The Student Room Group

Driving on the motorway for the first time today

So I drove on the motorway today with my dad for the first time after 3 and a half years (YES, this is what UNI does to you when you do not drive, a long story anyways)

Anyways, I am slightly confused about the rules regarding driving on the motorway. My dad told me to stay in the left lane because I was slow, but then as I became faster he told me to change into the middle lane and then I felt a bit cheeky and like a boss and went into the right lane. I had to go back into the middle lane because people were tailgaiting me - but I seriously don't get it. Is the right lane an express lane or something? My dad told me off for going into that lane though.

People in the lane were doing like 100mp -literally. I don't get it - are there not cameras :s-smilie:
LMAO. How can you not know this considering that you've been to uni and presumably passed your driving test?
Reply 2
Original post by Silver Arrow
LMAO. How can you not know this considering that you've been to uni and presumably passed your driving test?

Erm maybe because I didn't really drive my car for 3 and a half years! I drive to the supermarket down to the next block every now and then - but I would not consider myself as a regular driver
Reply 3
Original post by Silver Arrow
Well that's no excuse but I guess not everyone is a car nut like I am. Basically the left lane is where you're supposed to be but it's mostly used by lorries and other slow vehicles.

The right lane is the fast lane where people drive fast. You're supposed to use it to overtake and then move back to the left but most use it to put the pedal to the metal. The middle lane is for when you wanna go faster than the HGVs in the slow lane, but not speeding like the people on the right. Beware of hogging this lane though as you can get fined.

Regarding speed cameras they are present on motorways although not as common as you might think and plenty of people drive at 85-90mph. If you do see warnings that speed cameras are present then obviously slow down.

What do you mean by hogging the lane? I keep hearing this everywhere
Original post by samklipas0
So I drove on the motorway today with my dad for the first time after 3 and a half years (YES, this is what UNI does to you when you do not drive, a long story anyways)

Anyways, I am slightly confused about the rules regarding driving on the motorway. My dad told me to stay in the left lane because I was slow, but then as I became faster he told me to change into the middle lane and then I felt a bit cheeky and like a boss and went into the right lane. I had to go back into the middle lane because people were tailgaiting me - but I seriously don't get it. Is the right lane an express lane or something? My dad told me off for going into that lane though.

People in the lane were doing like 100mp -literally. I don't get it - are there not cameras :s-smilie:

Basically the general rule is keep left, pass right. You have to stay in the left lane and use right lane only for passing slower vehicles or entering toll gates etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
Basically the general rule is keep left, pass right. You have to stay in the left lane and use right lane only for passing slower vehicles or entering toll gates etc.

I see, I think it is making sense. Although, I don't get how people go above 70mph on a motorway. I was driving at about 74mph and there are cars overtaking me going at about 100mph. Are there not speed cameras on the M11 or something?
Original post by samklipas0
I see, I think it is making sense. Although, I don't get how people go above 70mph on a motorway. I was driving at about 74mph and there are cars overtaking me going at about 100mph. Are there not speed cameras on the M11 or something?

They are basically some idiots or some experienced drivers, who have been driving on motorways for years, they might know exactly where speed radars are placed. That's why you see some doing that, be aware there might me some undercover cops pretending to be normal civilians driving a normal car, they might speed and tempt you to speed and get trapped.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending