!

I'm planning on creating a nice succint little guide ('top tips' type thing) for work experience students - watch this space if you're interested. :smile:

Any more questions? Bring 'em on!
is it possible to be a vet after finishing vet nurse course?
Original post by 12103763d
is it possible to be a vet after finishing vet nurse course?

That question is for another thread - this thread is about work experience and how to get the best from it.

With regard to your question though - in a word - no. They are two entirely different careers, rather like a medical doctor and a nurse.
Original post by Jill Macdonald
That question is for another thread - this thread is about work experience and how to get the best from it.

With regard to your question though - in a word - no. They are two entirely different careers, rather like a medical doctor and a nurse.

Appreciate you not refused to answer me, Thank you!
Do any of you have any advice to share to others re 'how to get the best out of your work experience placements'?
So, not how to get the placements, or what placements you should try and get - but specifically, how to get the very most out of the experience once you are there. It's not actually as easy as it sounds!

I know loads of you will have recently done placements, so please let's hear from you.

What went well?
What didn't go so well?
What would you do differently next time?

Jill
Do any of you have any advice to share to others re 'how to get the best out of your work experience placements'?
So, not how to get the placements, or what placements you should try and get - but specifically, how to get the very most out of the experience once you are there. It's not actually as easy as it sounds!

I know loads of you will have recently done placements, so please let's hear from you.

What went well?
What didn't go so well?

Jill

I think if you just ask questions then that'd massively help you: ask why the vet is doing something, ask if they could explain a certain disease, ask if you can see a certain case. Don't be afraid to ask questions!!! Because whenever I've asked (many) questions, although Ive felt annoying I understand things better and it makes it more enjoyable! 😊

What went well?
What didn't go so well?

Jill

Always, always, always take any opportunities you can! Recently I have been on placements where opportunities have come up that would be so interesting- for example the kennels I work at going out to collect stray dogs- that it wouldn't even occur to them to ask if a student wanted to come along- but I asked and got to see some amazing things about the work they do with stray dogs in the community- and they even offered for me to come out more often after that! The worst they can say is no! Another thing is that vets have been through the entire process we are going through now before- they have applied, maybe reapplied, gone through interviews, and then actual vet school- and the majority are more than happy to talk about the process with you- what uni they went to, what they did or didn't like about it- so I like to talk to them about my application and have actually had some great advice (just be sure to pick an appropriate time to discuss this). Finally, I always take cake in at the end of my placements just as a thank you- and find it always goes down well! Sorry for the long winded reply Jilll, I hope this helps!
Original post by HHemingway
Always, always, always take any opportunities you can! Recently I have been on placements where opportunities have come up that would be so interesting- for example the kennels I work at going out to collect stray dogs- that it wouldn't even occur to them to ask if a student wanted to come along- but I asked and got to see some amazing things about the work they do with stray dogs in the community- and they even offered for me to come out more often after that! The worst they can say is no! Another thing is that vets have been through the entire process we are going through now before- they have applied, maybe reapplied, gone through interviews, and then actual vet school- and the majority are more than happy to talk about the process with you- what uni they went to, what they did or didn't like about it- so I like to talk to them about my application and have actually had some great advice (just be sure to pick an appropriate time to discuss this). Finally, I always take cake in at the end of my placements just as a thank you- and find it always goes down well! Sorry for the long winded reply Jilll, I hope this helps!

Hi Hemingway,
Thanks for your reply, I'm sure that has been really helpful to some of the potential vet students on the forum. You're absolutely right, take those opportunities when you can, and you never know what may prove to be far more useful for you than you may have initially thought.
Jill
I would love to become a veterinary nurse, but finding it difficult to find work experience. Any tips?
Original post by Nihal Chagpar
I would love to become a veterinary nurse, but finding it difficult to find work experience. Any tips?

There is a masterpost about organising work experience here.

In future please do not resurrect really old threads. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending