The Student Room Group

Andrea Leadsom Tried To Abolish All Worker’s Rights For Small Companies In 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gora The Xplorer
If a business cannot survive without exploiting workers the business model itself if bunk.

But we are talking about small start up companies with 3 employees

Can you imagine if for example they had 2 employees and both wanted to go on say maternity leave

For many this would cause the company to fail
Original post by BaconandSauce
But we are talking about small start up companies with 3 employees

Can you imagine if for example they had 2 employees and both wanted to go on say maternity leave

If a business is unable to survive the terrible stresses of first-world worker protection laws, I think it positively should fail.

I'm disappointed by this, I thought Leadsom was a compassionate progressive leaver after he seeking to reassure EU migrants already here.
If a business is unable to survive the terrible stresses of first-world worker protection laws, I think it positively should fail.

I'm disappointed by this, I thought Leadsom was a compassionate progressive leaver after he seeking to reassure EU migrants already here.

For small startups I don't they this is right as without them succeeding how do they grow so they can employ more people (and then they should have to comply with the legislation)

Listening to her supporters last night, most of them seem to be very over on the hard right of the Tories, so there must be reasons why she's appealing to that crowd.
As long as there's a strict limit on which small coma knows this applies to, then fair enough.

As long as perfectly stable business don't exploit this, otherwise we'd end up seeing wages reduced everywhere. (Making the Brexit vote pointless since people spoke about immigration driving down wages)
Original post by Lord Samosa
As long as there's a strict limit on which small coma knows this applies to, then fair enough.

As long as perfectly stable business don't exploit this, otherwise we'd end up seeing wages reduced everywhere. (Making the Brexit vote pointless since people spoke about immigration driving down wages)

I think the proposal was for those employing 3 people or less
I think the proposal was for those employing 3 people or less

That's fine I guess. Although I do wonder if some businesses will then decide to reduce their staff to three employees for the sake of saving money.

(Ultimately we want more people in work, so not a positive. On the flip side, it might encourage some businesses to employee an extra person)
To be honest what she said has been taken the wrong way. She says that due to many new Businesses failing and with how difficult it can be to start a business and to build and expand them, it would make it easier to reduce the "redtape" so to help them.. this in turn would help the Country! So she meant it in a good way.. and I happen to agree. Just because an idea sounds far fetched, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be suggested. So what if workers don't have as many right?! In my opinion they shouldn't!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Listening to her supporters last night, most of them seem to be very over on the hard right of the Tories, so there must be reasons why she's appealing to that crowd.

Is May any better? She was always mix of authoritarian-lite and flip-flopping incompetent. She was suggesting using the EU migrants already here as bargaining chips, despite campaigning to remain, it's cruel to give these people such uncertainty, they didn't choose any of this.
Original post by Iknowbest
So what if workers don't have as many right?! In my opinion they shouldn't!

I guess the challenge will be that a lot of the people who are angry and voted leave are fed up with their low wages and poor working conditions and they have been told that this is due to immigrants being willing to work for low wages in poor conditons. They probably expect that a vote to leave will mean the immigrants will be sent home and their wages and working conditions will go up as a result.

If that doesn't happen, there will be a backlash.
Is May any better? She was always mix of authoritarian-lite and flip-flopping incompetent. She was suggesting using the EU migrants already here as bargaining chips, despite campaigning to remain, it's cruel to give these people such uncertainty, they didn't choose any of this.

Yes, she's obviously throwing red meat to the slavering hordes on the backbench.

Must be odd being a Tory leader, bit like being the big cat keeper at a circus.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I guess the challenge will be that a lot of the people who are angry and voted leave are fed up with their low wages and poor working conditions and they have been told that this is due to immigrants being willing to work for low wages in poor conditons. They probably expect that a vote to leave will mean the immigrants will be sent home and their wages and working conditions will go up as a result.

If that doesn't happen, there will be a backlash.

Nope I do not agree.. immigrants still need to apply for jobs and go through the same process has anybody else to actually be employed by a company, that will have to pay minimum wage or above. Companies that advertise to fill job positions usually want to pay a certain amount and it is stated in the job advert, everybody then has a fair chance to apply and get that job.

So what is an example of this immigrants lowering wages?
Original post by Iknowbest
Nope I do not agree.. immigrants still need to apply for jobs and go through the same process has anybody else to actually be employed by a company, that will have to pay minimum wage or above. Companies that advertise to fill job positions usually want to pay a certain amount and it is stated in the job advert, everybody then has a fair chance to apply and get that job.

So what is an example of this immigrants lowering wages?

I agree, and the academic studies don't seem to find much evidence of immigration depressing wages. However there is a perception amongst most of those who vote UKIP/vote leave that immigrants depress wages and its just big business that wants them as cheap workers.

So a lot of people are expecting wages to rise, as a result of Brexit.
Not news. Other Tories would do the same thing or try once we leave the EU. It is what Jeremy Corbyn should have been arguing and even been prepared to debate with David Cameron over.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I agree, and the academic studies don't seem to find much evidence of immigration depressing wages. However there is a perception amongst most of those who vote UKIP/vote leave that immigrants depress wages and its just big business that wants them as cheap workers.

So a lot of people are expecting wages to rise, as a result of Brexit.

We have a minimum wage, which will not be reduced, in order to reduce the welfare bill.
I'd support them, as somebody who has plans to set up a software startup. I wouldn't want the only help I would have with that arbitrarily disappearing for paternity/maternity leave, no help would make production very difficult indeed.
What I don't understand is that many remainer's are the one's who are saying prices will rise because of the Brexit. The MAIN reason for prices rising in the UK is the National Minimum Wage increasing! This has been happening for years and prices for everyday goods have increased exceptionally. Many of the remainer's support the NMW increases!!

The farming debate is also annoying.. with it being reported it will now cost us more to subsidize the industry, when the fact is we give the EU 6million per year and they give 3 million back to the farming industry!! So in reality we are saving £3 million per year! We might also produce more of our own foods and remove the need to import (although it is still most likely cheaper to import due to lower wages in other Countries around the WORLD. not just in Europe!!

Back on topic.. I agree there should be less "workers rights" for small businesses, to help them start up. If only we could reduce the NMW chokehold that the UK is suffering from!! That will never happen of course :frown:
Original post by barnetlad
Not news. Other Tories would do the same thing or try once we leave the EU. It is what Jeremy Corbyn should have been arguing and even been prepared to debate with David Cameron over.

Jeremy Corbyn is a long standing eurosceptic, you can hardly be surprised if he didn't campaign all that earnestly.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I thought maternity pay was still largely taxpayer-funded for all businesses?

EDIT: There's a link here about it.
https://www.gov.uk/recover-statutory-payments

Small businesses actually get over-reimbursed slightly for it.

At one time Maternity Allowance as it was then called (there is still something called Maternity Allowance but it isn't the same) was paid as a contributory social security benefit and was earnings related. As a result the admin cost was borne by government and effectively there was far less pressure for contractual entitlement
(edited 7 years ago)

Not necessarily. Such a scenario is pretty unlikely but with good planning, one can work around it. I would say that if a small company is so dependent on its employees, once again, it is a failed business. No company no matter how small should be held ransom by the abilities of its employees.

Places like Sweden don't seem to have a problem and there both men and women can take paid leave for months at a time. But companies see the benefits to society which are reflected back into the work place and everyone prospers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending