The Student Room Group

Uni courses in Clearing revealed for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrSplash
Will a uni take into account the college that i go to, i go to a **** college......

During confirmation? No - that will already have been considered in deciding whether to make an offer or not and the conditions of the offer.
Original post by glebp
Was your course industrial econ, that you wanted to adjust to?

It was indeed, I rang them a week or so ago, they said the course was in clearing last year, but only very briefly like not even a day.

I would still be choosing between IBFE at Manchester and Nottingham, I guess this at least makes my choice much easier.
Original post by SlimShady96
It was indeed, I rang them a week or so ago, they said the course was in clearing last year, but only very briefly like not even a day.

I would still be choosing between IBFE at Manchester and Nottingham, I guess this at least makes my choice much easier.

Ind Econ is also one of my choices. I would say Nottingham is better for jobs, however the IBFE at Manchester looks quite interesting..
Original post by glebp
Ind Econ is also one of my choices. I would say Nottingham is better for jobs, however the IBFE at Manchester looks quite interesting..

What uni and course did you firm then?

Why would you say it's better for jobs? I thought they are both equal in terms of prestige, I would have deffo chosen Notts if they offered a placement year, also Manchester seems like a much more fun place to live, and when both unis are relatively equal, that is what it comes down to..
What uni and course did you firm then?

Why would you say it's better for jobs? I thought they are both equal in terms of prestige, I would have deffo chosen Notts if they offered a placement year, also Manchester seems like a much more fun place to live, and when both unis are relatively equal, that is what it comes down to..

Firmed Warwick for International Management

Nottingham has greater presence in investment banks relative to manchester and this is strongly evident. Furthermore, Industrial Economics seems to have some nice maths module, despite not asking for A Level maths, which is appealing in my case.

Nottingham's social life is one of the best in the UK, look it up. The amount of fun you will have there is immense.
Original post by glebp

Nottingham has greater presence in investment banks relative to manchester and this is strongly evident. Furthermore, Industrial Economics seems to have some nice maths module, despite not asking for A Level maths, which is appealing in my case.

Nottingham's social life is one of the best in the UK, look it up. The amount of fun you will have there is immense.

This is true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by glebp

Nice, so you picked management over econ due to the uni name?

I know that Nottingham has a great campus and all that, I've looked into it already, social life at all unis will be enjoyable no matter where you go, but there can be no disputing that Manchester is a better city than Nottingham, so in that sense it will be more fun.

Last time I checked Manchester was a semi- target also? Therefore they really aren't gona look at a Notts applicant over one from Manchester without readi g what else they have to offer.

Also I thought the industrial econ course wouldn't be perceived by IBs in the same way as the BSc econ course that Nottingham offer?

Besides I don't even know if I want to go into investment banking, the lifestyle really doesn't appeal to me, yes my main goal is to earn as much money as possible, but I don't want to completely sell my soul and have no life outside of work in my 20s.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nice, so you picked management due to the uni name rather than econ?

I know that Nottingham has a great campus and all that, I've looked into it already, social life at all unis will be enjoyable no matter where you go, but there can be no disputing that Manchester is a better city than Nottingham, so in that sense it will be more fun.

Last time I checked Manchester was a semi- target also? Therefore they really aren't gona look at a Notts applicant over one from Manchester without readi g what else they have to offer.

Also I thought the industrial econ course wouldn't be perceived by IBs in the same way as the BSc econ course that Nottingham offer?

Besides I don't even know if I want to go into investment banking, the lifestyle really doesn't appeal to me, yes my main goal is to earn as much money as possible, but I don't want to completely sell my soul and have no life outside of work in my 20s.

1. Not so much perception, but rather the opportunities that Notts gets is pretty solid. Plus if you're going to look at league tables which arbitrarily rank things, then looking at my IB grad/summer class data I've been collecting on the whole Notts places more

2. Really doesn't matter between the courses

3. Not all finance people work long hours

Posted from TSR Mobile
My firm is in clearing, does that mean anything?
Original post by Princepieman
1. Not so much perception, but rather the opportunities that Notts gets is pretty solid. Plus if you're going to look at league tables which arbitrarily rank things, then looking at my IB grad/summer class data I've been collecting on the whole Notts places more

2. Really doesn't matter between the courses

3. Not all finance people work long hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

Notts is closer to London, bigger, and has way less international students, therefore it's easy to see how your figures may be distorted.

Have a look on YouTube about a guy called Anton Kreil, he worked for all the top investment banks, earnt a lot of money, even has a BBC doc called 'million dollar traders'. He studied BA Econ at Manchester, got a graduate role at Goldman Sachs due to him trading while at uni with his own money.

He said he had 3 weeks off per year at best, also started the day at 5am and didn't get home until 2 am the next day, so yes had 3 hours sleep every night, and weekends? He spent them catching up on sleep. There is a reason they get paid so much, you have to sacrifice a lot. Not sure about you but that really doesn't appeal to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Edminzodo
My firm is in clearing, does that mean anything?

It means they still expect to have spaces on the course, which if anything is probably a good thing for you because it means they're potentially more likely to be lenient on results day (not that I think you'll need it).
Notts is closer to London, bigger, and has way less international students, therefore it's easy to see how your figures may be distorted.

Have a look on YouTube about a guy called Anton Kreil, he worked for all the top investment banks, earnt a lot of money, even has a BBC doc called 'million dollar traders'. He studied BA Econ at Manchester, got a graduate role at Goldman Sachs due to him trading while at uni with his own money.

He said he had 3 weeks off per year at best, also started the day at 5am and didn't get home until 2 am the next day, so yes had 3 hours sleep every night, and weekends? He spent them catching up on sleep. There is a reason they get paid so much, you have to sacrifice a lot. Not sure about you but that really doesn't appeal to me.

Manchester is a bigger uni, btw. Still doesn't make sense to use overall student population when only a subset of that will be interested in finance.

Anton kreil is annoying tbh, now that he's made his f u money he's just trying to promo his own personal brand via mostly bedazzled seminars. Manc grads are obviously found everywhere in finance, just arguing that Notts sends more on average - you can conclude that sending marginally more isn't enough incentive to turn down Manchester or you can conclude that it is; that's the real choice.

He's vastly exaggerating. I have S&T contacts in most banks now, and they usually clock 6-7am til 5-6pm, no weekend work - all nighters don't happen unless you get a crappy FX shift.

Eh, the only division where you seriously sacrifice your life is in IBD, most other divisions only work marginally more than the average hard working individual - a difference of say 45-50 hours vs 60 ish hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by glebp

This makes me even more excited to hopefully go there judging by your last paragraph ahhhh
Manchester is a bigger uni, btw. Still doesn't make sense to use overall student population when only a subset of that will be interested in finance.

Anton kreil is annoying tbh, now that he's made his f u money he's just trying to promo his own personal brand via mostly bedazzled seminars. Manc grads are obviously found everywhere in finance, just arguing that Notts sends more on average - you can conclude that sending marginally more isn't enough incentive to turn down Manchester or you can conclude that it is; that's the real choice.

He's vastly exaggerating. I have S&T contacts in most banks now, and they usually clock 6-7am til 5-6pm, no weekend work - all nighters don't happen unless you get a crappy FX shift.

Eh, the only division where you seriously sacrifice your life is in IBD, most other divisions only work marginally more than the average hard working individual - a difference of say 45-50 hours vs 60 ish hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham is the biggest uni in the country, I'm pretty sure of that, but anyway.. I don't think there is a real difference between them in that sense, that's worth considering, Manchester's business school is certainly better, Manchester is much higher in the world rankings and much more known Internationally, yet Nottingham is marginally higher in the UK league tables and has a better reputation amongst people in the UK due to being top 10 in the leagues, around 10 years ago.

Could go on all day really, I don't know what one I'd choose but I deffinately wouldn't base my decision on such insignificant factors like whether investment banks employ marginally more grads from a particular uni.
Original post by She-Ra
The UCAS course finder has updated today as will the Telegraph tool.....

http://search.ucas.com/

More information to come later :cookie:

Loads of med chem courses, I wonder why it isn't so popular?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Economics is a pretty competitive course so the fact it is clearing is a bit worrying especially in Russel Group unis. Hmm

ASFIK Manchester isn't held in particularly high regard for economics, hence the low entry requirements.

However what is, is maths at KINGS COLLEGE LONDON. My jaw dropped when I saw that!
Nottingham is the biggest uni in the country, I'm pretty sure of that, but anyway.. I don't think there is a real difference between them in that sense, that's worth considering, Manchester's business school is certainly better, Manchester is much higher in the world rankings and much more known Internationally, yet Nottingham is marginally higher in the UK league tables and has a better reputation amongst people in the UK due to being top 10 in the leagues, around 10 years ago.

Could go on all day really, I don't know what one I'd choose but I deffinately wouldn't base my decision on such insignificant factors like whether investment banks employ marginally more grads from a particular uni.

Uh huh:
Notts (UK campus only):

Manchester:

You can google for the source

Cool, I can pull up league tables too dude. Anyway, you obviously want to go to Manchester, so go ahead man.

Exactly the whole point, which I outlined in my post - it is a personal decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Course it is.
Uh huh:
Notts (UK campus only):

Manchester:y

You can google for the source

Cool, I can pull up league tables too dude. Anyway, you obviously want to go to Manchester, so go ahead man.

Exactly the whole point, which I outlined in my post - it is a personal decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, I remember seeing the figures a while ago but was clearly misread the 'worldwide' bit, makes sense now as they have have 2 campuses in asia.

I still don't know what one I'd choose, but Manchester is stronger on paper, but then Notts is stronger in perceptions and whatnot. I kind of hope Notts doesn't go into clearing as I am very indecisive.

Have a look at this, you will probably laugh at it, but still there as some half decent stats

https://versus.com/en/university-of-nottingham-vs-university-of-manchester
Original post by jamestg
ASFIK Manchester isn't held in particularly high regard for economics, hence the low entry requirements.

However what is, is maths at KINGS COLLEGE LONDON. My jaw dropped when I saw that!

Yes Notts is very good for economics and they have one of the best departments in the country, a level above manchesters, but they are econ departments and I'm only interested in business schools, the industrial econ course at Notts is taught at the business school.

Manchester's business school in this regard is a level above, as evident with higher requirements in BSc Accounting for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending