The Student Room Group

I'm a refugee AMA

I'm 17 years old and my family and I came to the UK when I was one. We were escaping the Sri Lankan Civil War.

Now, we are all living normal lives here in London. My parents both work and we are renting a small flat. I'm currently studying my A-Levels and looking to go to university. I speak fluent English and got an A* in my English GCSE so I won't have any problems answering any of your questions!

I feel like the recent migrant crisis has led to a lot of misinformation being spread about refugees. Even on TSR, I constantly see people writing threads about refugees being rapists or terrorists ornthat we don't integrate- this isn't really true for the majority of us- I even a British citizen now!

I want to address any questions or concerns that you guys have about refugees. I don't go on tsr often so it might take me a while to reply.

(I'm also Muslimn)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sinhalese or Tamil?
Original post by Axel Johann
Sinhalese or Tamil?

Tamil
What is your 3rd favourite colour? Explain with detail. You will be marked on the quality, spelling, punctuation and grammar in your answer
[6 marks]

Spoiler

Why do you think a disproportionate number of rapes against native citizens in Sweden and Germany are committed by migrants?
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
What is your 3rd favourite colour? Explain with detail. You will be marked on the quality, spelling, punctuation and grammar in your answer
[6 marks]

Spoiler

Haha. Personally, my third favourite colour is green because green is the colour of leaves. Leaves are a vital part of trees and trees are vital to our life on Earth, kindly providing us with oxygen to breathe.

However, green is not quite as nice a colour as blue- representing the sky, which gives us rain for us to use to grow plants. Also, white is another colour which is better than green because white light contains all the other colours in the spectrum. At least that is what my physics teacher told me.
What does it feel like being far from your other home?
Do you want to go back?
Do you have an accent? Which one?
Reply 8
What languages can you think in?
Original post by inspiringtop123
Haha. Personally, my third favourite colour is green because green is the colour of leaves. Leaves are a vital part of trees and trees are vital to our life on Earth, kindly providing us with oxygen to breathe.

However, green is not quite as nice a colour as blue- representing the sky, which gives us rain for us to use to grow plants. Also, white is another colour which is better than green because white light contains all the other colours in the spectrum. At least that is what my physics teacher told me.

A valiant effort m80 :five: I will award you 4.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 (+ a cheeki 0.5 for that excellent use of punctuation :teehee: )
I have bolded the places in which you could have improved upon, although I thought you'd done exceptionally better than in the other AMA

Spoiler

Lol considering you've been in the country for nearly all your life, you're basically just another Asian British guy :smile: I was expecting some Surian guy who just came here a few months ago haha

Anyway, whats your favourite subject?
I think most people need to Get Refugee and Economic migrant differentiated, but sadly It is hard to do. But welcome and I hope you are having a good time and congratulation on your results and I hope everything goes well for you.

Ok question time

What one of each thing from Sri Lanka would you bring over to The Uk. Food/Drink/Festival or celebration/Cultural custom
If you had to go back to Sri Lanka what would you bring back from the UK. Food/Drink/Festival or celebration/Cultural custom
Original post by physicsphysics91
Why do you think a disproportionate number of rapes against native citizens in Sweden and Germany are committed by migrants?

I don't know. It seems that a lot of the migrants coming here aren't actually refugees and are coming here for employment or for criminal reasons. That type of disgusting, mysoginistic behaviour, regardless of who commits it, doesn't really have any justifications and is just appaling. But I don't think all refugees should be blamed. The majority of them are desperate to go anywhere that's safe and will accept them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CorpusLuteum
What does it feel like being far from your other home?
Do you want to go back?

Lol I've lived here for 16 of the 17 years I've been alive for so I don't miss anything. I don't even remember what life in Sri Lanka is like since I was a baby st the time. No, I really don't want to go back! I love Britain and I think this is the greatest country in the world. British people of all races and ethnicities are very hardworking, friendly people in general.
Original post by Ladbants
Do you have an accent? Which one?

I have a British accent!
Original post by fg45344
What languages can you think in?

I can only think in English. I can speak Tamil as well but not as fluently as English.
Reply 16
Original post by inspiringtop123
I can only think in English. I can speak Tamil as well but not as fluently as English.

So then you can think in Tamil as well, if you can speak it?
Original post by fg45344
So then you can think in Tamil as well, if you can speak it?

Yeah I could but I don't. Sorry I misunderstood the question at first haha
Did your family experience any racial abuse when you were new to the country?
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think most people need to Get Refugee and Economic migrant differentiated, but sadly It is hard to do. But welcome and I hope you are having a good time and congratulation on your results and I hope everything goes well for you.

Ok question time

What one of each thing from Sri Lanka would you bring over to The Uk. Food/Drink/Festival or celebration/Cultural custom
If you had to go back to Sri Lanka what would you bring back from the UK. Food/Drink/Festival or celebration/Cultural custom

Even then, there is nothing wrong with economic migrants as long as they arrive in the UK legally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending