The Student Room Group

I'm a refugee AMA

Scroll to see replies

Who in the Conservative leadership race should be the next PM?
Hillary or Trump?
Reply 22
Original post by inspiringtop123
Yeah I could but I don't. Sorry I misunderstood the question at first haha

Why don't you think in Tamil?
Why do you have an England flag on your avatar when you're not British?
Do you support IS?
Original post by fg45344
Why don't you think in Tamil?

Because I speak in English 80% of the time and I only speak in Tamil to my parents if they can't understand something I said in English.

Do you think in two languages?
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think most people need to Get Refugee and Economic migrant differentiated, but sadly It is hard to do. But welcome and I hope you are having a good time and congratulation on your results and I hope everything goes well for you.

Ok question time

What one of each thing from Sri Lanka would you bring over to The Uk. Food/Drink/Festival or celebration/Cultural custom
If you had to go back to Sri Lanka what would you bring back from the UK. Food/Drink/Festival or celebration/Cultural custom

Lol I can't really think of anything I would bring from Sri Lanka to the UK. maybe the weather lol

I would bring fish and chips there for sure.
Reply 26
Because I speak in English 80% of the time and I only speak in Tamil to my parents if they can't understand something I said in English.

Do you think in two languages?

But can you think in Tamil? No I don't, I speak English only.
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
Did your family experience any racial abuse when you were new to the country?

When I was little, my parents did get shouted racial slurs at a bit by random strangers. Now it doesn't happen. I get treated just like any British person of Asian descent.
Original post by biglad2k16
Who in the Conservative leadership race should be the next PM?

I think it should be Andrea Leadsom. Since Brtiain voted for Brexit, I think the best person to deliver that is someone who cmapaigned for Brexit but also has a lot qualities needed to be Prime Minister. I don't think Michael Gove offers that.
Original post by hoping4thebest
Hillary or Trump?

I don't like either tbh. But I would reluctantly vote for Hillary if I were an American.
Original post by cashcash871
Why do you have an England flag on your avatar when you're not British?
Do you support IS?

Because I've lived in this country for 16 out of 17 years. My family pays taxes and I'm a citizen. I just wasn't born here. I can't really identify as Sri Lankan since I am an ethnic minority there as well and a lot of Tamils don't identify as Sri Lankan because of what happened in the Sri Lankan genocide. I consider myself British by nationality and Tamil by ethnicity.

No, I don't support IS.
Lol I can't really think of anything I would bring from Sri Lanka to the UK. maybe the weather lol

I would bring fish and chips there for sure.

yes! Fish and chips is something that Sri Lanka needs
Original post by physicsphysics91
Why do you think a disproportionate number of rapes against native citizens in Sweden and Germany are committed by migrants?

Lol I swear you're obsessed with migrant-induced rape.
Original post by Trapz99
yes! Fish and chips is something that Sri Lanka needs

Truth
Why do you think a disproportionate number of rapes against native citizens in Sweden and Germany are committed by migrants?

You've got a serious problem mate, you're always making threads about migrant and rape and are obsessed with the topic. How about you realise that we should be treated as individuals and not labelled as a group. Most refugees have nothing to do with rape and it is not a problem of race, religion or culture but of individual people committing disgusting acts.
Original post by Ladbants
You've got a serious problem mate, you're always making threads about migrant and rape and are obsessed with the topic. How about you realise that we should be treated as individuals and not labelled as a group. Most refugees have nothing to do with rape and it is not a problem of race, religion or culture but of individual people committing disgusting acts.

^This
He is completely obsessed it's actually kinda weird
Original post by Trapz99
Lol I swear you're obsessed with migrant-induced rape.

We discuss what's in the news consistently. Maybe if they did good things instead of burning down their own shelters we'd be a bit more positive lol

In Sweden, it is reported that 77% of all rapes are committed by a mere 2% of the population. Since the refugee crisis in Europe, the number of reported rape incidents from men of Middle Eastern and North African origin has skyrocketed, so too has the number of sexual assault and domestic violence. The person who you call "mate" is within his rights to take an interest in this vehement increase in sexual violence as it's not something some people can just dismiss.

On the contrary, of course we shouldn't demean and label all Muslims and refugees as sexual predators and I'm unhappy that he brought up the link on what was supposed to be a lighthearted thread. However, to not make the distinction between an epidemic among a particular group of people to pander to political correctness is the epitome of delusion; your saying "it is not a problem of race, religion or culture" is simply not true and if you took the time to research the rise in sexual violence in Europe you wouldn't say something so blindly misinformed.
We discuss what's in the news consistently. Maybe if they did good things instead of burning down their own shelters we'd be a bit more positive lol

Hi. I understand your concerns about migrants and I realise that there have been several reports of migrants sexually assaulting women and otherwise abusing the country which has generously provided them asylum. This is a problem and there are ways to prevent it without simply pointing the finger at refugees as a whole.

I think the best solution would be to still allow genuine refugees to come but have better security checks. You have to realise that refugees are genuinely desperate people and this can only be truly appreciated when having lived in a war zone. Although some refugees are responsible for these problems, it's best to deport these criminals if possible and continue to accept genuine refugee families because their original homes are impossible to live in. I believe the right thing to do is to aallow at least a small percentage of these people to come and start new lives in the UK. Personally, I couldn't be more grateful to have the opportunity to start my life in this country and I can only thank the British people and government for giving us such a warm welcome.

However, I completely disagree with your point that refugees do not do "good things". I believe that many refugees, including my parents and I have made a positive contribution to society. For example, my mother is training as a carer for children and my father and I regularly volunteer. This isn't what all refugees do, but a majority of them live normal lives and are not a burden on the UK.
@thunder_chunky you have a lot to say about Muslims and refugees. Go on, why not discuss them with an actual refugee?
I'm 17 years old and my family and I came to the UK when I was one. We were escaping the Sri Lankan Civil War.

Now, we are all living normal lives here in London. My parents both work and we are renting a small flat. I'm currently studying my A-Levels and looking to go to university. I speak fluent English and got an A* in my English GCSE so I won't have any problems answering any of your questions!

I feel like the recent migrant crisis has led to a lot of misinformation being spread about refugees. Even on TSR, I constantly see people writing threads about refugees being rapists or terrorists ornthat we don't integrate- this isn't really true for the majority of us- I even a British citizen now!

I want to address any questions or concerns that you guys have about refugees. I don't go on tsr often so it might take me a while to reply.

(I'm also Muslimn)

Hi,

I'm Sri Lankan Tamil too! How are you? I'm 16, I live in London and I just finished GCSEs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Man, how long has it been since the civil war? I knew there had been a civil war in Sri Lanka, but when did it end? Also, you're the first Sri Lankan Muslim I've ever heard of, I thought it was just a Buddhist country. Anyways, you arrived here at a time when anti-refugee ideas weren't so widespread, so now that it has become widespread, it comes across as a little troubling, to me and potentially you as well. I don't want to seem offensive, but it is true that a select few refugees don't want to integrate, but many more do and try to integrate, such as yourself, and I'm pleased that you're willing to take other people's stick to set their views straight. I have one question for you; do you think some refugees don't want to integrate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending